Forums are back in action! ×

A new Rebel joins the club

Hi everybody,

I only just recently discovered this website and after reading a bit here and there, I decided this is just what I need to get my life back on track.

But first things first... let me tell you a bit more about myself and where I come from. I'm a 39-year old woman from Belgium who works in the IT business (= sitting on my butt all day). I used to live quite an active life when I was younger (horse-riding, hiking, badminton, etc.) but about 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). Basically, it's a heart rhytm condition. I went to see a doctor who, apart from prescribing medication, also imposed some limitations on my life: no more sports, no more flying, no more sauna's, no more alcohol, no more cafeïne, etc. At the time, I thought he knew what he was talking about (after all, he was a doctor!) so I followed his advice and started taking the pills. I started to put on weight almost immediately. Furthermore, it seemed the dosis he had given me wasn't enough as I kept having heart palpitations, so I went back and he increased the dosis... again and again and again.

After 4 years of this, I was weighing about 113 kg (249 lbs) and I had no energy. Just climbing one set of stairs left me out of breath. My colleagues, who of course knew of my condition, advised me to see a 2nd doctor, which I did last year in July. What a difference he was! He was actually quite angry at the other guy, because all those restrictions were rubbish and it was obvious I hadn't been given the right medication. He immediately signed me up for a cardiac ablation, which is a type of surgery that can cure most heart rhytm conditions. I had this heart surgery in September last year, and I haven't had any more palpitations since then. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to stop taking the medication immediately, I had to slowly reduce the dosis bit by bit, but I took my last pill on Christmas Day!

A further 2 months have passed and I have lost a bit of weight (about 5kg = 11 lbs) and I am trying to incorporate more exercise into my life, but I'm a massive procastinator and I always think: I'll do it tomorrow. I live on my own so there's nobody around to check on me either.

So that's where this site comes in. I need the support and feedback of people around me (even though it's only virtual) so I can start living again. I read there is a challenge starting tomorrow and I want to get started immediately. Just getting off the couch every evening will be a challenge for me, but I want to do it, I want to look and feel good again!

• Like 2

Welcome, Ohnna! I've always had trouble with procrastination, myself, so I know how difficult it is to work past. Everyone is different, but for me, something as simple as playing a favorite up-tempo song or putting on my special, brightly colored athletic socks will be enough to get me off the couch. Best of luck! I know you can do it!

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Welcome to the rebellion...thank goodness you found a doctor that knew what he was doing! So many times I think they are just overpaid drug pushers...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda