Forums are back in action! ×

I could be reading the spreadsheet wrong, but it looks like there isn’t a deadlifting record in my age and weight class…

USAPL Record Database

ETA This seems to be because the USAPL left the international federation and changed it’s weight classes, requiring all new records to be set.  However, looking at results, there don’t seem to be any old-timers who weigh under 81kg so if this biking thing doesn’t work out, I’ve got a fitness option available.  

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

43 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I could be reading the spreadsheet wrong, but it looks like there isn’t a deadlifting record in my age and weight class…

There is now. Congratulation, whatever it was! ?

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 3/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

5d76a37d6f24eb16c02ff92f?width=1000&form

Haha. I remember that era. I ran in a cheap knock off.  

On 3/4/2022 at 8:03 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Oh crud.  I better get cracking

Wait. I that you were already fit with bulgy quads.  

On 3/4/2022 at 8:32 PM, Rooks said:

You and me both.

You’re still a youngin’. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:50 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Look on the bright side... you're men. ;) 

You’re not wrong. Menopause is not kind.  

On 3/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, Elastigirl said:

My theory is if I keep wearing it , it will eventually come back in style, right?!

I knew I should have kept all my neon gear.  

On 3/4/2022 at 11:41 PM, aramis said:

Statistically speaking, none of us is considered. We all here are outliers for trying to live better/healthier/stronger. 

That is actually reassuring.  

On 3/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I like your version better.

I'm going with this one.

Same.  

On 3/6/2022 at 3:31 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

USAPL Record Database

ETA This seems to be because the USAPL left the international federation and changed it’s weight classes, requiring all new records to be set.  However, looking at results, there don’t seem to be any old-timers who weigh under 81kg so if this biking thing doesn’t work out, I’ve got a fitness option available.  

Don’t listen to me when I say things like this. It’s just my ranger brain firing.  I mean, it would be funny though.  

On 3/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, deftona said:

There is now. Congratulation, whatever it was! ?

Hah. I haven’t done a legitimate deadlift since I was in a younger and lighter class.  @EricMN should take the honor.  

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Friday March 4, 2022

I did a bunch of laundry since we were going out of town and were shipping the kids off. I don’t think I did much else of note.  

Cardio - rode the trainer 45 minutes. It was meh. 
I watched the end of The Avengers. I’d rate it at good-enough-for-the-trainer-or-even-on-its-own.  

Saturday March 5, 2022

Got up earlyish so I could train in order to get my points for the health insurance app scam.  

KB Conditioning

IIRC Working Sets

2HKBSwings 11x10 at 24kg

OHKBSnatch 10x5/5 at 16kg

I felt good and wanted to do more, but was anxious to pack and stuff.  

The wedding was really nice and we stayed in the hotel in a tiny, but lovely room.  The funny thing was, all the kids (~30 years old) were dancing to 80’s and 90’s music.  

Spoilered for sad part. 

Spoiler

I was wondering how I made the cut.  The groom’s dad has terminal cancer. He’s about to start what will very likely be his last round of chemo so the groom invited a few of his dad’s oldest friends.

I went on a date with the woman sitting across from me about 30 years ago.  That date was really short because she didn’t like me and called me a ‘fucking yuppie’ and left.  I only remembered her because she told how she knew the parents of the groom.  

Sunday March 6, 2022

My sense of taste got weird and I needed to sleep all day. Probably because I’ve been training too frequently.  

I wore my heart rate monitor when I shoveled snow. I hit 300 calories which was enough for max health insurance scam points.  

Monday March 7, 2022

We will almost certainly be on strike tomorrow.  My class really didn’t handle that possibility well.  Their learning has been so disrupted and lockdown was traumatic enough that it’s  understandable.  

ETA Welp, we’re officially on strike.  

I feel ok and could train, but I’m taking a rest day to be sure.  My brain could use a deload from the stress.  

I got enough steps in for it to count as a workout and that pushed me over the edge and I met the requirement for the “bonus” of my health insurance not getting even worse next year.  Im trying to recognize all the physical wins I get and while it’s stupid that I have to do this, it’s definitely a win.  

Peace Out my Nerd Friends. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I went on a date with the woman sitting across from me about 30 years ago.  That date was really short because she didn’t like me and called me a ‘fucking yuppie’ and left.  I only remembered her because she told how she knew the parents of the groom.  

Major Holden Caulfield vibes, think you dodged a bullet there. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:39 AM, deftona said:

Major Holden Caulfield vibes, think you dodged a bullet there. 

My whole, sad dating career could be considered dodging a bullet.  

On 3/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, Rooks said:

Ugh. Sorry sir. I only hope this leads to better pay for you teachers. You guys deserve way more than you get. 

Thanks brother, I appreciate the support.  My guess is teacher pay will be the concession in order to get a raise for non-teacher staff and more student supports.  

• Like 2

Tuesday March 8, 2022

The strike has had a strong beginning.  Lots of enthusiasm and overwhelming public support.  We picketed by the school in the morning and central office in the afternoon.  It was amazing how many people turned out.  I got 16,000 steps in by the time we were done and I took a 3 hour nap as soon as I got home. 

My pulled ab is better, I did stability ball roll-outs and 2 sets of get ups. I failed the get up test and shut it down.  

Wednesday March 9, 2022

Still on strike.  So many people brought us coffee that I was vibrating for a while.  Picketed by school in the morning and at the capital in the afternoon.  

Since we were here anyway, we’re at Hmongtown eating grilled meats, purple rice, and bubble tea.  We should get here more often. 

In between I got a real short workout in.  
No abs, no get ups. 
Trap Bar Deadlift 200# 8 + 5 reps.

I get to move up next time.  I decided to keep deadlift and front squat on opposite days to accommodate my lame recovery ability.  
Double KB Clean & Press 16/16kg 6, 5, 5, 5, 4 reps.  

Peace Out Friends.  

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Saw the news before checking on here, being partly apart of the Minneapolis community now as me reflected. Feel bad for the students especially as spring fever is flying in. 

Glad you beat the insurance app's game! 

Hope you find ways to take care of yourself this week!

Hopefully this will be better for the students in the long run, but no, our current students don’t deserve another disruption in their learning or their lives.  

3 hours ago, Rooks said:

What is a Get Up Test?

My shoulders are my weak point so I use them as a circuit breaker.  I do light (12 kg) get ups as a warm up/ movement prep and when I can’t keep them stable I knew I’m either overtired, overworked, or just plain unfocused and I need to shut it down. If I power through it’s invariably a crappy session that doesn’t do me any good anyway.  

• Like 6

Just catching up.  It sounds like you've got a lot going on so taking it easy on workouts seems smart.  Good luck on the strike.  I hope some outcomes are worth the trouble for you and your students. 

• Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Thursday March 10, 2022

Still on strike and picketing.  It’s been kinda cold these last two days, 6F/ -14c (if I mathed right).  Even though I have the gear to keep warm being in the cold all day has left me stiff and sore.  

ETA I’ve been put in charge of the snack wagon.  So I’m in the middle of our picket line pulling a wagon full of water. Granola bars, fruit, candy (I bought a ton), hand warmers, and a staple gun for sign repair.  

Cardio - I rode the trainer, but it was super meh. I couldn’t even get it into zone 2 with more mental power than I have right now so I shut it down after half an hour.  

How many Iron Mans (Iron Men?) are there?  I’m watching Iron Man 3.  I don’t like it, but maybe it gets better.  It’s too slow for a trainer movie or a superhero movie.  Pepper Potts started out as one of the best parts of the other movies, but so far she seems to be merely a damsel in distress.  

Peace Out Nerd Friends.  

• Like 6

Iron Man 3 is one of the worst movies in the MCU. And while they do have several very good movies starring Ironman, none of them have his name in the movie title ;) 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

kinda cold these last two days, 6F/ -14c

Your skill in understating never ceases to amaze

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 3/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, Shello said:

Just catching up.  It sounds like you've got a lot going on so taking it easy on workouts seems smart.  Good luck on the strike.  I hope some outcomes are worth the trouble for you and your students. 

Thanks.  I have to believe it’s for the better in the long run because this spring is going to be cray cray (does anyone else still say this).

On 3/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Iron Man 3 is one of the worst movies in the MCU. And while they do have several very good movies starring Ironman, none of them have his name in the movie title ;) 

It’s sure not one of the best. Iron Man is a weird character to get your marquee.  Isn’t he an alcoholic mess in the comics?

On 3/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're just gonna have to power through phase 2 of the MCU.

That… does not sound promising.  

On 3/11/2022 at 5:52 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I don’t know how to respond to this, but thanks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friday March 11, 2022

Tl; dr strike stuff; no training. 

Still on strike.  Still picketing. Yesterday was kinda cold again (6F/ -14c), but the wind made it feel pretty cold.  I have these mittens that I can only wear once or twice a year because they’re just plum hot and they were chilly ? enough that I threw chemical hand warmers in there.  I felt real bad for the folks who aren’t geared up well enough or aren’t furnaces like me.  Luckily, if we’re still out there, it’s going to warm up next week. 

Still lots of community support.  Some folks paid for a food truck to come and feed us and I’m still drinking far too much free coffee.  Someone gave me a box of hand warmers to pass out and they were life savers.  

Mrs. Sloth works in the schools, but not on one of the contracts that is striking.  She is doing emergency daycare and working with the scab teachers.  She says it’s pretty awkward.  They seem to be of two sorts, folks who can’t handle not having an income or the chance of losing health insurance (I can certainly understand this) and conservatives who don’t think collective bargaining should exist. 

After picketing I spent the whole rest of the day on the couch.  I don’t know if it’s the cold or the fact that I don’t handle uncertainty as well as I used to (this is more understatement @WhiteGhost) but I have been physically and mentally exhausted all week.  

I wanted to snatch, but I never got off the couch. 

Peace My Friends.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

and conservatives who don’t think collective bargaining should exist

Didn't you know this game is a race to the bottom?

Solidarity, from all the way over here. I'd top up your snack wagon (this isn't a terrible attempt at flirting, unless it would work in case it might be)

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m watching Iron Man 3.  I don’t like it, but maybe it gets better.  

I literally remember nothing about that movie except a bit about the ending which I won't give away. And I like Tony Stark / Iron Man.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:52 AM, WhiteGhost said:

It's gonna hit 50F / 10C next week, and I'm pretty sure I'll be out walking in t-shirts. I'm so excited. 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Rooks said:

I literally remember nothing about that movie except a bit about the ending which I won't give away. And I like Tony Stark / Iron Man.

I like him to, and the main reason I do is because of how his character grows and changes through the movies. (And that is as much detail as I'll go into, since anything more than that is spoilers.) Thor is another favorite, for similar reasons.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I will say phase three will make it worth it.

More than. Phase 3 includes some of the best movies out there, not just in MCU but in general.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Too true!

Hope the strike resolves quickly, @Sloth the Enduring

• Thanks 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

20 hours ago, deftona said:

Solidarity, from all the way over here. I'd top up your snack wagon (this isn't a terrible attempt at flirting, unless it would work in case it might be)

Thanks ? giving me snacks (or tacos) would probably be the most effective way to flirt with me.  

20 hours ago, Rooks said:

It's gonna hit 50F / 10C next week, and I'm pretty sure I'll be out walking in t-shirts. I'm so excited. 

There were a couple moments at the ending that I thought were pretty cool.  I realize I’m in the minority in not liking Iron Man/ Tony Stark. 

20 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I like him to, and the main reason I do is because of how his character grows and changes through the movies. (And that is as much detail as I'll go into, since anything more than that is spoilers.) Thor is another favorite, for similar reasons.

I like Thor except for the bombastic accent.  

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I will say phase three will make it worth it.

Oof. I’ll be off the trainer soon. I don’t think I’ll get to those this year.  

• Like 3