Forums are back in action! ×

HI! LOTR nerd that likes to athlete! :D

Hi all,

I was introduced to this website by Wild Wolf (ranger).  It looks pretty awesome, so I thought I'd give it a try!

I am a 23 year old Mechanical Engineer working at Bell Helicopter in DFW, Texas. 6'3", 203 lbs.  I am not new to fitness, however I am new to this site and forums in general.  I think I've got the website partially figured out, but any pointers you can give would be much appreciated! :)

I did track, cross country and soccer in high school.  In college I played 4 years as Captain/Coach of the Texas A&M Intercollegiate Quidditch Team where we consistently ranked very high nationally and got very close to a national title several times.  I have been playing for the alumni team Lone Star Quidditch Club for the past two years and we are hoping to take home the National championship title in a few weeks!  After that, I am retiring from quidditch and will just be playing Gaelic Football (Irish sport that is like a mix between Soccer and Rugby) for the Dallas Fionn Machumaill Club varsity team.  We play matches against other cities in Texas in the spring season and then ramp up for our National competition (Seattle this year) happening in September.

I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings slash Tolkien fan (Aragorn is my #1 role model in life).  I am also very much into the Percy Jackson series, Harry Potter, mythology, Greek & Roman history, European history from the rise of the Roman Empire through the late middle ages, Warcraft, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Golden Sun, Elder Scrolls, Halo, Dragon Age, etc.  I really like the idea of connecting my passion for athletic training and fitness with my passion for all these things.  Not really sure how I'll go about doing that, but I'm sure I will learn from you all along the way.

My goals change depending on whether I'm in offseason/preseason/inseason (off season is mostly warrior/scout, pre season is warrior/scout/assassin, in season is scout/assassin, with flexibility throughout all year) but it seems these challenges are well equipped for that variation.  

If you have any words of wisdom in regards to how I can effectively integrate my training into this type of RPG fantasy world, it would be much appreciated!  I look forward to getting to know all of you and both learn and teach and have a lot of fun with this!

tumblr_mhiw2a00Dh1qlajs2o4_r1_500.gif 

• Like 5

Eldarion
Lvl 0 Half-Elf Rebel

Character Page

Current Challenge

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."  -J.R.R. Tolkien

Hahahaha, this is awesome dude! Im glad you made it over and I think you're gonna like it around here.

We have a new challenge starting next Monday so you could always theme a challenge based off Aragorn. Basically- how would Aragorn's outlook, training, philosophies, leadership, friendship- relate to you and your outlook, training, philosophies, friendship, etc.

Like, maybe "The Speed of Strider" could be a goal where you practice speed ladder 3x a week and that awards you +3 DEX and +1 STA.

The sky's the limit for your challenge, the theme and how you integrate things. Hop around and look at folks threads to get the idea of things and just have fun :)

#FutureRanger

Wolf

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Hi and welcome here, fellow LOTR fan!

I'm new here and haven't done much yet to integrate my love of fantasy and RPG with real life, but you might enjoy these LOTR-themed articles:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/04/21/the-lord-of-the-rings-workout-one-plan-to-rule-them-all/

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

• Like 1

My Character

Challenges: Current | First | 2 | 3

I like your suggestions, Wild Wolf! I just did a regular non-themed challenge for my first try, and next challenge when I join the Rangers Guild I'm for sure going to do an Aragorn themed challenge.

Dreamspin, wow that One Plan to Rule Them All might have the most creatively named exercises I've ever seen.  I will definitely keep that one handy, thanks!  Looking forward to reading any LOTR-themed challenges you come up with!

Eldarion
Lvl 0 Half-Elf Rebel

Character Page

Current Challenge

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."  -J.R.R. Tolkien

I really like Steve's take on loot for completing quests, and making sure the loot benefits our health and goals.

If you're into running, when you complete a certain quest (distance, time, route, etc), maybe reward yourself with new shoes, running headphones, or clothes.

I'm not much of a runner, so I don't know what you'd use.  But the quest/loot system has been helping me stay on track a lot.  50% of my quests end with a tattoo :)

• Like 2

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

Hey! I'm new here and SUPER unfit, but I want to be Aragorn too (girl version) and live in New Zealand and have been lucky enough to go to a lot of the LoTR filming locations (and I live a few hours from Hobbiton!)  I have a couple of bows (recurve and longbow, traditional made of ash) but no idea how to use them. I do LARPing and swordfighting for that but I suck. I'd like to learn more archery and general badassery.  Somehow I think you can be an inspiration for me! :D  Willing to swap something nice from NZ for inspiration that brings results, ha ha!

Uuhhh... please tell me that's a quidditch game in your avi??

I like the character quests since you can really personalize it to subset and track goals and progress in whatever kind of RPG you're into, and I'm starting to get into the loot aspect also - got some nerdy workout shirts coming my way!