Forums are back in action! ×

Bodyweight Strength Training AND C25K?

It seems that around the middle of a 6-week challenge I start mulling over what my next 6-week challenge will be. This challenge I have begun bodyweight strength training with The Angry Birds Workout three times a week. Before this challenge I never exercised regularly so I am concentrating on building a habit. I have started wanting to do some kind of training on my "off" days. I have looked into the Couch-2-5K program and like it. So I am wondering if it would be a good idea to start it on my non-strength training days in the next challenge or am I putting too much on my body too quickly? FYI, I am approximately 80 pounds overweight and as I said earlier, really new to exercise.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

STR 1, DEX 0, STA 0, CON 3, WIS 4, CHA 1

1st Challenge   2nd Challenge    3rd Challenge   Current Challenge

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

Are you doing any kind of cardio now? Walking?

If the answer is no, and bodyweight is all your doing, I would start walking 2 off days a week. Start off with 20 minutes, using the first 5 as a warm up. After a week, go to 3 days of walking. The next week, add 5 minutes to the session until you can comfortably walk 30 minutes. This shouldn't be at a leisurely stroll however, you should feel like your working and sweating a bit. By doing this, you will start to build bone density and muscular endurance that you will need starting C25K.

If you have a GPS smartphone, use a GPS app like runkeeper to keep track of your pace. try to get to around 15 minute miles before tackling the run/walk programs.

Losing weight is easy, the lifestyle change is hard. Nothing worth doing is easy. If it were easy, everyone would be fit and healthy.  - me

Level 0 Human Ranger

started at 303

current weight : 225

goal : 205 or 15 percent body fat

bench : 180

squat : 295

Are you doing any kind of cardio now? Walking?

If the answer is no, and bodyweight is all your doing, I would start walking 2 off days a week. Start off with 20 minutes, using the first 5 as a warm up. After a week, go to 3 days of walking. The next week, add 5 minutes to the session until you can comfortably walk 30 minutes. This shouldn't be at a leisurely stroll however, you should feel like your working and sweating a bit. By doing this, you will start to build bone density and muscular endurance that you will need starting C25K.

If you have a GPS smartphone, use a GPS app like runkeeper to keep track of your pace. try to get to around 15 minute miles before tackling the run/walk programs.

No, I'm not currently walking. I have a treadmill at home, I just don't use it often. The streets around my house aren't really safe for walking because they get a lot of through-traffic and have no sidewalks.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

I would work up to 30 minutes of brisk walking 3-4 days per week before you start C25K. Despite what the name suggests, you do want a decent walking base before you start it, otherwise you have a much higher risk of injury or burnout.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Heya.  

I am a 3x/week C25K + 3x/week strength training girl here.    Doing both is possible as I am living proof of that.    Couple tips that I have learned over the last 12 weeks (I've done this routine for 2 challenges in a row now.)

• Listen to and trust your body.   If something is sore from strength, and running makes it more sore ... walk that day.
  • Don't be OCD about it.  If setting 3/3 is what will get you to really aim for that, great.   If it will force you to push beyond common sense, then lower it to 2/2 and give yourself 'bonus' points if you do more than that.
  • Trust the program.  C25K REALLY works.  In highschool, I was 'excused' from the mile run due to asthma.  I graduated C25K 3 weeks ago and run 2.5-3 miles non stop every time I go out.
  • Don't be afraid to do both on the same day if you feel up to it.   There were times I knew I had a busy week and would run during lunch, strength train in the evening.
  • Be sure to still have a rest day.   Once a week, I have a day where I do nothing but video games.  Body needs time to repair.

That said.  Every one is different.    Which is why I put tip number one at the top, because it is most important.    Also, don't feel bad if you have to stay on a certain week of C25K for extra runs.  Just do it at your pace and it will work.    I was the biggest anti-runner ever, and now I actually think I am starting to crave them...

As for the strength training side.   I do all bodyweight stuff, usually at a local playground (ala bar brothers style).    Between the runs and the strength, all my clothes are too big now and I am feeling definition underneath the layer of 'muscle protecting fluff'.   I also think the strength side is really helping my metabolism and keeping me on the path of overall healthy.   I've lost weight before, but this is the first time I've added strength training and it is really changing my self esteem and confidence in a major, and GOOD way.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

That is awesome that you are doing so well, Starpuck. I don't know where I'll be by the time the next challenge starts because I've had major GI problems for over a week. I've only been able to do my workout once. I'm hoping this will clear up soon so I can get back on the exercise train.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

It just sounds like I am doing well.  Really really, the key is to learn your own body and move by your own limits.   No one else's matter.  :)   Hope you feel better soon, and remember, Even the smallest step in the right direction is better than no step at all.

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

I've been doing BW training two days and Strength/Weights one day a week with C25K on the off days for about 4 or 5 weeks (had an off week when I was on vacation with the family)  and the I've been feeling pretty good.  Achy knees some days but that could be the amount of BW squats I'm doing or that I generally have knee pain also.  I would echo Starpucks comments as well. 

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2