Forums are back in action! ×

So I guess I should say hello..

Hi, my name is Tim,

I'm 23, from the UK and just getting towards the end of my final year at university. I used to be in good shape at school and on the rugby team (though definitely not a "rugby lad" - people in the UK will understand!) but I have let it slip a little. I took two years out before starting my course to travel the world - I hitchhiked around europe, taught English in India for 6 months and ended up living on a tropical island in Australia for a year. it was incredible, but my fitness definitely went on the back burner. I started smoking and was out drinking most nights - not the most conducive route to keeping in shape.

I started Uni and picked up a few outdoor exploits again, I blagged my way onto a crew of a yacht and started racing, I bought a kayak and began hitting some white-water... sounds like I ought to be in good shape, yeah?

Unfortunately not. I am not a big guy, (except when I was five and was the short fat kid that all the other kids at school were scared would trip and fall on them - a true and emotionally scarring story lol) I am however unfortunately the typical tall and lanky, little-bit-too-skinny-for-his-own-good hardgainer. What's more is whilst I have managed to do those things above the rest of the time I am pretty darn lazy. My downtime is hours of binge watching TV, probably too much drinking and trying to finally complete Sonic for the first time since I was 14 on my prized Sega Megadrive...

So why am I here?

Well, with the end of my university coming up I am looking forward to the next big step - I want that next big adventure! the plan is therefore to join the Army, as you might tell from the above I love adventure, I have seen a lot of my friends go down this route and it is where I want to be, please don't judge me if you are not a fan of the military.. I want to get into good all-round shape to give myself the best opportunity to succeed at this.

I know I can do it, providing I don't give in to my natural slacker, ADHD-y side putting it off until it never happens, that's why I have joined this community to get a bit of support, with a new gym card in my pocket and plan to start the rest of my life. I know it's gonna be an effort but I'm here now and that's another step in the right direction.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for reading! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion! Good luck with your goals :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Welcome aboard Tim!

Extremely jealous of your gap year, it sounds amazing. Hats off to you for signing up as well, I was very close to applying for Sandhurst at one point and although things changed, it's a brilliant opportunity so I wish you all the best with it :)

There's a great community here so make sure you keep dropping in to give updates and feel free to drop into the chat room to ask any questions/just to have a chat.

Good luck :)