1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Time for hot chocolate. Better make it quick, the coffee shop is closing for tonight.

Got my hot chocolate! Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Maybe we'll all go out for virtual lunch tomorrow. Anyone know any good places in London?

I went to Ottolenghi's Nopi for Solstice a few years ago and it was stunning. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I went to Ottolenghi's Nopi for Solstice a few years ago and it was stunning. 

Ottolenghi is definitely interesting. Probably more of an event restaurant than a weekday lunch? (I mean, unless one is Nightingale, I guess, but he's posh.) We could go there for a virtual weekend dinner.

Guys, we're going here this weekend. (Or here for Americans - may be easier to get the ingredients. Additionally, you may try here.)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Date: 25/09/24

All is solved by walking

Total min exercise

Walk 30-60 min

The strong anvil

5 min Hindu pushup

Y

5 min Hindu squat

5 min  bridge

Clothes maketh the gender-neutral man

Jacket and tie

N

A nice close shave

N

?

Dawn is friend to the muses

Kept 8-10 schedule   N

Kept 10-12 schedule

N

Kept 12-2 schedule

Y

Kept 2-4 schedule

Y
Kept 4-6 schedule   P

Rest is the best medicine

6-8 hours of sleep

N

In bed by midnight

N

AM writing exercise

N

AM meditation

N

PM writing exercise

N

PM meditation

N

Interoception meditation

Y

I want a sleep contingency plan on my desk by the end of the day.

Shit, guys. I need a plan to fix my sleep on bad nights. By the end of the day. That's impossible.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

JESUS! content warning before you sandblast me with raw-dog comfort?! Fella is liable to sigh a bit and feel some tranquility just looking at that. Utterly depraved

My guy, if you're not prepared to shotgun twelve ounces of autumnal charm with a nutmeg chaser at a moment's notice, what are you even doing?

Falling Leaves Fall GIF by chiara

• Haha 3
  • That's Metal 1

Guys, someone here has a library hold on the audiobook copy of the "gay jazz wizards do Harlem and solve crime" novella. That someone is me.

Someone also does not have a sleep-schedule intervention plan ready to be put on the desk of an aforementioned gay (ally?) jazz wizard. That someone is also me. How the hell can I set up an intervention for not going to bed? I can't even.

• Like 2

Ugh, my body hates everything tonight. Walking? Hates that. Pushups? I mean, I struggled through, but hell no. WTF is wrong with the electric meat sack? I had some sleep. At least some. I should be able to walk.

(It's partly that calf muscle. I refuse to accept it's not better, it's been great all summer.)

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Ottolenghi is definitely interesting.

Yum. Don’t know about the restaurant but his cookbooks don’t feel posh.

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

That someone is also me. How the hell can I set up an intervention for not going to bed? I can't even.

Remove everything from your bedroom except the bed and a device to play audiobooks (not your phone) and lock yourself in it?

Ugh, my body hates everything tonight. Walking? Hates that. Pushups? I mean, I struggled through, but hell no. WTF is wrong with the electric meat sack? I had some sleep. At least some. I should be able to walk.

There’s nothing wrong with, it just needs different things today. *cough* sleep. How about some gentle floor or chair yoga to recover from the pushups? 

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Shit, guys. I need a plan to fix my sleep on bad nights. By the end of the day. That's impossible.

Probably too late for your report but the good thing about contingency plans is that they are defined by the contingency. Not sleeping until sleep deprivation takes you down can be a contingency plan ultimately leading to sleep.

That being said, I'm awful at that. I'm managing to go to bed early because I cut access to my electronic devices (for you, it might have to be books, as awful as it sounds) and try to maintain some level of exercise but I usually wake up after 2-3 hours so I'm not sure it helps that much for actual sleep purposes. What I've come to realize is that my problem is not with sleep but with time. I've come to value nigth time, where not many outside things can disrupt me and accept that being low energy in the day is not a problem on the face of it. Things would change if I valued being energetic and actually able to do great things with my time more.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yum. Don’t know about the restaurant but his cookbooks don’t feel posh.

His food is not terribly posh, I think, more sort of modern high end rustic. But when it comes to the casual lunch, the restaurants are suited to someone with a more executive expense account. He's got some more informal brunch places, I believe.

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Remove everything from your bedroom except the bed and a device to play audiobooks (not your phone) and lock yourself in it?

Sleep hygiene is the solution for not falling asleep in bed, not for not going to bed. If you do not get up from the desk, get ready for bed, and enter the bedroom, sleep hygiene is totally irrelevant.

There are just no ADHD strategies that work on bedtime. Alarms don't work. Routines don't work often. Morning commitments don't work. (Except for morning flights, but that's both impractical for daily use, and just as likely to make me stay up to not miss it as go to sleep.) Bedtime mode on devices is slightly helpful, but again not often. And without enough sleep, no ADHD strategies work the rest of the time, either.

(Scheduling a meeting in bed would work, but there are some obvious problems with that as a strategy...)

8 hours ago, Jean said:

Not sleeping until sleep deprivation takes you down can be a contingency plan ultimately leading to sleep.

I know it was well meant, but this joke was unhelpful, and a little unaware of the scale and significance of the problem.

• Like 2

Sleep hygiene is the solution for not falling asleep in bed, not for not going to bed. If you do not get up from the desk, get ready for bed, and enter the bedroom, sleep hygiene is totally irrelevant.

Oh I get you. But is the problem that you're tired and procrastinate going to bed, or that you don't feel tired in the first place?

If you do get tired is it an option to set up an alternative crashing space? Might sound crazy but hear me out. Sleep hygiene is great and important, but sometimes it's much easier to pass out on the sofa watching a movie. I'm not saying it'd be a good habit to form, but in desperate times allowing yourself to pass out as you are might be better than procrastinating and not sleeping at all. Sometimes when I'm overtired and I finally drag myself to the bathroom to get ready it can actually make me stop feeling tired and I procrastinate even further. I'm not exactly sure what this would look like in your specific situation, maybe setting up the last meeting in a warm comfy spot near your desk. The main idea is about allowing yourself to fall asleep when/where you feel tired even if it's not optimal and with a phone next to your face.

To prevent procrastination I sometimes also get ready super early, hours before actual bedtime. Then I don't have to spend two hours in a completely incapacitated state because I really don't want to fall asleep with my contacts in, but I also really don't want to get up to take them out. Sometimes I feel like I have to "catch" the sleep. If I try to go to bed too early or too late it can be problematic. For me it's helpful to be ready for when I notice the tiredness and the sleep window is open. In this sense I don't really believe in a strict bed time. I think it's for the people that do things very consistently. But since I don't eat or train or brain according to schedule it doesn't make sense that my bedtime would or even should be consistent either. Within reason obviously. Which I don't always have.

If you're tired but in thinking mode the thing that sometimes works decently well for me is to write everything down.

If you don't feel tired in the first place the only thing I can think of is to start doing low stimulating activities well before bedtime so you get sufficiently but not too bored. Admittedly this might be an impossibly fine line.  My "strategy" when I'm not tired is to... not go to bed. If I can't stop myself from doing something it's to pull an all-nighter like a complete idiot because I don't even notice the time. And then regretting it the for the next three days. It really sucks. Sleep problems really suck. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, dealing with a lack of sleep so often. ?

Edit: I also get sleepier in low lights, maybe putting your lights on an automatic dimmer could help?

• Like 1

I know it was well meant, but this joke was unhelpful, and a little unaware of the scale and significance of the problem.

Acknowledged, sorry for that. I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

The only idea I have for your sleep woes is to get a feline assistant. Having a cat sit on you and purr is great for getting one to sit still and fall asleep. I understand that cats may not be allowed in your current living situation, sadly.

I do have a good idea for the Jacket & Tie goal: silk scarves are lovely and add a touch of class to any outfit.

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I get you. But is the problem that you're tired and procrastinate going to bed, or that you don't feel tired in the first place?

Yes. I usually am tired, but it's very common for me (and apparently a lot of fellow ADHDers) to be very disconnected from the physical signals, so I'm not actively feeling it. Or possibly suppressing it, because I'm focused on a task.

It's a little more than procrastination. When the brain is tired, it has fewer resources to manage ADHD behaviors, and a much larger number of things than usual can trigger hyperfocus, which is like... task OCD. (It's not OCD, but an analogy to how compulsive the behavior is.) So you can know better, you can even want to stop, but you can't break the focus. I mean, sometimes it's procrastination, sure. But that's not a very big problem, I think.

If you do get tired is it an option to set up an alternative crashing space?

I do this, too. Done is better than optimal, and sometimes you just need a nap to be rested enough to go to bed.:D Not as easy to do in my current situation, but on occasion.

Tired Animation GIF by Grizzy and the Lemmings

If you're tired but in thinking mode the thing that sometimes works decently well for me is to write everything down.

An interesting approach. I sometimes consider doing much more logging in general, simply on the grounds that writing things down makes me process them in a more organized way, and makes me pay attention to what I'm thinking. To work, it'd have to be a habit that preempts other tasks before I start them, and he a sustainable amount of effort. A possibility, at least.

I also get sleepier in low lights, maybe putting your lights on an automatic dimmer could help?

I do this, and it's... well, maybe helpful, but something I've become accustomed to, so it no longer feels like improvement.

12 hours ago, Jean said:

Acknowledged, sorry for that. I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Thanks for understanding! Not the right day. :)

11 hours ago, Mistr said:

I do have a good idea for the Jacket & Tie goal: silk scarves are lovely and add a touch of class to any outfit.

Scarves and necklaces are my plan. I just haven't got back into the habit yet. Before covid, I wore scarves every day, so I own a fair number. Now I'm just sort of... efficiently covering myself in a single layer of cotton knit.

Tyra Banks Wtf GIF

11 hours ago, Mistr said:

The only idea I have for your sleep woes is to get a feline assistant. Having a cat sit on you and purr is great

I think that sentence could just end right here. :D

They are fantastic sleep tutors.

Sleepy Cat GIF

• Like 4

5f21948c4333506691bc5c1996ea185e367d1ccf

I don't know whether this is useful or horrifying. Four hundred times?

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I got a steam burn from the kettle yesterday that, annoyingly, blistered up last night. It doesn't hurt anymore (yesterday it hurt like crap), but I think bubbly skin that I have to be careful of is a reason to feel very put upon and mope around. (I have put in a whole grocery order just to get bandaids the right size to cover it, because my gauze options are inferior. I mean, more veg variety doesn't hurt, but it's basically for the bandaids.)

It has made me very unproductive today. I'm gonna blame that. (But you don't understand! It's a very irritating location! Forearms get used more than you think.)

innocent futurama GIF

I also had a bit of a hydration slump that my sinuses have been hating, and I'm getting it back on track. They are almost hydrated enough. But basically, I need to hydrate tons and tons.

I don't think A Certain Wizard is very happy with me this week. I have not made sufficient effort or something.

• Sad 4

I think bubbly skin that I have to be careful of is a reason to feel very put upon and mope around.

EWWWW IT LOOKS SUPER DISGUSTING IT IS ALL PUFFY AND BLISTERY.

This fucker better not scar, guys.

I am so put-upon. No one is as put-upon as me.

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Minimizing scarring is mostly about moisturizing, preventing infection, and keeping it out of the sun.  You can cover both the first ones with an antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin. 

I didn't find that, though we may have something somewhere. But as soon as it blistered, I slammed some aloe on it and some Vaseline on the gauze to keep it from sticking to anything, so I think we've got moisture covered. It looks extremely hydrated at the moment. (This is why it's so extremely disgusting, and pulsating like a slimy cluster of infectious jellyfish on my arm.) And sun will not be a problem. We are securely bandaged. Should be fine.

Scooby Doo Walk GIF by Boomerang Official

(That's moping with bandages, although that dude is striding too purposefully for a really good self-pitying mope. Honestly, you can't outsource anything.)

• Like 5

On 9/28/2024 at 11:58 AM, sarakingdom said:

Scooby Doo Walk GIF by Boomerang Official

I got two vaccinations, so this actually is me right now. Bandages on everything.

• Wow 1

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

1st October, 2024

Dear Sara,

We need to talk.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 1

1st October, 2024

Dear Inspector Nightingale,

Oh dear. Is there really, truly no way I can get out of it? Bribery? Hospitalization?

Sincerely,

Sara Kingdom

Trainee at Large, Society of the Wise

• Like 3

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

1st October, 2024

Dear Sara,

I would accept your being signed off work by Dr Walid, though I think it unlikely on the back of two vaccinations and a small burn. Was it perhaps a haunted vaccination? A burn caused by demonic possession? Is there perhaps a dangling limb involved?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1