Forums are back in action! ×

Smoking cessation/ hypotherapy

Harknes

So I have been trying to cut down on my smoking, it is not working. I can get down to 15 a day but lower than that and I bounce up to around 25. Specifically I was wondering if anyone here had first hand knowledge of hypnotherapy. I had a co-worker who swore by it but we no longer work together. Any other thoughts on the topic would be great.

Yes. Yes! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep one last time! Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath! Now for ruin! And a red dawn! FORTH EORLINGAS!!

my mother did it a few times and it didn't work at all for her.

i didn't try it when i quit smoking. i liked the patch personally.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I actually saw a clinical hypnotherapist and when I walked out, I did not smoke anymore. At that point I had been smoking for 10 years or so and 2+ packs a day.

I also walked into the appointment expecting to be done with smoking once I went the session. I am sure that also had a lot to do with it.

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

I just got a livingsocial deal for a weight loss or smoking cessation hypnotherapy session. I'm not really sure it's my thing but $30 (81% off) for 2 people in a 3 hour session with free downloads, why not? I'm doing mine this Saturday so I'll know more in a month or so.

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

My dad quit cold-turkey after smoking since he was 17 (he was in his forties when he quit) and that was that. Never smoked again.

I never smoked myself... so I don't really know about that part.

However I do know that hypnosis can't do anything you don't want to.

So keep that in mind. Hypnosis only works when you let it.

(can't believe how often my hypnosis class is of use?!)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

So I have been trying to cut down on my smoking, it is not working. I can get down to 15 a day but lower than that and I bounce up to around 25. Specifically I was wondering if anyone here had first hand knowledge of hypnotherapy. I had a co-worker who swore by it but we no longer work together. Any other thoughts on the topic would be great.

Read this and this. It'll be six years come January for me and I look back at that time as one of the best decisions of my life and, thanks to these books, it was relatively easy. A NF Rebel should love these books as they explain why you're addicted and de-program you.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MrParsnip the level 0 Fremen
Current challenge
Read this and this. It'll be six years come January for me and I look back at that time as one of the best decisions of my life and, thanks to these books, it was relatively easy. A NF Rebel should love these books as they explain why you're addicted and de-program you.

+1 Allen Car's Easy Way is fantastic and works. I used it and have passed it on to others who have used it successfully.

Being 31, smoking since 18, I gotta say that the only thing that has worked for me is the ecig. I tried gum and patches before but the gum was getting expensive and the patch never worked at all. There are several brands at different prices. Since going "ecigged" , I've been able to run and workout without the awful feeling that I'll die in the treadmill.

I never did any hypnosis or anything. But, after getting serious about the idea of quitting I told all my friends (smoking and non-smoking) my quit date. Then, I came up with the top 30 reasons for me to quit smoking. I carried that list around with me and read it anytime I wanted to smoke. I think I spent about 3 hours per day reading the list the first week. I promised myself that I would read the list until logic outweighed desire, and I promised myself that I wouldn't put a cigarette in my mouth.

The list was super beneficial for me.

GNOME WARRIOR LEVEL SIX
STR 22.25 | DEX 7.25 | STA 15 | CON 23.75 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 10.25

Warrior Challenge #27 Champion

PissedTrojan. Good for you, getting off the cigs is a huuuuuge step. If you're using Ecigs you are still addicted to nicotine and the chance for a backslide is always there, no matter how strong your willpower is. Read the book MrParsnip links. It is fantastic. Literally un-brainwashes you from everything you think you know about nicotine/cigs etc. It makes quitting a breeze!

PissedTrojan. Good for you, getting off the cigs is a huuuuuge step. If you're using Ecigs you are still addicted to nicotine and the chance for a backslide is always there, no matter how strong your willpower is. Read the book MrParsnip links. It is fantastic. Literally un-brainwashes you from everything you think you know about nicotine/cigs etc. It makes quitting a breeze!

I'll give that book a whirl. Sounds worth trying!

The thing about ecigs, is that the "refills" are also available on nicotine free versions. Most of them can be found in fun flavors like chocolate (my favorite), which brings me to another point: sometimes you're not addicted to nicotine, but to the actions linked to smoking (for example, burning one after a long day at work, or when you're with friends having a drink). It's always useful to figure out why you smoke, some are addicted to nicotine, some need to hold something in their hands to calm themselves, others relate it to relax/fun times or even focus on difficult times...

I never did get hooked on cigarettes (started out with unfiltered clove cigarettes in high school, and coughing blood after a few months is quite the motivation to quit.)

My wife smoked when we first started dating; she cut back when I refused to kiss her if she had been smoking. She quit entirely when I started throwing her cigarettes out the car window every time she bought them. From what I've seen, I think the best way to quit is accountability - if you have someone in your life who makes important that you stop smoking, it's more likely to happen.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Archived