Forums are back in action! ×

Not NERD enough – Wandering the Wasteland

I’m new to the challenge thing and found NF a few months ago while researching Paleo/Primal eating. It’s been a great resource so far but and I joined the challenge/forum to kinda have a way to make myself accountable to something. Now, after a few days of reading the posts, it makes me wonder if I’m in the right place. But, at least I feel like I picked the right name.

I chose madmax79 for two reasons. 1: I love the Mad Max movies. 2: My first Jeep was a 1979 Cherokee Chief that was built from sheer salvage and scrap and painted flat black (it would have fit in the movie perfectly). Now, sitting here reading the fantastic and creative stories and realize that I’m the outsider. Just like Max, a loner.

Back in high school, I would have totally considered myself a “nerdâ€: socially awkward and sheltered by my parents from experiencing the world. But when I went out on my own, I made it a point to live the life that I watched from the window. I got into motorcycles, tattoos, and Jeeps and boats. I traveled extensively and have seen many states, Caribbean islands and a few European and Mid-east countries.  I’ve done epic road trips, camping solo or just finding the first available roach motel.

Along the way, I found a need to express my creative side and got into photography, stained glass and woodworking. I’m also a self-taught mechanic. Since I turned 18, I never have been one to sit still. I’m not into playing video games, getting caught up in TV shows or movies or playing fantasy games. I will admit that since the advent of the DVR, I am addicted to the Walking Dead but I’ve probably only caught four or five episodes when they actually aired.

I now have a large group of extended friends. I’ve forced myself to meet people and share the awesome sights I have seen. I love hearing their stories and getting different points of view. Sometimes, the people themselves are sights to be seen. The second half of my life so far has been amazing but I have recently found myself stuck in a rut.

I became a first-time father at 40 years old and now that my kid has just turned three, I found she has an adventurous spirit that I want to foster. I need to get fit again and make sure I’m there with her to encourage her to experience life. I don’t have any outstanding memories of my childhood and worked incredibly hard to make up for it. My wife has grandiose stories of when she was a kid. We’ve been together 11 years and we share the zest for adventure. I want my daughter to be like her…spectacular and well rounded. I’d rather be there to see the look of wonder as she experiences new things and I can’t if I’m too out of shape, too tired and sitting on the couch.

So now that I’m here, I’ve posted my goals in level 1 and started a battle log but I don’t think I’ll be coming up with any wild fantasy stories. And, I probably won’t understand 90% of the names and references that people are using. But I’m committed to the challenge and I’ll continue to update my battle log as time goes by.

Welcome Madmax!

That's a great background you have! And your little girl sounds sweet! Don't worry about the references, the role-playing and all that jazz. You're here to level up your life, and how you do it is all up to you.

Good luck with your goals and your challenge!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I’m new to the challenge thing and found NF a few months ago while researching Paleo/Primal eating. It’s been a great resource so far but and I joined the challenge/forum to kinda have a way to make myself accountable to something. Now, after a few days of reading the posts, it makes me wonder if I’m in the right place. But, at least I feel like I picked the right name.

I chose madmax79 for two reasons. 1: I love the Mad Max movies. 2: My first Jeep was a 1979 Cherokee Chief that was built from sheer salvage and scrap and painted flat black (it would have fit in the movie perfectly). Now, sitting here reading the fantastic and creative stories and realize that I’m the outsider. Just like Max, a loner.

Back in high school, I would have totally considered myself a “nerdâ€: socially awkward and sheltered by my parents from experiencing the world. But when I went out on my own, I made it a point to live the life that I watched from the window. I got into motorcycles, tattoos, and Jeeps and boats. I traveled extensively and have seen many states, Caribbean islands and a few European and Mid-east countries.  I’ve done epic road trips, camping solo or just finding the first available roach motel.

Along the way, I found a need to express my creative side and got into photography, stained glass and woodworking. I’m also a self-taught mechanic. Since I turned 18, I never have been one to sit still. I’m not into playing video games, getting caught up in TV shows or movies or playing fantasy games. I will admit that since the advent of the DVR, I am addicted to the Walking Dead but I’ve probably only caught four or five episodes when they actually aired.

I now have a large group of extended friends. I’ve forced myself to meet people and share the awesome sights I have seen. I love hearing their stories and getting different points of view. Sometimes, the people themselves are sights to be seen. The second half of my life so far has been amazing but I have recently found myself stuck in a rut.

I became a first-time father at 40 years old and now that my kid has just turned three, I found she has an adventurous spirit that I want to foster. I need to get fit again and make sure I’m there with her to encourage her to experience life. I don’t have any outstanding memories of my childhood and worked incredibly hard to make up for it. My wife has grandiose stories of when she was a kid. We’ve been together 11 years and we share the zest for adventure. I want my daughter to be like her…spectacular and well rounded. I’d rather be there to see the look of wonder as she experiences new things and I can’t if I’m too out of shape, too tired and sitting on the couch.

So now that I’m here, I’ve posted my goals in level 1 and started a battle log but I don’t think I’ll be coming up with any wild fantasy stories. And, I probably won’t understand 90% of the names and references that people are using. But I’m committed to the challenge and I’ll continue to update my battle log as time goes by.

I've always felt that being a nerd was more about being passionate about something, anything, and not afraid to show that passion.  It sounds like you have a lot of things to be passionate about.  :)  Don't worry if you don't get a reference or don't understand something.  There are so many overlapping interests on this site, no once could know them all.  Just do your thing, and you'll probably find someone who does something similar, or at least appreciates what you do.

Level 0 Adventurer

(STR) 0  -  (DEX) 0  -  (STA) 0  -  (CON) 0  -  (WIS) 0  -  (CHA) 0

Madmax, you're not alone. I've never been a gamer, so all of the roleplaying stuff kind of makes my head spin. I'm kind of a nerd in other ways. But I like the atmosphere here a lot more than I have in other, more traditional health and fitness communities. I'm new here, and haven't done an intro, but I am kind of looking forward to utilizing sort of a game mindset when it comes to the changes that I want to make in my own life. Not ready for a challenge yet, but I just joined the Academy. I think I'm going to make up my own character, my own stats, and my own goal lists that will "level me up." These will be the habits that I want to incorporate into my own life. I may not be able to participate in the guilds, but I can't think of a better way to become really engaged with the changes that I'm trying to make in a really fun way. 

"Life is Forever Tries" - Glennon Melton Doyle

My Current Mantra: These little changes WILL add up. There WILL be a tipping point. I just have to be patient. 

I've always felt that being a nerd was more about being passionate about something, anything, and not afraid to show that passion.  It sounds like you have a lot of things to be passionate about.   :)  Don't worry if you don't get a reference or don't understand something.  There are so many overlapping interests on this site, no once could know them all.  Just do your thing, and you'll probably find someone who does something similar, or at least appreciates what you do.

Concurred. Jocks are really just sports geeks, for example.

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.

One attribute that remains the same through all of us Nerds, is we love to learn and you sir sound like you fit the bill so don't worry about not getting the references. (psst I don't get most LoTR or Harry Potter ones either as I've never seen the films or read the books)

So on another note, how many tats ya got man? I have a few small ones but I'm debating quarter sleeves, though my future career as an educator might not be too accepting. 

Welcome to the rebellion madmax79! Link us up to your challenge thread and/or battle log and we can give you feedback. 

Extra note: If you need someone to hold you accountable me and my buddy Beaucastle are always looking for teammates!

• Like 1

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

So on another note, how many tats ya got man? I have a few small ones but I'm debating quarter sleeves, though my future career as an educator might not be too accepting. 

Extra note: If you need someone to hold you accountable me and my buddy Beaucastle are always looking for teammates!

I'm currently between 10 and 12 tats depending on how you count then because 3 merged into a half sleeve. As long as you keep then under the short sleeve shirt zone, you should be good.

And, yes I wouldn't mind being accountable to someone other than myself. Most of my close friends are in pretty good shape and don't get that I have to work into this a little slower then they think I should. One caught me after a workout a few days ago and asked if that was all I was going to do and I was freakin exhausted.

Ha wow. Yeah I know that feeling; all of my friends are Marines so they train pretty hard-core and aren't fans of the beginner workout.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

ohhhhhhhhh...tats...now THERE is something I can geek out about  :joyous:  (16 here, and counting!)

I'm not much on the roll play but am into computers, however not so much gaming (I have 3 teenage boys to leave that to), going to school for my masters in accounting (can't get much nerdier than that!) 

Don't worry about being 'slow'...hate to be cliche but slow and steady wins the race, I have a tendency to want to do it all then burn out in a week or two and give up...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

See...I KNEW  you were NERD enough to be here  :joyous:

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda