I made my steps target 3 times last week, which is great. I am still waking up way too early intermittently. No idea why. I finally remembered to pot to spider plant cuttings, so hopefully they will be ok 😅 (last week was buisy and they kept slipping my mind). 

today started at 5:45am…not my most favourite time of day when i want sleep. But the sunrise was very pretty. 
frustrating, but there we are.  Weather is actually nice, in spite of forecast (i honestly dont know why i insist on reading them, the majority are so inaccurate for us) so i might go and get some blue somewhere. Have to see how tired i am. Have that delightful dragged through a hedge by a large dog feeling.  

• Like 5

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

Here to follow and support the recharge!

Assist Late Night GIF by SLOTHILDA

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina: Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

IMG_8876.thumb.jpeg.bdf3d06f07cacafe71a928188ead8609.jpegIMG_8873.thumb.jpeg.4350e7dcd86f511a4897a6b41a475c1d.jpeg

very sunny here so took my book to the cliffs. Bluebells are out everywhere, which is always lovely to see. (Fun fact: the uk has 50% of  the worlds bluebell population)
went back to tescos because inevitably we managed to forget things yesterday somehow.  
trying a couscous blend from a packet with a salmon slice on it right now. Tastes good so hoping it will be a convenient combo for when i am just too tired to cook as its a healthier pick than cheese on toast or soup from a tin. Will probably try to mix my own next time. It is getting warmer now so endless hot lunches are going to roll over soon to salads and cold pasta or couscous mixes. I love soups but its nice to have a change. 

Rigging curtains in my room because waking up this early is stupid. Not sure why i didn't think of it before. I am blaming lack of sleep for that one. 

have definitely done my steps today, which is good. Trying to get back to 3 walks a week. Easier when i can pack food and walk somewhere, then stop and enjoy the view before walking back. 

edit: well today was nuts. Only now just stopped to crash and nap. Got stuff planted, sorted some more of art cupboard. 

found some. Blank bound sketchbooks, which im considering turning into a nature journal. The medium appeals to me and it seems like a nice way to record what i see on my walks. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I made my steps target 3 times last week, which is great. I am still waking up way too early intermittently. No idea why. I finally remembered to pot to spider plant cuttings, so hopefully they will be ok 😅 (last week was buisy and they kept slipping my mind). 

today started at 5:45am…not my most favourite time of day when i want sleep. But the sunrise was very pretty. 
frustrating, but there we are.  Weather is actually nice, in spite of forecast (i honestly dont know why i insist on reading them, the majority are so inaccurate for us) so i might go and get some blue somewhere. Have to see how tired i am. Have that delightful dragged through a hedge by a large dog feeling.  

Whoa, you're a busy lady! Congrats on the progress and best of luck as you continue to dial into what your body is currently asking for re: activity/rest combos. But speaking of your rambles and getting some blue, You're lowkey a woods witch, how common is white goosefoot by you? One of my Indian colleagues was commenting on how useful she finds it for culinary and Ayurvedic purposes, and how it's supposed to have been found in the preserved digestive tracts and herb hordes of Danish bog mummies and Saxon mound graves. Sounded like something you'd know about. 

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

11 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Whoa, you're a busy lady!

Today was nuts. Everything needed doing all at once (as usual).

even got in some “we need to plant this before it dies” gardening and a little room sorting (i am >1/3 through my art cupboard now)

12 minutes ago, Laghail said:

But speaking of your rambles and getting some blue, You're lowkey a woods witch, how common is white goosefoot by you? One of my Indian colleagues was commenting on how useful she finds it for culinary and Ayurvedic purposes, and how it's supposed to have been found in the preserved digestive tracts and herb hordes of Danish bog mummies and Saxon mound graves. Sounded like something you'd know about. 

We call it fat hen (or lambs quarters) here. Its often collected as wild food by foragers and used in salads and suchlike. Its often used Like spinach.
Its around. Ive seen it in meadowy areas, field margins and woodland edges. It often comes up in peoples gardens here as it used to be grown as a cultivated plant (in the medieval period i think). Many things we consider garden weeds where once intentionally planted crops or medicinal herbs in this country. 
i havent tried it myself (it doesn't grow thickly enough to really pick any quantity easily here. Especially when being considerate to not killing the plants), but just about every wild food book I've read includes it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Bluebells are out everywhere, which is always lovely to see.

Oh, is that what those are? I have some in my yard that are flowering right now, but didn't know what they were. I really like them.

• Like 2

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

12 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Oh, is that what those are? I have some in my yard that are flowering right now, but didn't know what they were. I really like them.

If they’re in your garden then theres a chance they are spanish bluebells. British bluebells have more intense blue flowers, narrower bells and little curls on the flowers corners (not right word but i am too tired to google for botanical nomenclature right now). Spanish bluebells can be very spready (at least in the uk) so its worth keeping an eye on them, unless your ok with an entire beds worth. 

• Like 3

Finally slept better. Curtains for the win!

today is a quiet recharge day as yesterday was so insanely buisy. It is weird weather today, kind of misty but sunny also. It cant seem to make its mind up out there. 

did some doodles with my new pens. Wow, i can see why uni pin are so incredibly popular. So much nicer than the old fine liners i found in the drawer. Im going to use the old ones til they run out, but its nice to have a solid replacement for them. 

The parents are off upcountry to visit family this week so the house is very quiet. I am on plant babysitting and greenhouse watering duty as it is full of seedlings down there right now. The beans and tomatoes are coming up like mad. 
we are behind, inevitably, but it was so cold here we struggled to get stuff to germinate. 

currently rereading Love for the cold blooded, or the part time evil minions guide to dating a superhero (yes, it has a very long title)

Otherwise today is mostly going to be low key. Might do a bit of sorting later. Am on the other 2 shelves in the art cupbord. Found a ton of papers and my card making kit that i am currently mulling wether i can co-opt for bujo art (at some point i am going to fold and just start some sort of art journal 😆 but right now the bujo doodles are nice and low pressure). 
amazes me how much of my art kit in the cupboard is from secondary school though.  I suspect it is partially because many of them are mediums i didnt really click with (looking at you water colours). Currently considering trying some different ones, like inks , that I've always wanted to have a go with but never was able to before. 

edit: well today was apparently eat like a goblin day. Must remember it is almost impossible to just get one thing when going into the local shop. Ive been doing well with this by just avoiding the place. Not quite sure how to fix that. More will power needed clearly

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

If they’re in your garden then theres a chance they are spanish bluebells. British bluebells have more intense blue flowers, narrower bells and little curls on the flowers corners (not right word but i am too tired to google for botanical nomenclature right now). Spanish bluebells can be very spready (at least in the uk) so its worth keeping an eye on them, unless your ok with an entire beds worth. 

You are likely correct. A brief google of bluebells and my region of the US brings up the invasive and spready Spanish bluebells. I'd prefer to have native plants in my yard, but I also hate yardwork and they are pretty, so I'll probably just let them do their thing. However, I don't feel bad anymore about the times I've clipped a couple of them with the weed whacker.

• Like 3

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

6 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Finally slept better. Curtains for the win!

today is a quiet recharge day as yesterday was so insanely buisy. It is weird weather today, kind of misty but sunny also. It cant seem to make its mind up out there. 

Curtains are for the win!! 

6 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

currently rereading Love for the cold blooded, or the part time evil minions guide to dating a superhero (yes, it has a very long title)

Can I bossily suggest your next challenge is superhero themed?! 

Between Hero Machine 3 and random doodles, it'd be fun to see nerds blow up your next challenge with homemade superheroes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

had a bash at the cherry blossom, pretty pleased with them. Made the rookie mistake of picking a slightly more difficult flower shape than i needed to. We have the rufffly ones in the garden so thats what i went with. 

didnt have the best pink for them. Despite being the palest pink i could get in the markers it was still a bit too strong. 
IMG_8919.thumb.jpeg.f4a8227010c29e282ccf4fdbd49299a3.jpeg

might add a few more leaves if i have the space, but i think it works pretty well and was interesting to draw. Coloured fine liners came in handy though, very nice to mix them with the brushpens. 

woke up tired. I figure it is the downside getting more sleep, and stopping running in sleep defect mode. some early nights will fix.  Sunny today, which is a bit of a shame. But thats how it goes sometimes. Definitely getting a proper nap today. 
think i might take my mando out and practice in the shade after lunch. 

overall i feel the getting a change of scenery campaign has been positive and my energy is definitely better. Just need to rinse and repeat a few times, see how that goes. 

Doing well with the drinking more water. has definitely helped. Weighing stuff again so see how that goes. I suspect i was going over my cals.  

• Like 5

did some mando. Am a bit frustrated with it at the moment it transpires. I know its to do with my complete fail on sunday. Need to work through that apparently. I usually just practice till it feels good again. Might take a few goes. Low energy is possibly exacerbating it, but it does explain why ive been putting practice off this week.

had a fail with the sugar/junkfood today. Whole sugar has no brakes thing. Will try not to repeat but its a mistake ive made a couple of times now since starting this. Obviously going to take a while to unlearn that one. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

did some mando. Am a bit frustrated with it at the moment it transpires. I know its to do with my complete fail on sunday. Need to work through that apparently. I usually just practice till it feels good again. Might take a few goes. Low energy is possibly exacerbating it, but it does explain why ive been putting practice off this week.

Mandolin practice? May I ask what constitutes a complete fail other than the instrument breaking?

Smash Conor Oberst GIF by Team Coco

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

26 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Crippling stage fright culminating in my left hand ceasing so badly i could barely move my fingers 😅

Ah, understandable category choice. My left hand seizing has only been from inexperience playing bass, but it's a terrible experience, and I'm sorry you had it pop up while in front of people you wanted to play for.

Still, I believe in you and your ability to ease the tension left over in your hand. 😃 Whether that be from rest, practice, or full on spa treatment. 😄

• Thanks 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Feel this deeply. My last open mic, I was sweating so bad my picks were slipping off my fingers, and then I couldn't hit C chord. Not like a cute, "uh-oh, time for a cutesy unplanned chord change", but attempting to hit it and failing 4x in a row while other humans watched me reenact my nightmares.

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

had a fail with the sugar/junkfood today. Whole sugar has no brakes thing. Will try not to repeat but its a mistake ive made a couple of times now since starting this. Obviously going to take a while to unlearn that one. 

Is A related to B? Kinda hate that American television coined the phrase "eating my feelings" in the 90's, because that shit hides/mocks the fact that our animal bodies want comfort when we're upset. It's an extreme example but I'd rather have cellulite than ideation, and sometimes I just need to eat a fucking scone. 100% support your sugar intake goals, just wanna also normalize that primates reach for treats to self-sooth when we're upset.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

If you have stage fright, who are you playing for? I hope you get your Mando vibe back.

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

My left hand seizing has only been from inexperience playing bass, but it's a terrible experience, and I'm sorry you had it pop up while in front of people you wanted to play for

I never had this issue playing bodhran in front of people when i was starting out, so its frustrating to get it for mandolin (which i have much more practice with than i did when i first took a bodhran into a folk session) 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Harriet said:

If you have stage fright, who are you playing for? I hope you get your Mando vibe back.

Maybe 30-40 people jammed into a tiny pub tap room. But mostly for the 12 other musicians that where there for the session. Folk sessions round here are more a “bunch of us turn up to play music together and also drink beer” kind  of deal. Theyr the social equivalent of playing cards in a pub. Yes there are other people around, but we are more there to have fun together. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laghail said:

Feel this deeply. My last open mic, I was sweating so bad my picks were slipping off my fingers, and then I couldn't hit C chord. Not like a cute, "uh-oh, time for a cutesy unplanned chord change", but attempting to hit it and failing 4x in a row while other humans watched me reenact my nightmares

Your sessions always sound like the “there is a small stage, people take turn” kind of session. I would sweat bullets doing those too so more power to you for getting up there. 

something ive learned is if you keep going like it was intentional, people dont tend to notice youve screwed up.

I have missed verses, screwed the words up, forgotten what comes next half way through, had tippers escape mid rhythum (always fun for the audience), sang the words with a completely unrelated tune, been poked in the face by guitars (cornish sessions tend to be short on space) and started on the wrong key meaning im trying to do a bat impression on the high notes (which is a regular occurrence when in nervous). 

most people are impressed simply by the fact you even got up to perform. 
One of the most common comments i get is “ gosh, your so brave, i could never stand up in front of all those people and sing (etc)”

What i can tell you, is it does get easier with repeated exposure. Best trick ive found is to try and zone out so its just me and the music and the people im playing with. Hard but it works well when i can get in the zone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

100% support your sugar intake goals, just wanna also normalize that primates reach for treats to self-sooth when we're upset.

Yeah, this may have been it slightly. But not in a conscious way (because brains arent cooperative like that sometimes)

just really craved junk food and sugary biscuits. Ive been doing really well, even managed to avoid bingeing sugar shark week. 
small amounts are fine I've discovered but there is definitely a line where if i have more I'm liable to eat the entire packet. So two biscuits with my tea is doable. A few crisps with lunch. I suspect its a blood sugar balance thing, but I'm not sure. Maybe also that im eating low amounts of highly processed foods right now and these are all highly processed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Maybe 30-40 people jammed into a tiny pub tap room. But mostly for the 12 other musicians that where there for the session. Folk sessions round here are more a “bunch of us turn up to play music together and also drink beer” kind  of deal. Theyr the social equivalent of playing cards in a pub. Yes there are other people around, but we are more there to have fun together. 

Oh, I somehow thought you were just practicing at home. I think it's amazing that you're going out and playing in front of others. Wonderful! And it's wonderful that you have a relaxed and supportive music and beer group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru