Forums are back in action! ×

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions for model making @Teros but I hope you'll post progress picts along the way!! I wanna see everything!! Love me some mini landscapes, but the closest I get are lego sets for our fishtanks.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions for model making @Teros but I hope you'll post progress picts along the way!! I wanna see everything!! Love me some mini landscapes, but the closest I get are lego sets for our fishtanks.

Interestingly enough, I will be utilizing those as well...

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Teros said:

Interestingly enough, I will be utilizing those as well...

YAAAEEES

Lovely! What a pretty design @Waldo I've always admired wood workers, the best thing ever made was a cover for my fish tank but, well...

5g9tnX0.jpg

How do the cushions work? Is there some kind of support or platform or some such? Sorry, I'm curious an uneducated :P 

14 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

How do the cushions work? Is there some kind of support or platform or some such? Sorry, I'm curious an uneducated :P 

This is a copy/riff on a vintage design and will use a similar support structure.

That's one of the details I have to wrap up.  The cushions are supported by flexible straps that are woven in the open area.  It'll look sort of like those straps around a metal frame lawn chairs in the open area, but the straps are flexible, unlike lawn chairs.  Contemporary furniture usually uses metal springs that does about the same thing.  The straps are supported by cutting slots into the seat support, there are clips on either end of the strap that are inserted into the slot.

Here is an example:

teak.jpg

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

On 3/20/2016 at 8:04 AM, Teros said:

Read through a bunch of this but maybe I skipped it -anyone do mini landscapes? I saw someone did models for trains in this thread and that little house was awesome.  I'm trying to make an entire world.  I have a basic layout that I want to use but I might run into snags and have questions. I have some materials and ideas.  I'm going to be crafting on a big piece of particle-board as the world base.  I have some small acrylic paints (any info on brand/type in this regard would be helpful), and I'm going to be using cardboard, balsa, rocks, legos, some plastic ferns, some 'actual' miniature crafting things (like a roll of fake grass), and I'm going to be grabbing some cheap green spices.  I also don't know if this would work at all, but you know that fluffy lint that you take off of your drier when you clean the lint trap?  It looks like if I ripped that into smaller chunks and painted it, it could make random foliage.

I guess I'm just looking for any other tips/tricks/material ideas for what I'm doing since I'm just starting out. The world is going to have every type of terrain: mountains, snow, swamp, forest, desert, and some rivers (no idea what to do for water in this instance).

Currently, I'm only in my planning phase. I took the washer/drier room which was used as storage and shifted all of it into a small closet, basically freeing up 3/4 of a small room. I'll be making this my craft corner.

(snipped)

Sorry I didn't notice this before, the thread fell off my "following" list.

While you CAN use spices and stuff for foliage, it will degrade over time.

There's a company called Woodland Scenics that makes a TON of stuff aimed at model railroaders, but would work great for what you're planning.  Scenic Express is another company.

What you're basically doing is making a train layout without the trains, so methods that work on train layouts will work for you too.

There are tons of ways of making the scenery base.  One of the easiest is to use foam insulation (NOT the white beaded stuff, much too messy, the pink or blue foam used to insulate walls), stack it to make your hills, carve valleys, etc.  Then cover with plaster-cloth (exactly the stuff they used to make casts for broken arms with, it's gauze with plaster in it, you dunk it in water and apply).  Paint, as ground foam or turf (again Woodland Scenics makes it) over diluted white glue.  You can make trees starting with weeds and stuff, dry them, paint them (believe it or not, most trees are grey, not brown) which will also seal them, spray on cheap hairspray and apply ground foam.

In place of plaster cloth you could use paper towels (the industrial type, the brown stuff) dunked in soupy plaster, but that's REAL messy (ask me how i know that, go ahead).  Plaster cloth is a bit more expensive, but much neater.

For paints, I use the plain old acrylic paints from the craft store, cheap, clean up with water, and work fine.  If you use it on wooden models prime them first, they will warp the wood.  In fact make sure you seal anything that may warp (cardboard, wood), because it will.

If you decide to add things like people, vehicles, buildings etc decide on a scale.  Model railroading stuff can be your friend here, just 'cause you don't have trains doesn't mean you can't use the other stuff.  The major scales (in the US) are O-scale (1:48), HO (1:87, originally intended to be half-O), and N (1:160).  There are others that are less popular, but they can be found, including Z (1:220, TINY), G (1:22.5, BIG), S (1:64).  Then there are scales popular in Europe like OO (1:76) and TT (1:120).

I suspect I've given you a lot more than you wanted.......

• Like 2
On 3/29/2016 at 7:13 AM, Waldo said:

This is a copy/riff on a vintage design and will use a similar support structure.

That's one of the details I have to wrap up.  The cushions are supported by flexible straps that are woven in the open area.  It'll look sort of like those straps around a metal frame lawn chairs in the open area, but the straps are flexible, unlike lawn chairs.  Contemporary furniture usually uses metal springs that does about the same thing.  The straps are supported by cutting slots into the seat support, there are clips on either end of the strap that are inserted into the slot.

Here is an example:

teak.jpg

I love the joints on that!  Is it just a butt joint you've contoured, or is there a special technique for it?

6 hours ago, Mark D said:

The major scales (in the US) are O-scale (1:48), HO (1:87, originally intended to be half-O), and N (1:160).  There are others that are less popular, but they can be found, including Z (1:220, TINY), G (1:22.5, BIG), S (1:64).  Then there are scales popular in Europe like OO (1:76) and TT (1:120).

I suspect I've given you a lot more than you wanted.......

I'd prefer more info than not enough, so nope.

I do have a Q about that piece that I kept quoted.  I don't understand the scales.  I was thinking for buildings; I wasn't going to buy any scalable stuff like that - my intention was to use cardboard along with legos for structural integrity.  It's all middle-age so I was going to make small things that would be fake brick or wood. I figure that a lego 'base' building with cardboad 'wrapping' that I would paint.  Not sure if that would work.

I think that maybe I should just run headfirst into this blind and learn from mistakes as I build stuff up.  Not sure.  I'm torn:  I'm definietely the 'planner' type, but I'm also a hands-on and visual learner.

6 hours ago, Jburns08 said:

I love the joints on that!  Is it just a butt joint you've contoured, or is there a special technique for it?

Yes the joints are contoured, however they are not butt joints, which are much too weak for this application.  All of what appear to be butt joints are mortise and tenon joints with floating tenons (both sides were mortised and a separate tenon piece cut, which makes it easier to make precise joint angles).  A few of the joints (both ends of the arm and the where the bottom back member joins the sides) use large dowels instead of tenons due to the small size (the arms) or multiple joints at a point (the bottom back member), where the dowels make the other joint "pinned".

To shape I use an angle grinder, spokeshave, rasp, file, and orbital sander, and good ol hand sanding.  Lots of elbow grease.

I didn't make that chair, its an example of the piece I am sorta copying with the loveseat.

• Like 1

currently cutting

don't panic!

2 hours ago, Teros said:

I'd prefer more info than not enough, so nope.

I do have a Q about that piece that I kept quoted.  I don't understand the scales.  I was thinking for buildings; I wasn't going to buy any scalable stuff like that - my intention was to use cardboard along with legos for structural integrity.  It's all middle-age so I was going to make small things that would be fake brick or wood. I figure that a lego 'base' building with cardboad 'wrapping' that I would paint.  Not sure if that would work.

I think that maybe I should just run headfirst into this blind and learn from mistakes as I build stuff up.  Not sure.  I'm torn:  I'm definietely the 'planner' type, but I'm also a hands-on and visual learner.

Ok, the scales are the proportion of real life (prototype) to model, so HO scale, being 1:87 is 1/87th the size of the real thing.  A six foot (72 inch) man would be 72/87 inch tall.  The scale becomes important if you want to incorporate things you'd rather not build, like people.  You CAN buld people from wire armatures and clay, but it's.much easier to buy them, which means using one of the common scales.

That's assuming of course you want realistic looking people inhabiting your world and not Lego people.  Which is fine, your hobby, your world.

Oh, I should also add, you see scales done as the scale length of a foot.  So 1 inch scale (a common dollhouse scale) is one inch to the foot, or 1:12 in the way I used above.  O scale (1:48) is quarter inch scale.  Most of the other model railroad scales are metric, and honestly kinda silly.for my purposes.  You see that method used a lot in things like military models.

Yeah, like I said, too much information... 

Am I the only one here who enjoys working with paracord?

Funny you should say that, I have a watch face I was thinking of doing a paracord band for but never used it before. What kinds of stuff do you do?

Sent from somewhere in the universe

What kinds of stuff do you do?

Mostly paracord bracelets, although I do have a quick release strand attached to my backpack (that untangles to about 8 feet in length), and a rattle-snake key fob that was a pain to make, but worth it.  I keep a cross-stitch pattern bracelet on my left wrist, and a Mad Max inspired, buckle-free, cobra-stitch pattern bracelet on my right wrist.  Hopefully, I'd like to get started on creating a replica of Bane's cuffs from "The Dark Knight Rises".

You can find tutorials for ALL these on Youtube.  Just look for Weavers of Eternity.

Later in July, I'll be volunteering at a summer camp, teaching kids how to make a basic cobra-style bracelets with buckles.

• Like 2

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

19 minutes ago, Captain Inertia said:

Mostly paracord bracelets, although I do have a quick release strand attached to my backpack (that untangles to about 8 feet in length), and a rattle-snake key fob that was a pain to make, but worth it.  I keep a cross-stitch pattern bracelet on my left wrist, and a Mad Max inspired, buckle-free, cobra-stitch pattern bracelet on my right wrist.  Hopefully, I'd like to get started on creating a replica of Bane's cuffs from "The Dark Knight Rises".

You can find tutorials for ALL these on Youtube.  Just look for Weavers of Eternity.

Later in July, I'll be volunteering at a summer camp, teaching kids how to make a basic cobra-style bracelets with buckles.

Sweet! Thanks for the link! I should really make a quick release for my day pack before hiking season kicks in again. I miss working at camps, and now live near a whole bunch of them! But I'm never in town consistently enough for a proper job at one :( 

Ah, and here is the first mockup for the formal top I've been meaning to get to. (I apparently don't have any muslin lying around, but plenty of fug prints I don't mind burning through!) 

I'm going shopping for fabrics tomorrow, and after trying it on, decided to go strapless with a slightly lower drop, maybe 4 - 6", and replacing the flimsy button closure in the back for an invisible zipper.

mFkjv6l.jpg

• Like 3

And I'm done with the loveseat.

IMG_7551sm_zpssxptolxl.jpg

IMG_7569sm_zpsh3nqquid.jpg

Time to clean up the epic mess making it left behind..

Next up in the shop I'm going to make some wooden cooking utensils with some of my extra cherry.  I've made several spoons as gifts, but only one for me, and it was my first, and by comparison to what I can make, its terrible (plus not a great utensil wood, walnut).  I want to do a saute spoon, a pasta mixer, and a ground beef spatula, each meant specifically for a dish we commonly make.  Nice and easy things I can bang out in a day or two each, instead of the 4 month marathon the loveseat was.

I definitely want to do some more upholstery.  If its anything like the way I woodwork, time to ratchet up the difficulty.  

My wife got pretty excited about the possibility of picking fabric for throw pillows instead of hunting for them, though I told her I'd show her how to do it instead of making them for her.  A few years back she said she wanted to learn to sew and I got her a book on it with some easy projects; I've got a machine now so that excuse it gone (though she had a little miniature one).  I suspect she'll be making some pillows here in the future.

• Like 4

currently cutting

don't panic!

On 4/18/2016 at 11:45 AM, Waldo said:

And I'm done with the loveseat.

IMG_7551sm_zpssxptolxl.jpg

IMG_7569sm_zpsh3nqquid.jpg

Time to clean up the epic mess making it left behind..

Next up in the shop I'm going to make some wooden cooking utensils with some of my extra cherry.  I've made several spoons as gifts, but only one for me, and it was my first, and by comparison to what I can make, its terrible (plus not a great utensil wood, walnut).  I want to do a saute spoon, a pasta mixer, and a ground beef spatula, each meant specifically for a dish we commonly make.  Nice and easy things I can bang out in a day or two each, instead of the 4 month marathon the loveseat was.

I definitely want to do some more upholstery.  If its anything like the way I woodwork, time to ratchet up the difficulty.  

My wife got pretty excited about the possibility of picking fabric for throw pillows instead of hunting for them, though I told her I'd show her how to do it instead of making them for her.  A few years back she said she wanted to learn to sew and I got her a book on it with some easy projects; I've got a machine now so that excuse it gone (though she had a little miniature one).  I suspect she'll be making some pillows here in the future.

Very cool.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

On 4/6/2016 at 6:52 PM, Bob the Barbarian said:

This is really cool. I was thinking about trying to make a bracelet. :)

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria