Forums are back in action! ×

22-year-old guy somewhere from Europe here, hello :)

I'll get the shocking facts out of the way first: 1,86 m / 6'1" and 127 kg / 280 lb ... Yaha, I know. But this is about to change or, rather, is already in the process. I sort of stumbled on this website and community last night and it kept me awake until 2am reading all sorts of articles and blog posts. I love the overall tone and being a nerd I feel right at home. Although I have to admit I am still a bit confused about everything, especially in these forums. (Challenges, levels, guilds ...? But I will read into that.) Nonetheless I though I'd sign up and introduce myself and become an active member.

My story in short: I was a chubby but happy kid who loved to eat. Then puberty hit and I bloated up, mainly on account of problems in my head and struggles with acceptance and anxiety. I went through the usual diet-rollercoaster and ended up weighing 290 lb in the summer of 2012. But then I moved temporarily for 5 months and something went click in my mind. During those 5 months I managed to lose 60 lb, although I was barely eating anything and not getting the nutrition I needed. And then, once those 5 months were over I went back to old habits and now I'm back at 280 lb and unhappier with myself than ever.

My battle plan: I want to get back to that mindset I had when I lost 60 lb, but this time in a healthy way. Over the last couple of weeks I really begun questioning what I actually eat and put into my body, and I spent hours and hours reading and building a knowledge about how the human body works and how to lead a healthy and fit life. Now I only need to turn that knowledge into action! I've been vegetarian for nearly 8 years now (yeah, fat vegetarians exist) and I recently overhauled my whole diet and went from unhealthy-vegetarian to healthy-and-balanced-vegan, and so far I'm very happy and successful with it. This gave me a huge boost in motivation and I already feel changes in my health and weight.

Next chapter: I need to incorporate a workout/fitness routine into my lifestyle. I am still a bit lost on that subject and hope to find tips and support here. I love the gamified approach on this website and I am ready to level up my life!

Welcome to the rebellion, Archaeopteryx!

So, you want to go from a dinosaur to an eagle? ;) (I did not have to check wikipedia to come up with that joke. Why would you think that?)

Anyway, to answer your queries: The classes, challenges and levels are mostly for fun for and bragging. :) You can check the class subforum for a more detailed explanation, but here is a basic breakdown:

Adventurers: newcomers guild!

Warriors: pumping iron in all its forms

Rangers: doing a bit of everything.

Monks: martial arts of all kinds

Assassins: bodyweight training, parkour

Druids: Yoga, Tai Chi, Meditation. Spiritual stuff.

Scouts: Endurance and speed training. Running, biking, swimming.

Join one, non or several as you wish. The challenges are basically a way to track progress over a six week period. After a challenge, you level up and distribute points to your attributes depending on what you did during your challenge. It's all explained here.

Now, to business. :)

We have plenty of vegans here, including the amazing CitizenKade who is a chef! Definitely look him up if you need ideas! As for workouts, is there anything that interests you particularly? If there a certain goal you want to achieve? That can help you figure out what kind of training you need.

In any case, here are some resources from the NF site. If you need anything else, just ask. Someone will have the answer or point out someone who does.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thank you, SilverRapier!

That's right ;)

Thank you very much for your explanations. Can be confusing at first but now that I've browsed the forums some more it becomes much clearer. I love it here! :)

Glad to hear that there are fellow vegans here. As for workouts and goals - weight loss is definitely my first and main focus. Anything in particular that you could recommend? I really like the idea of body weight exercises, since I don't really like going to the gym. After reading a bit I think I am going to start with the Beginner Body Weight Routine on NF. Later on I would definitely like to explore different kinds of workouts.

• Like 1

If weight loss is your main goal, diet is your target. 80-90% of your success right there! (according to Steve, anyway. I think he is right.)

Working out will only help so much. The BBWW (beginner bodyweight workout) is great and a good place to start regardless of your goals. 

Get to it! :)

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Just wanted to welcome you to the rebellion, I see you're in good hands as Silver has pointed you in all the right directions ;)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda