IMG_20240503_133508_457.thumb.jpeg.41811938be15703f1e3b0076a07d5b20.jpeg

went on an outing to truro today. Definitely got the steps in, found a lovely second hand book shop i must vuisit again. Best type of second hand book shop, one of the ones that look like there was a book based landslide inside at some point and no one bothered to tidy up. Got a lovely miniature copy of Shakespeare's sonnets. Modern binding but old style and very pretty. 

got pens. Trying to find a new brand i like as the ones i have are so old they're no longer made 😅.  Didnt have the best selection, but i got some to try. Also found a white gel pen will be having some fun with that. 

finished ghost walk. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Think i might pick something historical next but haven't made my mind up. 

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

Those boots are badass!

...do they come in black?

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Today is a beautiful day. Blue skies, sunshine, white fluffy clouds, birdsong. All the good stuff.

sadly i burnt out yesterday (tried to get too much done at once. Note to self, stupid idea) so have to rest 😑 and not go and enjoy the weather like i want to.

Positive note. I did sleep well last night. Still waking up at 6, but not sure what to do about that. Light levels are not usually something that effect me this much so im hoping i adjust at some point. 

started watching dead boy detectives yesterday. Stellar show, very worth a look. 

weighed this morning and frustratingly i am kind of oscillating weight wise and not really loosing anything. Might need to try being more careful how i get the extra 200-300 cal as i have been struggling to get 1450calories just from 3 meals and have been tending to fill the remainder with less healthy things like biscuits intermittently. More fruit is possibly a good thing to try instead. 

trying to make more of an effort engage and talk to people when out. I can be very self contained (which is probably the old fashioned way of saying introvert) and energy limitations do not help this. 
want to get better at talking to people as it is definitely a skill that can be learned with practice. Engaging with people is also something I've noticed I've become worse at since covid (for example I've noticed my eye contact is now much worse than before lockdown), so want to fix. All a self confidence thing probubly.

also need to learn not to micro dissect throw away conversations with strangers for days afterwords…this one is ongoing. Fixating on should/would/could’s ad nauseam is a pain. 

IMG_7369.jpeg.decbd4146b7ae2d4994501175209a66c.jpeg
(Sadly this lovely sketch had lost its atists name when i found it, so if anyone knows, yell)

IMG_8811.thumb.jpeg.cb1bec0d4bf3dee9b555d008b0459e17.jpegwater tracker just about done. Need to do the calligraphy for the title but otherwise finished. Came out pretty well. 

got a little bit of gardening done. So many selfsets and trilobal leek everywhere. Wild Strawberries and primroses are taking over. 
Need to chill now. Maybe do a smidgen toward the room clearing later, see how i go. 

IMG_8824.thumb.jpeg.1d44f15efe46c29107f3d18430390ccd.jpeg

• Like 6

Cute boots, your clematis is lovely, yay new pens (hopefully a few you like in the mix), and I hear you about the eye contact. Mine has been improving since I started my new job, but I really find I stare anywhere but at the person I'm talking to on video calls. 😅

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Ooh, I love the color you chose for the clematis

Thanks. There are some nice nurseries round here that have massive selections of the things. Ive always been rather fond of the purple and pale pink ones. 
plus purple seemed a seredipidously easy colour to just fill in with a single bush pen. Quick and easy updates is what im aiming for with these trackers, even if they take a while to create initially. 

• Like 1

I wish you great ruthlessness, efficacious naps, and happy sketching.

On 5/2/2024 at 9:45 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Blujays are very pretty critters though

Eichelhäher! They are pretty but screechy. 

10 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

weighed this morning and frustratingly i am kind of oscillating weight wise and not really loosing anything. 

Since when? If it's less than two weeks, don't worry about it just keep going.

Might need to try being more careful how i get the extra 200-300 cal as i have been struggling to get 1450calories just from 3 meals and have been tending to fill the remainder with less healthy things like biscuits intermittently. More fruit is possibly a good thing to try instead. 

If the calories are the same it shouldn't make any difference to your weight, though it may impact your satiety and wellbeing.

also need to learn not to micro dissect throw away conversations with strangers for days afterwords…this one is ongoing. Fixating on should/would/could’s ad nauseam is a pain. 

So painful. I know it well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

wish you great ruthlessness, efficacious naps, and happy sketching

Thank you. I need all the help i can get

Since when? If it's less than two weeks, don't worry about it just keep going

Since we rolled the last challenge over minus a week. So maybe a month 😕

admittedly i have been walking less in this time bracket, but was hoping to lose something on slightly more calories. 
Im going to stick with the 1450kal for a bit longer anyway, want to give it a good crack. But it is frustrating. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Since we rolled the last challenge over minus a week. So maybe a month 😕

admittedly i have been walking less in this time bracket, but was hoping to lose something on slightly more calories. 
Im going to stick with the 1450kal for a bit longer anyway, want to give it a good crack. But it is frustrating. 

I understand the frustration. I also didn't lose anything for the first several weeks of this cut. I doubt the walking would make a huge difference unless you were doing a lot.

Are you weighing everything on a kitchen scale? If not, the number is likely inaccurate. People who estimate calories without weighing can undercount by a third, or even a half in some studies. If you are weighing and counting everything and it's 1450, then I would stick at it a bit longer. I assume you're at least as heavy as me. It's unlikely your TDEE is so low that 1450 is not a significant deficit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Are you weighing everything on a kitchen scale? If not, the number is likely inaccurate. People who estimate calories without weighing can undercount by a third, or even a half in some studies

I have got a bit lax a this. I will have to remember to do it again.

I assume you're at least as heavy as me. It's unlikely your TDEE is so low that 1450 is not a significant deficit. 

Im currently 238lb. Maths says 1450 should be vaguelye a 500kal deficit. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I have got a bit lax a this. I will have to remember to do it again.

Im currently 238lb. Maths says 1450 should be vaguelye a 500kal deficit. 

Yeah my TDEE is currently 2100 calories at 147lb, 5'5.5". I would expect your TDEE to be higher. Miscounting calories seems the likeliest explanation (even trained nutritionists dramatically underestimate calories when asked to estimate without knowing the exact weights), with "it just takes time" as a very probable second. 

Edit: a seriously low TDEE is also possible, it's just less probable. Something to look into after ruling out the more common reasons.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Edit: a seriously low TDEE is also possible, it's just less probable. Something to look into after ruling out the more common reasons.

I was on 200 fewer cals before and lost weight well (vaguely 1 - 1.5lb a week) . But a) struggled to stick to it and b) sensible humans on here pointed out id got the maths wrong. 

my TDEE according to the NF calculation thingy is 2231.

but there is no way i am doing a mile and a half of walking a day. Which is the lowest excercise level i can set it on. 
my cals could probubly be a little higher (1500-1600 was the suggestion made by people) but im playing with added fun of meds that screw my metabolism over and make me put on weight very easily.

upping my cals again is something ive considered, but i thought id give 1450 a bash before doing that in an effort to try and work out where the best calore balance is for me

I am going to peg it on needing weigh stuff again. Definetly Seems most likely

• Like 2

Today was long and very buisy. Went for a spontaneous sea swim this morning and went and played music in the afternoon. 
Took the mando to get some practice playing with others, but the room was packed and i had terrible stage fright half way through causing my left hand to go stiff and basically jam up (new and rather unwelcome version of nerves i havent experienced before)

now have a cracking head. Most likely due to weather as 3/4 of us have a headache today. 

probably going to pay tomorrow for such a buisy day, but it was fun and definitely helped my mood. So worth it. 

• Like 4

On 5/3/2024 at 2:51 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

IMG_8793.thumb.jpeg.6574fd4d066d290a7e9e59ea7297a5ce.jpeg

i especially  like the brass hardware. 10/10

On 5/3/2024 at 11:20 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

IMG_20240503_133508_457.thumb.jpeg.41811938be15703f1e3b0076a07d5b20.jpeg

such a gorgeous picture!!

On 5/3/2024 at 11:20 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

went on an outing to truro today. Definitely got the steps in, found a lovely second hand book shop i must vuisit again. Best type of second hand book shop, one of the ones that look like there was a book based landslide inside at some point and no one bothered to tidy up. Got a lovely miniature copy of Shakespeare's sonnets. Modern binding but old style and very pretty. 

ooh that sounds like a treasure of a shop. 

On 5/4/2024 at 1:37 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

Today is a beautiful day. Blue skies, sunshine, white fluffy clouds, birdsong. All the good stuff.

sadly i burnt out yesterday (tried to get too much done at once. Note to self, stupid idea) so have to rest 😑 and not go and enjoy the weather like i want to.

Positive note. I did sleep well last night. Still waking up at 6, but not sure what to do about that. Light levels are not usually something that effect me this much so im hoping i adjust at some point. 

started watching dead boy detectives yesterday. Stellar show, very worth a look. 

also just started!! Clever world building but do they share the universe with gaimans sandman?

weighed this morning and frustratingly i am kind of oscillating weight wise and not really loosing anything. Might need to try being more careful how i get the extra 200-300 cal as i have been struggling to get 1450calories just from 3 meals and have been tending to fill the remainder with less healthy things like biscuits intermittently. More fruit is possibly a good thing to try instead. 

mood. It’s a luxury but can you do one of those in body scans? They break out lean body mass vs body fat, and that helps me with the gaslighting of raw number changes on the scale. 

trying to make more of an effort engage and talk to people when out. I can be very self contained (which is probably the old fashioned way of saying introvert) and energy limitations do not help this. 
want to get better at talking to people as it is definitely a skill that can be learned with practice. Engaging with people is also something I've noticed I've become worse at since covid (for example I've noticed my eye contact is now much worse than before lockdown), so want to fix. All a self confidence thing probubly.

I feel this! I’ve noticed I can do an easier time engaging strangers when I can find a narrative to fit into. Sorta like at a craft fair or something, I can play the part of inquisitive patron and feel like there’s a robust script to follow. Sometimes when I’m in a new neighborhood and I don’t know the demographics or history, I get overwhelmed trying to engage. 

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

21 minutes ago, Laghail said:

also just started!! Clever world building but do they share the universe with gaimans sandman

No clue. Hard to tell to be honest. 

22 minutes ago, Laghail said:

mood. It’s a luxury but can you do one of those in body scans? They break out lean body mass vs body fat, and that helps me with the gaslighting of raw number changes on the scale

Seriously doubt anywhere does those south of plymouth (eg. Devon)

22 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Sorta like at a craft fair or something, I can play the part of inquisitive patron and feel like there’s a robust script to follow

This is a good idea, i will try this so etime. 

so, trying something new. End of week recap. Thought it might help me catch things that are slipping.

- So far lights out at a good time is going well. 7/7

- Getting up at a sensible time has been about 50% according to the bujo. 3 /8

- Clear the tbr is also going reasonably well, though i did buy a couple of books.

- naps have petered off slightly towards the end of the week. Need to pick those up again 4/7

- Drinking enough water could be going better. 3/7

- mandolin practice is…well, not going. I played it yesterday but it was less practice more hand shaking nerves.  Need to make more time for it. 
- getting out of the house happened quite a lot last week (it was a buisy week) which did help mood wise. 5/7 (definitely need to take it slower this week, but hopefully it will have moved something. Sometimes you have to give your routine a good shake up when things get stuck)

- room sorting …i did do a little, not much 🤷‍♀️

experimenting with coloured fine liners in my bujo. Results are mixed so far as im still getting used to using them. 
IMG_8850.thumb.jpeg.0d91d8e31942d4101290cc400e3dea3a.jpeg

IMG_8851.thumb.jpeg.861b0228a39a6985bd9cbf6c19f7e219.jpeg
still drawring the weekly. Lots of tiny plant sketches. Very pleased with the fiddlehead fern. 

Edit: weather is lovely so trying to make the most of the sunshine and had tea out. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

mandolin practice is…well, not going. I played it yesterday but it was less practice more hand shaking nerves.  

Playing with hand-shaking nerves is valuable practice, too, especially if you hope to perform in public in the future. 

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

- Clear the tbr is also going reasonably well, though i did buy a couple of books.

Didn't you just go to an enchanted bookstore? I feel like the fey would be offended if you didn't take home one of their offerings.

- mandolin practice is…well, not going. I played it yesterday but it was less practice more hand shaking nerves.  Need to make more time for it. 

Still counts! Producing transcendent truth and beauty isn't the goal, I vote that reminding our paw-paws how to do the thing, that's still doing the thing.

- getting out of the house happened quite a lot last week (it was a buisy week) which did help mood wise. 5/7 (definitely need to take it slower this week, but hopefully it will have moved something. Sometimes you have to give your routine a good shake up when things get stuck)

I feel this. Any after-care routines for a session of LARPing like we're an extrovert?

- room sorting …i did do a little, not much 🤷‍♀️

Mood. I always forget how exhausting it can be to change my living space.

experimenting with coloured fine liners in my bujo. Results are mixed so far as im still getting used to using them. 

still drawring the weekly. Lots of tiny plant sketches. Very pleased with the fiddlehead fern. 

Biig fan!

Edit: weather is lovely so trying to make the most of the sunshine and had tea out. 

What's your daily tea these days?

• Like 2

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

8 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

- naps have petered off slightly towards the end of the week. Need to pick those up again 4/7

- Drinking enough water could be going better. 3/7

nap harder! slam that water! :P

• That's Metal 1

37 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Didn't you just go to an enchanted bookstore? I feel like the fey would be offended if you didn't take home one of their offerings

Sadly the enchanted book store was just closing for lunch and i ran out of energy before going back. Therefore need to make a point to going back another day as i only had 10mins of browsing the immense book mountains 😭

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Still counts! Producing transcendent truth and beauty isn't the goal, I vote that reminding our paw-paws how to do the thing, that's still doing the thing.

50 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Playing with hand-shaking nerves is valuable practice, too, especially if you hope to perform in public in the future

Thanks. I am going to take it next time too. Im hoping the hand jitters will lessen with exposure. It is most frustrating as last time i took it it went really well. But it is bank holiday here so half of the uk has descended. Thus very many more people. 

41 minutes ago, Laghail said:

feel this. Any after-care routines for a session of LARPing like we're an extrovert

Making a nest on the sofa with Cozy movie ive seen before plus tea is my low energy go to. Failing that rereading something in the sunshine (weather permitting)

43 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Mood. I always forget how exhausting it can be to change my living space.

It is ongoing. I am down to the hard choices part of the book sorting 

44 minutes ago, Laghail said:

What's your daily tea these days

depends. At home it is apple and cinammon in the morning. Jasmine or clipper berry tea in the day. Choko or spiced ruibosh for when im swimming and need something warming.

When im out i usually end up with whatever berry option is available. palatability varies wildly though. My local has something involving raspberry that is ok, but i wouldn't walk over broken glass for. 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

nap harder! slam that water! :P

Have drunk so much water today. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Biig fan!

Thanks. The coloured fine liner stuff is going to take some practice. I’ll be at the plant sketches for weeks though. But im ok with that. Doing cherry blossoms for this weeks weekly. Makes me happy

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Love your ferns. 💜

Never heard of clipper berry tea, now I'm intrigued!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson