This feels like it calls for this gif:

The Daily Struggle

• Like 2

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

2 hours ago, Jean said:

How on Earth have I lived without this challenge thread?

I don't know, but welcome! Long time no see. I can't claim much credit for the narrative, I didn't write the books. :D

2 hours ago, Jean said:

Also, headaches suck, I hope they leave you well alone soon enough.

I think I've kind of got them under control, but I'm trying to stay on it. They're not great.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

This feels like it calls for this gif:

The Daily Struggle

Honestly, always time for that pic.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 9/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, sarakingdom said:

Not the fun kind, unfortunately, but the mental health kind. :D

Shame. But still interested. Any specific ones? Do you find them helpful or are they experimental?

On 9/20/2024 at 6:04 AM, sarakingdom said:

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

19th September, 2024

Dear Sara,

Interesting. Impractical at that scale, I fear. And, frankly, somewhat beyond your current resources. Instead, I suggest a walk.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

Nightingale might be right but he's being distinctly not helpful when everything is doom. Isn't boxing an approved activity for situations like this?

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Shame. But still interested. Any specific ones? Do you find them helpful or are they experimental?

Spoiler

I, um, haven't actually done them yet. :D I'm about to get told off by a fictional wizard for that.

It's the daily practice from a YouTube therapist called The Crappy Childhood Fairy. (Not that mine was, but she's got some pretty broadly applicable techniques for all sorts of anxiety and trauma behaviors and general high cortisol stress situations. ADHD is pretty high cortisol, plus these tie into my brain rest theories. I think she originally learned these from a recovering addict, so they seem pretty generalist.) It's behind a signup, but it's free.

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nightingale might be right but he's being distinctly not helpful when everything is doom. Isn't boxing an approved activity for situations like this?

Walks probably help with doom. Don't see why not. Apparently they work on everything. (Except, possibly, leg injuries. Walking probably doesn't solve those.)

Boxing almost certainly also helps with doom, but I lack some of the resources for that, too. (Namely, someone to punch.)

I'm just pleased he gave serious consideration to my revolution. :D

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

The Crappy Childhood Fairy

Thanks for sharing this!  I started watching her videos, and I like her delivery. ❤️ 

51 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Boxing almost certainly also helps with doom, but I lack some of the resources for that, too.

Do you have a nintendo switch? I play fitness boxing 2 on mine, and while it's not punching an actual person, I really enjoy it. YEAH!

Autumn hit like a freight train on the equinox.

I think I'm gonna have to take out the window fans, and I may have to call the swimming season closed, although I was hoping to finish out the month. Maybe I'll take a sweatshirt and a long sleeve rash guard and give it a try, but it's going to be a little rough, I fear.  (Maybe if I go earlier in the day, 8 can get maximum water warmth plus more air warmth.)

200.gif?cid=cad65057460m0h93zmtq88yw8a4b

Anyway. We're now gonna have to spice our coffee and eat gingerbread and maybe make pumpkin muffins.

200.gif?cid=cad65057q7ci71205kv1w3vrgp4j

I have been informed that I'm not allowed to post any autumnal magic video that includes the words "communing with the autumn fae", and I gotta say, I think he's right on that one. Also Harry Potter. I'm not allowed to post any Harry Potter.

(Unless that "autumn fae" is Molly. I'm permitted to enchant my quilts or bake magic cinnamon bread, which is her area. But I'm not allowed to to call her "autumn fae" if I value my blood staying on the inside.)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Thanks for sharing this!  I started watching her videos, and I like her delivery. ❤️ 

Yeah, she seems to have her head on straight, and has a good approach.

5 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Do you have a nintendo switch? I play fitness boxing 2 on mine, and while it's not punching an actual person, I really enjoy it. YEAH!

Alas, I do not. I would gladly punch virtual people. But instead I need to take a stupid walk.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Good news: less stupid bitch energy in my life. Bad news: a ton of annoying paternalistic sexism.

Movie Terminator GIF by Terminator: Dark Fate

I am so going to have my villain era, guys. I need it. I deserve it. I know that wizard, he won't stand in the way of this origin story.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Date: 23/09/24

All is solved by walking

Total min exercise

Walk 30-60 min

The strong anvil

5 min Hindu pushup

5 min Hindu squat

5 min  bridge

Clothes maketh the gender-neutral man

Jacket and tie

P

A nice close shave

Dawn is friend to the muses

Kept 8-10 schedule   Y

Kept 10-12 schedule

N

Kept 12-2 schedule

Kept 2-4 schedule

Kept 4-6 schedule    

Rest is the best medicine

6-8 hours of sleep

In bed by midnight

AM writing exercise

AM meditation

PM writing exercise

PM meditation

Interoception meditation

• Like 2

I'm having a day, so we're all going out to the coffee shop together. For this afternoon, this thread is a nice coffee shop. This is Rivers of London, so it's a London one. Let's try this one:

the-coffee-house-union.jpg

Sure, that looks seasonably chilly.

You can take a coffee break or settle in and study. What are your drinking? How's your afternoon going? What are your evening plans? Let's catch up.

b083e3ae17ed17d52e41a2940b104e1c.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

My that looks cozy. I wish my evening plans involved drinking a warm beverage and catching up in my log book.

In reality, I will be moving stuff.

Perhaps a warm drink after you finish moving. You wouldn't want to catch a chill from the damp.

• Like 1

Ohh, I really want hot chocolate, but that will have to wait until I get home (assuming I remember; last night I forgot).

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

24th September, 2024

Dear Sara,

I'd say your first week went moderately well, and your second week rather less well. I put much of that down to your sleep schedule.

Rather than simply suggest you fix it, which is obvious, I'm going to recommend an emphasis on more exercise and more mental rest during the day. (I'm sure there's a popular-science reason for this as there was in my youth, and Abdul could no doubt tell you that it was. The Newtonian explanation isn't simple at this point in your training, but roughly speaking, it's correcting an an energy disregulation.)

I'm also redoing your daily schedule to reflect a change I suspect will help. I suggest that you take this as a starting point, and focus on the small things.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I had a busy afternoon, so very much looking forward to a cuppa and a good book.  And now I want a cozy corner to do it in.

Do you have a cozy corner?

37 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

Ohh, I really want hot chocolate, but that will have to wait until I get home (assuming I remember; last night I forgot).

We can probably remind you...

Hot Chocolate Drink GIF

• Like 3

Pouring Episode 2 GIF by UFC

I have done some stuff, and it is now time for my nerd-themed evening activity, at which you may join me if you like:

(Cut for politics.)

Spoiler

Geeks and Nerds for Harris

Can't embed it, but it's live now.

ETA: Okay, Carter's team did some kick-ass media production on this.

Hosted by Lynda Carter, with Mark Hamill, LeVar Burton, Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins, Sean Astin from Lord of the Rings, Bill Nye the Science Guy, several astronauts, and Wheatus. (And probably Wil Wheaton. There's always Wil Wheaton.)

ETA: That's a yes on Wil Wheaton. Also on Jeri Ryan, Jonathan Frakes, and George Takei.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 1

5 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Sadly, no.  My library chair got commandeered for downstairs use and my window seat dreams have not yet been realized.  I will have to settle for reading in bed.

Reading in bed is good, but also, enough quilts make any place you sit pretty cozy. One really plush one is a start, but two is better. The floor can be pretty cozy...

Baroness Von Sketch Fashion GIF by IFC

• Like 1

Date: 24/09/24

All is solved by walking

Total min exercise

Walk 30-60 min

Good job. Keep going.

The strong anvil

5 min Hindu pushup

5 min Hindu squat

5 min  bridge

Clothes maketh the gender-neutral man

Jacket and tie

P

A nice close shave

Dawn is friend to the muses

Kept 8-10 schedule   N

Kept 10-12 schedule

P

Kept 12-2 schedule

P

Kept 2-4 schedule

P
Kept 4-6 schedule   P

An improvement.

Rest is the best medicine

6-8 hours of sleep

Y

In bed by midnight

N

AM writing exercise

N

AM meditation

N

PM writing exercise

PM meditation

Interoception meditation

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Time for hot chocolate. Better make it quick, the coffee shop is closing for tonight.

Maybe we'll all go out for virtual lunch tomorrow. Anyone know any good places in London?

• Thanks 1