Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to my students as a read aloud and Preston and Child's Blue Labyrinth (for the past 4 months?...) for myself. The Pendergast series is so much fun. He reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. :) 

• Like 1

Hobbit- Lvl 1

Recruit- Future Assassin 

STR: 1 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 2 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 2.9

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."  - Walt Disney

Current Challenge

Walking to Mordor 

11.26%
11.26%

Currently reading the Guyver manga cause I found it online and remembered enjoying the anime 

Have Predator One (the newest Joe Ledger book) in the hopper waiting too! 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

I started the book 1 of game of thrones, then got distracted and ended up reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

so far its awesoooooome, get it free at hpmor.com

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

I'm reading Vertigo by Sebald and I... Don't get it.

I'm so confused.

Maybe if I keep reading I'll get the point but it kinda feels like a rambly travelogue.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

I started the book 1 of game of thrones, then got distracted and ended up reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

so far its awesoooooome, get it free at hpmor.com

Oooh you should read batman and philosophy as well :)

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

Oooh you should read batman and philosophy as well :)

I don't usually do fanfic. and I sort of started HP:MoR by mistake. But so far Im pleasently surprised.

Batman and philosophy sounds cool. maybe I'll look for it too!

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

a stack of books are in the rack with me.

1. The Man from Skibeereen (Louis L'Amour)

2. In the Gravest Extreme (Massad Ayoob)

3. Tequila Junction

4. Raising a Modern-Day Knight

5. The 5 Love Languages (Military Edition)

6. The King James Version of the Holy Bible

7. Tarzan and the Ant-men

Lv 2 Human Assassin
Str:4
Dex:3
Sta:2
Con:1
Wis:2
Cha:0
Motto: "Don't give up yet...You've still got a couple of M*therf*ckers to prove wrong!"
Previous Challenge:Challenge 1: Ryan's Quest for Inner Peace

One of my current challenge goals is to read 2 yoga related books.

1. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and The Secret Power of Yoga (a translation/commentary of the Yoga Sutras by a woman)

2. Yoga Mala

For fun I'm reading:

The Fallen Princess (a medieval mystery)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

With my financial health goal, right now I'm reading 'How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any' by Erik Weck. If anyone has read anything good in the credit rebuilding or financial planning areas, I'd gladly take some suggestions.

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, plus I Will Teach You to be Rich by Ramit Sethi and Soldier of Finance by Jeff Rose. 

• Like 1

With my financial health goal, right now I'm reading 'How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any' by Erik Weck. If anyone has read anything good in the credit rebuilding or financial planning areas, I'd gladly take some suggestions.

I'm not far enough along to know how it addresses credit rebuilding specifically, but Coursera has a free course on personal and family financial planning that just started a couple weeks ago.

Just finished reading Erik Larson's latest book, Dead Wake: the Last Crossing of the Lusitania, and I HIGHLY recommend it!! I'm usually strictly a fiction-reader, but my boss recommended this one to me (and had an extra copy lying around), and it was really excellent. Even if you think you have zero interest in World War I, naval warfare, or history!

Immediately turned around and read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and just finished that one ten minutes ago. Also wonderful. Funny and painful and thought-provoking all at the same time.

• Like 1

Challenge | Twitter: @jarnold427 | Obsession

New Goal Progress

0%
0%

Start: 190   |   Goal: 175

Goal Achieved!!!

100%
100%

Start: 225   |   Goal: 190

Battle Log: Operation Avenger

Just finished reading Erik Larson's latest book, Dead Wake: the Last Crossing of the Lusitania, and I HIGHLY recommend it!! I'm usually strictly a fiction-reader, but my boss recommended this one to me (and had an extra copy lying around), and it was really excellent. Even if you think you have zero interest in World War I, naval warfare, or history!

Immediately turned around and read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and just finished that one ten minutes ago. Also wonderful. Funny and painful and thought-provoking all at the same time.

I just finished In the Garden of Beasts by him and it was excellent! He is such a good writer, it feels like you are stepping into those peoples' lives, instead of just being told what happened.

I definitely need to go out and buy Dead Wake now 

• Like 1

Miles ran consecutively: 13.1/26.2

50%
50%

Pushups done consecutively: 16/20

80%
80%

Finished Vertigo. Bleh. Now I'm reading Me Before You buy Jojo Moyes and it's a relief to understand and enjoy.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

I'm strictly a fiction reader too but I've added Dead Wake to my 'to read' list - you've got me intrigued and maybe it's time to branch out?

• Like 1

TKDgirl Level 3 amazon

STR 7 DEX 0 STA 7 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 3

Challenges: 1 2, current

20 good form push ups

45%
45%

I'm strictly a fiction reader too but I've added Dead Wake to my 'to read' list - you've got me intrigued and maybe it's time to branch out?

Definitely worth it for Erik Larson! He takes so much material surrounding these historical events and weaves together a beautiful narrative. Since he uses so many primary sources (like people's journals and war logs), it reads like a novel at times. Really worth the dip into nonfiction :) I just added his other work to my list!

• Like 1

Challenge | Twitter: @jarnold427 | Obsession

New Goal Progress

0%
0%

Start: 190   |   Goal: 175

Goal Achieved!!!

100%
100%

Start: 225   |   Goal: 190

Battle Log: Operation Avenger

So many good books on this list! I just started reading Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America, by Jeff Ryan. So far it's really interesting!

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Just finished Les Miserables for the....seventh time? Eighth time? I've read it yearly since 16, so I lose count. (Greatest. Book. EVER.) And just finished "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins. (Sprinkling a lighter book in between Hugo's rants about sewer systems and Waterloo keeps La Pave a little more manageable.)

Now a couple of books on beekeeping are on my plate--for no particular reason other than I think beekeeping sounds really interesting.

Multifaceted Obsessionist