Wanted: Food Tracking App/Website

Does anyone know of a food/calorie tracking app or website that has the following features?

• Allows sharing recipes between users
  • Allows cut/paste analysis of recipes
  • Is somewhat accurate

My wife and I are both interested in tracking what we eat (which is usually pretty similar) but for different reasons. I am interested in gaining some muscle and my wife would like to eliminate some extra weight. More importantly, we both want to learn more about what our diets are actually comprised of.

The ideal app/website would allow us to upload our common recipes (we cook almost all of our own food) and then just select how much of which recipe we had for each meal. We would track intake separately (under two accounts?) Does such a thing exist?

We tried MyFitnessPal but we make a bunch of different foods and the recipe builder was very time-consuming.

Thanks!

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I was going to suggest MyFitnessPal... Sorry, don't know of any others that are good. (MFP is the only one I've used, but I don't use it anymore.)

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

EatThisMuch lets you generate a meal plan based on specific wants (i.e. you can change meal options to Paleo, Keto, Vegetarian, Vegan, etc) based on the number of calories you want. It'll suggest recipes that you can view, and it breaks down the specific macro- and micronutrients of each one as well as the overall macronutrients you'll get in the entire day of food. You'd have to sign up for an account to save the meal plan, but you can also add your own recipe, modify the ones in there and keep generating certain parts of the day if you don't like a food type.

Profession: Level 3 Sith Assassin, Slingshot Demon Slayer (Rank: Spy)Stats: STR 6 DEX 5.25 CON 9 STA 2 WIS 6.5 CHA 1Motto: Do you really want it? Luchar por ella.Links: Six Week Challenge | Life GoalsQOTD: HA! "Your Honor, permission to Kong Vault over the bench?" -- AtSeaLevel

I love me some livestrong.com and said app.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

OK so I looked at the suggested ideas and none were quite what I was after. Adding the ingredients line by line is more time consuming that we are likely to keep up with (I'm serious when I say we make a lot of different foods.)

My wife found the Calorie Counter at about.com. It has a deal where you can cut/paste a recipe directly into a text box and it does the math...which is what we were after. Here is the recipe analyzer.

Not sure yet how well ongoing tracking work, but this will at least allow us to get a sense of calories and macros.

Thanks for the input folks, please post if you have more thoughts, we aren't fully decided at this point.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Oooh, that does look like it would be easy enough for me too. You could probably use a spreadsheet for the tracking at that point.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents about caloriecount.about.com. I love love love it. It's super easy to add recipes (copy and paste ingredients) and modify them (tweak servings and ingredients) to suit your needs. I know all of my recipes are viewable by other users, so I think you can share between users, but I've never tried to see anybody else's recipes. My list includes everything from childhood favorites to new recipes from food blogs. I find myself using the analyzer a lot - at the very least before I try any new recipe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Miz Ibbli-Bibbli-Boo

Level 1 | Selkie Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 4

Fitocracy | Battle Log | Challenge

I force myself to laugh at everything, for fear of having to cry. ~ Pierre de Beaumarchais

EatThisMuch lets you generate a meal plan based on specific wants (i.e. you can change meal options to Paleo, Keto, Vegetarian, Vegan, etc) based on the number of calories you want. It'll suggest recipes that you can view, and it breaks down the specific macro- and micronutrients of each one as well as the overall macronutrients you'll get in the entire day of food. You'd have to sign up for an account to save the meal plan, but you can also add your own recipe, modify the ones in there and keep generating certain parts of the day if you don't like a food type.

I'd never heard of this site before, but love the simplicity of it. As a way to come up with a no frills, random "What should I have for dinner", this site is perfect. I'll still actually track my food on MyFitnessPal, but thanks for the recommendation!

Level 3 - Platypus Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 5 | STA: 3.5 | CON: 5.5 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

Fitocracy | Fitbit | Daily Challenge | My Fitness Pal | RunKeeper

I use Livestrong as well and don't mind entering recipes line by line. Several of my recipes are there already :)

I'll check out the caloriecount.about.com site as another resource....

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).