Introverts, Social Misfits and the Terror of Talking to People

They don't expect anything. =)

Maybe they hope that you will turn "normal" immediately.

But you are normal.. =)

I would react with irony like: " You are the very first to notice that" or "Yes. I'm glad you noticed"

Sentences like these are no real openers of a conversation. So they are not worth worrying about answers or expectations ;)

^^^^^ this.

I have been mostly blind all my life, and was filling out a form about eh...2 inches from my face, per usual...and some silly twit says "wow thats really close, tou should get your eyes checked" so I smiled and said "thats a great idea thanks!" and its been a running family joke for a decade.

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Do you guys feel like you are Dexter?

Which one? If you mean the guy with the secret lab and the annoying sister, I often have...

Both, for sure. The cartoon is definitely high on my favorites list!

I'm fortunate to work amongst the absolute worst of society and, generally speaking, really don't have to be any more nice than "barely civil/polite" on a given day.

It's the secret to my success, really.

This was the one reason I thought maybe I could hack it as a Social Worker, bc the social fringes arent expecting perfection and dont really care :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

So one of my favorite people friended me on FB over the last few days, and

1.) I had no idea they werent some random game player (getting lots of those this week)

2.) When I finally figured out who they actually were...did I say anything like "hi its AWESOME that you added me"??? No,I just stalked pictures and liked comments from random people I dont know who posted on their timeline.

and this is someone I really think is great...is it any wonder why I have no friends? lololol

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

So one of my favorite people friended me on FB over the last few days, and

1.) I had no idea they werent some random game player (getting lots of those this week)

2.) When I finally figured out who they actually were...did I say anything like "hi its AWESOME that you added me"??? No,I just stalked pictures and liked comments from random people I dont know who posted on their timeline.

and this is someone I really think is great...is it any wonder why I have no friends? lololol

Hey, whatever works. :D

• Like 1

Got invited to a Memorial Day workout at the local box by a guy with AS. It's pretty awesome when you don't have to feel self-conscious about your awkwardness. (There were a lot of Ric Flair sound effects this morning.) In any case, everyone is awkward after a hard workout anyway.

anigif_enhanced-22773-1426275562-27.gif

• Like 3

I have to go to the doctor this afternoon. It's a new doctor. My other one retired. Personal nightmare: talking to people, body insecurity, I turn into a hypochondriac... and this is just a first appointment, a check up. 

My blood pressure is already through the roof. 

• Like 3

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I have to go to the doctor this afternoon. It's a new doctor. My other one retired. Personal nightmare: talking to people, body insecurity, I turn into a hypochondriac... and this is just a first appointment, a check up. 

You will be ok.  take a list of stuff you want to talk about so you don't forget.  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

You'll be fine. Maybe the doc would be as nervous.

You'll be fine. Maybe the doc would be as nervous.

I was fine. In fact, the entire visit was more than fine... despite a couple of procedures that were more... invasive than I expected (do they always draw  blood at a first visit?). My new GP is a nurse practitioner, and she has a great sense of humor. I think my days of fearing the doctor are over! 

On another note, I had my blood drawn for the first time... and was fine. My boyfriend, on the other  hand, nearly passed out. I had to revive him with beer, onion rings, and a burger at Red Robin afterwards. 

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

On another note, I had my blood drawn for the first time... and was fine. My boyfriend, on the other  hand, nearly passed out. I had to revive him with beer, onion rings, and a burger at Red Robin afterwards. 

When I was little, I was constantly having blood tests taken. The doctors thought I was anaemic (actually, I just didn't eat much). It never bothered me. Then, at some point around my early twenties, something broke. Needles now freak me out. I even hate seeing injections on television.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I dodge doctors like they carry the plague.  In the past I've had to be all but dying before I would step foot in the hospital or a clinic.  But I was finally dragged to the dentist to have some work done, and other than being expensive it wasn't a horrible experience.

Not saying I would like to repeat it any time soon, but... could have been worse.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I love going to the dentist. Yes I know that is odd.

For some reason, I prefer the CVS Minute Clinic over a regular doctor's office when I'm sick. I haven't been to see a regular GP in 3+ years. I go for my annual wellness exam with my OB/GYN but never to a plain old GP.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Then, at some point around my early twenties, something broke. Needles now freak me out.

I'm the same way I didnt really mind needles until I was 18. I know exactly how it happened though I was at MEPS (medical pre-screen for the military) and they needed to draw blood. well the nurse stuck me once and nothing came out pulled the needle out a bit (was still in my arm) turned it around and pushed back in for the same result. she then took the needle completely out and tried another vein to no avail. She then went to the other arm and stuck me twice more before actually hitting a vein. Then six months later I get what seems like 20 shots in a single day to include everyone's favorite the penicillin shot AKA the peanut butter shot.

I dodge doctors like they carry the plague.  In the past I've had to be all but dying before I would step foot in the hospital or a clinic.  But I was finally dragged to the dentist to have some work done, and other than being expensive it wasn't a horrible experience.

Not saying I would like to repeat it any time soon, but... could have been worse.

I feel the same way when I was in my early 20's and in the military there is a stigma about going to medical for any reason and I still carry that with me so unless it is serious i avoid the docs at all costs. dont mind dentists much though.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I feel the same way when I was in my early 20's and in the military there is a stigma about going to medical for any reason and I still carry that with me so unless it is serious i avoid the docs at all costs. dont mind dentists much though.

Maybe that's where I picked it up from.  I broke my foot on course once upon a time, and my section commander not believing the veracity of my injury, sent me for a several mile walk to the base clinic.

Needless to say the doc on duty was unimpressed, and voiced her displeasure to both the NCO in question and my chain of command. 

Meanwhile I sat in the corner and grumbled about having to be sent back to my unit until the next training cycle.

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Maybe that's where I picked it up from.  I broke my foot on course once upon a time, and my section commander not believing the veracity of my injury, sent me for a several mile walk to the base clinic.

Needless to say the doc on duty was unimpressed, and voiced her displeasure to both the NCO in question and my chain of command. 

Meanwhile I sat in the corner and grumbled about having to be sent back to my unit until the next training cycle.

What solved me of this "problem" was actually paying for the medical.  I'm now of the attitude that I need to get my money's worth.  Any sports injury and I'm asking for a PT, Allergies, give me the study, etc.  Maybe if I did it earlier last year, I wouldn't have re-herniated my back...  whatevers...

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Maybe if I should start drinking my troubles would disappear.

541564_660498750739182_38972817573971297

That picture reminds me of Madoka's mom from Magika Madoka. Although she uses it to help ease her problems. Heh.

But don't drink excessively!

I'm a bit lazy to make a signature at the moment, but here's some things:

Challenge 2 | Captain's Log

Feel free to add me on Steam to play games with me! PM me before you do though; I get spam messages all the time:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/captMurasa

For some reason, this picture reminded me of this thread:

11427045_1613394132235269_56928826432146

• Like 2

My cooking skills: Melisandre - I burn enerything

My math skills: Nymeria Sand - Asian

My fighting skills: Ser Gregor Clegane - apparent underdog manages to pull off a win

My reputation: Renly Baratheon - gay, but not too gay

My relationships: Oberyn Martell - gay, but not too gay / indiscriminate

My reputation among friends: Tyrion Lannister - boats and hoes

My flirting skills: Stannis Baratheon - "fewer"

My social skills: Jeyne Poole - showed up in passing once, otherwise nowhere to be found

• Like 1

My cooking skills: Hot Pie ;)

My math skills: Hodor

My fighting skills: Sansa Stark - I fight with my wits

My reputation: ? (no idea how other people see me really)

My relationships: Reek - I get destroyed beyond all recognition in most of them

My reputation among friends: Ygritte - too loud, too blunt, but no one gives me shit bc they know I wont take it well

My flirting skills: Hodor

My social skills: Brienne of Tarth - I try to make friends and be polite and adept, but really I'm a lumbering mess and everyone probably either just laughs at me behind my back or pities me

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Well if you guys are going to make a game of things...

My cooking skills: Three-Fingered Hobb.  I'm not the king of seasonings or flair, but I can crank out a mean stew.

My math knowledge: Robert Baratheon.  Spend the gold, leave the counting of it to Littlefinger.

My fighting skills: Bronn.  Hopefully fighting dirty will see me through the altercation.

My reputation online: Khal Drogo.  Supposedly legendary and suspected substance to back it up, but few enough opportunities to prove it.

My relationship level: Eddard Stark and Daario Naharis.  I love women in all their myriad beauty, but when I devote myself to one in particular I honor my commitments... mostly.

My reputation among friends: Jon Snow.  Few enough friends but fierce loyalty from those who stand by me.

My flirting skills: Jon Snow again.  I know nothing.

My social skills: Bronn.  Straight forward and vulgar.

That Stannis Baratheon "fewer" remark for flirting skills was bloody brilliant, Machete.

• Like 1

My cooking skills: A cross between hot pie and Three-Fingered Hobb. I can cook, but not that great.

My math knowledge: Samwell. I read a lot and am quite knowledgeable of the world, but have shown no penchant for math.

My fighting skills: Samwell again I am an uncoordinated mess.

My reputation online: Benjen Stark. I show up in the begging but disappear soon after.

My relationship level: Eddard Stark Loyal to a fault.

My reputation among friends: podrick.

My flirting skills: Jon Snow again.  I know nothing.

My social skills: Arya Stark. I can blend into a crowd and mingle among almost anyone, but am not memorable to any except a small group.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal