Starting with a Loss

So... 

My dad died last month. He was an incredible man. Served 22 years in the Army; Retired as a CW4 with the Legion of Merit. Veteran of the Gulf War. He was an incredible loving person and the best daddy a girl could ask for. 

I've gained about 15 pounds since he started getting really sick. And over the last year through a functional medicine practicioner, I've learned I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I also have no gut flora diversity and a system that is prone to colon cancer. Which is what my dad died from. He fought it for 6 years; and it still killed him. So in a way, I am here to take vengence on cancer by not letting it ever get the best of me. I am here to kick cancers ass. 

My goals for nutrition: eliminate gluten and dairy from my diet, regrow my gut flora through pro-biotics

My physical goals: Practice yoga 3 days a week, and run a half marathon that will either donate to soldiers or cancer research

My mental goals: Heal from grieving and get off my anxiety medication

• Like 1

First, I'd like to thank you for your father's service. The good thing is, you know what's wrong with your body, now is the road to changing your life style to manage it. Peruse the site, there are a lot of good recipes for gluten free and diary free items.

There are a lot of good foundations out there now that have events for soldiers that have cancer. Since there have been a lot of soldiers diagnosed with cancer from their time in Afghanistan while they were on guard duty when they were burning rubber and tar, a lot of foundations are taking money for support of their families.

Welcome to the community, and I wish you the best on your journey.

Thank you for your incredible honesty.  Stay focused, ask for help when you want or need it, and kick cancer right in the colon.

Current Big Fat Hairy Goals:  Hip to Waist Ratio down to 88%.  Capable of 50 pushups, 100 situps, 20 pull-ups in one massive superset.  Able to do a bodyweight bench press.  Run 10K 1/week for 1 month.  Earn 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Why?  Because I want to model the kind of health and strength that I want my girls to have when they grow up.

Introduction / Battle Log / Current Challenge

Previous Challenges:  1

Welcome Meg! You'll find a lot of good people who can help and support you through your journey. All my best to you!

Welcome Meg! I hope you achieve your goals for today! I'll be here rooting for you and helping you through! Fighting!

Oh! It seems that I have written a message! How nice of you, hands

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

Hi Meg, 

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My dad died a few years from mesothelioma (a lung cancer related to asbestos exposure). 

I've struggled with depression and anxiety, and along with that, digestion issues and IBS symptoms. Since I've gone to a Paleo diet and cut out grains, sugar, and dairy, my energy levels have improved and so has my digestion. I've been having a lot of coconut milk to replace dairy, and coconut has good antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, so I think that's helped too. 

Take care, and welcome to the Rebellion! :-) 

My Character

Challenges: Current | First | 2 | 3