Forums are back in action! ×

Starting a new life in almost every way...at 40. Yikes

My first post. I joined many months ago but I guess I just wasn't mentally ready yet.  I am now and hope to utilize this as a means of rebuilding my life.  I have the opportunity to start over in every way in my life.  I say opportunity not because I'm happy about it but because there are many much less fortunate.  I'm grateful for my health and very grateful for my children.  Those are about the only 2 things left to start over with.  

My life was incredible, houses, boat, all the toys, wonderful marriage, 5 amazing children from age 1 - 19, great business, etc. It all started to crumble in 2010 when my precious 2 year old son was diagnosed with a rare disease that causes tumors.  Watching him go through chemo was excruciating. No child should have to endure that pain.  3 months later my 5th child passed away.  5 months later my oldest daughter had a breakdown as a result of the grief and ran away from home.  My marriage began to crumble, as did the business I helped build. I lost my stake in the business to focus on my son. I lost the home, the marriage is over, everything is gone. 

Depression set in partly because I was not healthy enough to withstand the storm. When I'm exercising and eating correctly, there is zero depression and I can face life's challenges much better. I had let myself go for 15 years.  I was up to 245 lbs in 2012 but was down to 170 lbs. 6 months ago as a result of the depression and just not eating. I'm now up to 180 lbs. and in better shape than I've been in many years. However, I've only just begun this new life and the blessing of being healthy enough to start over.

My apartment complex has a gym that I've used sporadically. I took over a FedEx route (if you didn't get your xmas stuff, I swear it wasn't me) to make ends meet until I can get another business started, and that alone has made a huge difference in my physical shape. It has shown me what I did to myself all those years by not being active.  I'm back into life and ready to roll.

Sorry this got a little long.  I sure could use a mentor or someone to help me put together a plan of action, goals, etc.  I don't even know where to begin with exercise and nutrition goals. Life has humbled me and made me teachable and willing to follow directions. I do great with support but alone have motivation problems.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome Lord Tim.

I'm so sorry about what happened to your family. It is amazing that you found the strength to fight on after all that. If you want information about training, check out the subforums for tips, routines and such.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Wish I could say something to make it all better, really I do. Human to human, I'm here and I care. Also, I've learned a lot about healing depression with nutrition, and would be happy to share what I've learned if you're interested. Either way, you're awesome for getting up and walking on. What an amazing role model for your children, seriously.

• Like 1

I'm a word-nerd. I write and spend probably way too many hours daydreaming about characters and plots. After reading your introduction, I could only think one thing:

The best characters have difficult backgrounds.

Your story isn't over, nor is it just beginning. This is just Book 2.

Make it a good one.

• Like 1

You've been through a great deal of things! I can't imagine going through something similar, glad you're getting back up!

If you want, I love talking to people and helping them on a more personal level, I've lost quite a bit of weight myself and gained some muscle while at it. 

Let me know if you need a hand (pm me) ;)

• Like 1

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Wow...welcome...I have 'started life over' many times, involving moving, marriages and relationships ending, career, and just life...but never for reasons you have written here...my heart hurts for you, and the fact that you have the strength to begin again fills me with a great amount of admiration

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda