Sara Kingdom's Rivers of London 9: Mens sana in corpore sano (Halloween edition))

38 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Somehow, I just can't imagine Nightingale doing the jitterbug. Waltz, certainly. Tango, quite possibly. Jitterbug?

Black Bottom! He was very specifically taught the Black Bottom by a young woman named Cocoa.

(I'm mourning that I had to return my audiobook. And now I have to wait for seven people to check out out before I can get it again.)

• Sad 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

44 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

(I'm mourning that I had to return my audiobook. And now I have to wait for seven people to check out out before I can get it again.)

Does your library have reciprocal lending agreements with any other libraries? I currently have cards from four different library systems (and know I could get at least one more if I wanted to) and sometimes one of them will have what I want when all copies are checked out in the other systems.

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27, #28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 2021202220232024

Adventures: Adventurers Wanted: A West-Marches Campaign

1 hour ago, Ranger Hal said:

Does your library have reciprocal lending agreements with any other libraries? I currently have cards from four different library systems (and know I could get at least one more if I wanted to) and sometimes one of them will have what I want when all copies are checked out in the other systems.

I have two cards, but the other doesn't get the audiobooks and only some of the book books in this series. (They don't have this one, alas.)

• Sad 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I want to see trends, so I'm gonna test a weekly view. This might be too much effort, we'll see.

Challenge week 1

M T W T F S S
30-60 min exercise
30 Min walking
Hindu pushups
Hindu squats
Bridge
Jacket & tie
Smooth shave
Start timer
Magical workings
30 Min vampire training
Co-working            
Reflective practice
Midnight bedtime
6-8 hours sleep
20 min meditation
Interroception meditation
Therapy writing

Roygbiv Key

none

did something

did half

basic pass

strong pass

did extra

Weekly targets:

Co-working - 1 session

Bodyweight - let's call 3 sessions a week a win this week. We'll work up to daily.

Sure, let's do a running challenge average, too. That's relatively easy.

Spoiler

Challenge totals

Week: 1 2 3 4 5 Tk End
30-60 min exercise  
30 Min walking  
Hindu pushups  
Hindu squats  
Bridge  
Jacket & tie  
Smooth shave  
Start timer  
Magical workings  
30 Min vampire training  
Co-working  
Reflective practice  
Midnight bedtime  
6-8 hours sleep  
20 min meditation  
Therapy writing  

Roygbiv Key

0 - none

1 - did something

2 - did half

3 - basic pass

4 - strong pass

5 - did extra

• Like 4

I'm curious now, does the video really show black bottom? I don't know much about it (and most of it is lost anyway) but I associate it with a looser, more grounded dance. Lots more hips and shoulders and bent knees. And booty/knee slapping, which definitely doesn't seem Nightingale approved. 😄 But maybe this is what it looked like when white people danced it in couples...

On 10/18/2024 at 11:10 PM, sarakingdom said:

9ae37fd9e00af74a14c1b10c2fa7b4fd.gif

No parsley😇

• Like 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm curious now, does the video really show black bottom? I don't know much about it (and most of it is lost anyway) but I associate it with a looser, more grounded dance. Lots more hips and shoulders and bent knees. And booty/knee slapping, which definitely doesn't seem Nightingale approved. 😄 But maybe this is what it looked like when white people danced it in couples...

An interesting question, because the documentation is sparse.

If what you're thinking of is this with all the high knees and butt slapping, it appears to be not a 1920s dance, but a 1950s pastiche choreography to old-timey music:

If you're thinking this, this appears to be the actual thing:

It is showier, but the basic moves seem pretty similar, so I think the difference is a professional dancer doing a stylized solo performance for an audience, versus the casual amateur partnered version that people would do on the local dancefloor on Friday night after work.

They're also both labeled "black bottom" in contemporary 1926/7 title cards, so I think that's pretty reasonable documentary evidence for it. Title cards can be wrong, but it's two very similar dances both labeled the same, so I think there's a strong probability.

• Like 1

today is the 23rd of October

day of the bridge of moons

image.jpg

Solvitur ambulando

30-60 Min exercise
  30 Min walking

Malleum non temnit

Hindu pushups

Hindu squats

Bridge

Vestis viram facit

Jacket & tie
  A smooth shave

Aurora musis amica

Start timer on alarm  
One magical working per hour  
30 min vampire training  
One co-working session  
Reflective practice TBD  

Optimum quies est

In bed by midnight

6-8 hours sleep

20 min meditation

One therapy writing session

• Like 1