Forums are back in action! ×

6/1/17 Thursday

Slothgirl has a great teacher, but he isn't very good at communication.  I found out the night before that she had a presentation I was invited to -"Fish Fest".  It was really cool, the kids all had great projects, writing, sculptures, posters.  TBH, Slothgirl's was a bit lacking compared to the others.  The rest looked like they had some serious polishing at home and we didn't even know about it.  We probably should check her backpack and not rely on her to tell us about homework.

Anyway, Fish Fest coincided with lunch, so I just needed to get the ESL teacher to cover half my next class.  When I got back 3rd floor was on fire (figuratively).  A dozen kids running the hall, my classroom was bonkers.  It took quite a while to calm it back down.

Today is pretty mellow though.  

No training.  I haven't earned a rest day, but I feel depleted from not eating much these last couple weeks, so I took it off completely to keep my legs as fresh as possible.  I fixed the hop in my wheel, the bike rides a lot smoother.  I loaded up my feed bag, I just need to add a mustard flask.  I've avoided all belly triggers since we got back from camping.  I'm ready to roll, I guess.  

The Red Ribbon Ride fundraising has gotten off to a good start.  Mostly thanks to Nerd friends.  Thanks friends :)  The guy who asked me to do this with him is going to hold a fundraising house party for me.  I'm a bit nervous about it because I am terrible at being charming.

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The rest looked like they had some serious polishing at home and we didn't even know about it.  We probably should check her backpack and not rely on her to tell us about homework.

This is something we have considered as well.  Often we will get a note from the teacher reminding us that such-and-such project will be due this week and please make sure to turn it in on time.  Having never heard of this assignment, Ghostlet will say, yeah that was assigned like last month but it isn't due until later so I never mentioned it

Image result for facepalm gif

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 6/2/2017 at 8:32 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm a bit nervous about it because I am terrible at being charming.

Don't worry, you just have to keep it up for while. "Fake it till you make it"

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

6/2/17 - Friday

It was a surprisingly good day. My students were very mellow although the other teachers left school looking shell-shocked. I rolled around for an hour to loosen up my legs and make sure my bike was good-to-go.

I stopped by @TheMostLoathed and he gave me his 10kg sledge. That thing is massive. It feels like it's an order of magnitude bigger than 16 lbs. #lifegoals. I think I'll do more hammering on the strength aerobics days.

6/2/17 Saturday

It was a good day. Borah Epic. My belly didn't want to eat. I tried to force it, but I really couldn't.

The race was pretty good. I didn't know how it would go so I started near the back (out of 500). I started slow and backed it off. I haven't been eating enough to keep fueled, but my body is good about running on fat stores when needed. I rolled along in that zone and I felt really good.

The trail was a lot of fun. I was rolling through with a laughing group, the folks just riding along, not racing. There was a lady from England who chattered in a posh voice for miles. Obviously she reminded me of@DefTona.

At the halfway feed zone I dropped out. I felt good, my back was solid, my legs felt fresh, but I wasn't keeping food down and hadn't drunk much. I could have kept going and finished, probably in five hours, but at some point it would have gotten ugly and I would have been wrecked for a couple of weeks.

It's not how I wanted the race to go, but I don't feel bad about it. 19 miles on a fun trail is a good day no matter what.

Today I feel good. I haven't trained yet because it's Slothboy's birthday party, but I'll do something - I need more Nerdhammer troops.

• Like 13

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Glad you enjoyed the race, and stopped when you needed to. It's just the beginning of the season, so hopefully  you will be in several more races this summer.

Yeah, your muscles are gonna feel it when you wield that 10kg sledge. Does TML have a name for it, or will he let you name it? The Beast seems appropriate.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 6/2/2017 at 1:36 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'll send her down.  You two would get along, just don't overwhelm her with chatting.  She scares off easily, like a feral cat.

As best I can tell, DJ is pretty good with cats.

Seems like you had the right attitude for the race. Glad you were able to enjoy it even though you couldn't compete the way you wanted to.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On June 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM, deftona said:

Now I don't believe that for one second, mister. 

It's true. If we ever met I'd probably stare at your butt and forget to talk. 

On June 2, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Sylvaa said:

I'm charmed

ac58e4b84cc3e170d4788f10baba18ddba564885

Hah. 

On June 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM, WhiteGhost said:

This is something we have considered as well.  Often we will get a note from the teacher reminding us that such-and-such project will be due this week and please make sure to turn it in on time.  Having never heard of this assignment, Ghostlet will say, yeah that was assigned like last month but it isn't due until later so I never mentioned it

Image result for facepalm gif

That's us exactly.  I think next year we're going to have to be on top of her about it until she develops her own good habits. 

On June 3, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Jakkals said:

Don't worry, you just have to keep it up for while. "Fake it till you make it"

I don't know that I can fake charming.  Can you?  I can muddle through polite. 

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad you enjoyed the race, and stopped when you needed to. It's just the beginning of the season, so hopefully  you will be in several more races this summer.

Yeah, your muscles are gonna feel it when you wield that 10kg sledge. Does TML have a name for it, or will he let you name it? The Beast seems appropriate.

Lots more races and rides coming up.  

I may may need to change the name of my BL, "Sloth: The Man With the Big-A** Hammer". I don't normally name my tools, but my D&D character found an ancient warhammer named Invictus, I may use that. 

51 minutes ago, Xena said:

As best I can tell, DJ is pretty good with cats.

Seems like you had the right attitude for the race. Glad you were able to enjoy it even though you couldn't compete the way you wanted to.

Thanks. I was pretty happy that I was able to keep a positive head space, I usually don't. 

• Like 4

Good move on decision to end the race while you were ahead, er, you know what I mean. Hopefully sloth belly clears up soon and stops getting in your way.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It's true. If we ever met I'd probably stare at your butt and forget to talk. 

Maybe I find that charming. I've worked hard for this disappointing butt, the least people can do is stare at it. 

• Like 4

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

At the halfway feed zone I dropped out. I felt good, my back was solid, my legs felt fresh, but I wasn't keeping food down and hadn't drunk much. I could have kept going and finished, probably in five hours, but at some point it would have gotten ugly and I would have been wrecked for a couple of weeks.

Wise! Glad you were able to enjoy it, and see the positive, and had a great time. Posh English voice :)

My students were very mellow although the other teachers left school looking shell-shocked.

Know the feeling. Made me grin :D Sorry.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

I stopped by @TheMostLoathed and he gave me his 10kg sledge. That thing is massive. It feels like it's an order of magnitude bigger than 16 lbs. #lifegoals. I think I'll do more hammering on the strength aerobics days.

He's not joking, it does feel that different.

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I've never named my hammers. It was just always "that one" usually pointed at from a distance. 

Sloth can call it whatever he likes just don't turn your back on it.

• Like 3

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

13 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Good move on decision to end the race while you were ahead, er, you know what I mean. Hopefully sloth belly clears up soon and stops getting in your way.  

Thanks.  Wisdom is a rare quality for me.

10 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Ah, perhaps I'd be more use to you if I audio recorded my comments on your thread...  

Wait, you have a posh voice? I'm sorry, for some reason I thought you were German.  I've totally been using the wrong accent when I read your posts.  Now I'm going to have to assume you have a bumbling oaf of husband and stodgy but lovable neighbors who tell you, "Don't be obtuse Lou."

5 hours ago, deftona said:

Maybe I find that charming. I've worked hard for this disappointing butt, the least people can do is stare at it. 

Disappointing?!? Last I heard you were at least 45% Jen Selter.  That hardly sounds disappointing.

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Wise! Glad you were able to enjoy it, and see the positive, and had a great time. Posh English voice :)

Know the feeling. Made me grin :D Sorry.

31 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

He's not joking, it does feel that different.

I've never named my hammers. It was just always "that one" usually pointed at from a distance. 

Sloth can call it whatever he likes just don't turn your back on it.

Now I'm wondering how long it will take to get an order of magnitude stronger.  It might help if I quit laying around.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wait, you have a posh voice? I'm sorry, for some reason I thought you were German.  I've totally been using the wrong accent when I read your posts.  Now I'm going to have to assume you have a bumbling oaf of husband and stodgy but lovable neighbors who tell you, "Don't be obtuse Lou."

1/4 German. But not enough to get me a passport, alas.  And it's a matter of debate as to whether I sound posh - thanks to where in the country I grew up I kind of do, but I don't have the very posh voice that comes with a certain level of family background and expensiveness of education ;-). 

• Like 1

6/4/17 Sunday

It was a good day.  I slept in a bit (7ish) and did some adulting.  I wanted to yoga and play with the kettlebells, but Mrs. Sloth was finalizing preparations for Slothboy's birthday party and it was better for my well-being not to do anything that might be fun.

We drove six of his friends out to one of those indoor playzones.  I gotta say, 7 little boys are a lot louder than a van full of little girls.  Also, I'm pretty sure the only noun they know is "butts."  Instead of cake we had a sundae bar.  The party was good, everyone had a great time, except Slothgirl, who is used to being the girl with the most cake and doesn't like being second banana.  She's kind of a grump when it's hot out anyway.

It was easy-peasy for me, all I did was haul stuff and guard the exit from the playzone to make sure no one ran off.  Here's another boy/girl difference - when we did this with Slothgirl all the girls paired up and played separately while the boys ran in one big pack the whole time.  It made it a lot easier to round them up.  

The evening was chill.  I was moving and thinking in slow motion though, everything took forever to do.  Around 9:00 I realized I hadn't eaten anything except for my morning oatmeal so I tried to eat instead of working out.  You'd think I'd be losing weight on a diet like this, but I'm not.  Bodies are weird.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Also, I'm pretty sure the only noun they know is "butts."

I wonder who they learned that off :P

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

3 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

1/4 German. But not enough to get me a passport, alas.  And it's a matter of debate as to whether I sound posh - thanks to where in the country I grew up I kind of do, but I don't have the very posh voice that comes with a certain level of family background and expensiveness of education ;-). 

Americans often have a very low threshold for "posh" when it comes to British accents.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Americans often have a very low threshold for "posh" when it comes to British accents.

I'll admit I can't discern a posh from a non-posh accent nearly as well as I can tell Minnesota and Wisconsin apart, but mountain biker lady reminded me of Felicity Kendal so I assumed. 

1c9db14c36c1701b9d735d5880b95a5b.jpg

1 hour ago, deftona said:

I wonder who they learned that off

It comes natural. Although I will admit to laughing at their butt jokes. The thing is I haven't matured much after kindergarten. 

• Like 2

At the moment in our Monday DnD campaign we're in a desert hunting down harpies which are inhabiting the 500ft tall buttes... we've had jokes about the cracks, the holes, the worms, the size, shape and geological composition of said buttes... we're hahahalarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

just now catching up from the weekend.

I'm glad SlothBoy's party went well.  and also, good job on stopping the race when you needed to; part of being Awesome is respecting any limitations you may have.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

I'll admit I can't discern a posh from a non-posh accent nearly as well as I can tell Minnesota and Wisconsin apart, but mountain biker lady reminded me of Felicity Kendal so I assumed. 

1c9db14c36c1701b9d735d5880b95a5b.jpg

I can't tell US and Canadian accents apart...

Yes, my life is modelled on The Good Life.

On 6/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, Yasha92 said:

At the moment in our Monday DnD campaign we're in a desert hunting down harpies which are inhabiting the 500ft tall buttes... we've had jokes about the cracks, the holes, the worms, the size, shape and geological composition of said buttes... we're hahahalarious.

That sounds like a good gaming group.  When I worked in a bike shop one of our best sellers was the Giant Butte so I had to explain to people the advantages of a Giant Butte.  Actually, it was one of the few bikes I was good at selling.

23 hours ago, cracked_belle said:

just now catching up from the weekend.

I'm glad SlothBoy's party went well.  and also, good job on stopping the race when you needed to; part of being Awesome is respecting any limitations you may have.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

I can't tell US and Canadian accents apart...

Yes, my life is modelled on The Good Life.

That's a good choice.

Monday and Tuesday

They were good days.  On Tuesday we went on a field trip to a Modern Art museum.  TBH I don't understand or appreciate modern art.  My group behaved adequately well.  We're all ready to be done with the year though - 6 more days.

We still have Twylla, the old Shih Tzu.  She went back to the vet to get her mammaries taken out because of issues from all of the forced breeding and an old rupture.  The vet looked at her weird jaw and discovered it was broken a long time ago and healed funny and found a lot of shattered teeth under her gums.  She got fixed up, but is in rough shape right now.  I have a feeling we'll have her long-term.  No one is interested in a goofy-looking old dog with no teeth.  She's sweet, happy doggo though and the rescue pays her expenses so it's all good.

I did bare minimum workouts - a little yoga and KBs, no biking - I've been really tired.  I'm still not eating much.  I've used the unwanted low-calorie diet as an excuse to indulge my sweet tooth which I know is stupid.

Yoga Studio, which I paid for, automatically updated, and the new version is a subscription model.  I feel ripped off.  I withdraw my endorsement of this app.

• Like 12

I'm not going to spam y'all, but I want to bump this now that the new challenge craziness is past.  I'll quit bugging you after this.

937604115.custom.jpg

In a month I'll be doing the Red Ribbon Ride.  It's a 300 mile charity ride that supports organizations that help individuals living with HIV/AIDS.  I'd be honored if you would consider supporting this charity through my riding.  Sloth's Red Ribbon page.

Thanks for your support.

• Like 12