Forums are back in action! ×

Library ghost seeks corporeal reality

Hi All,

I’m a 31 year old literature student working on my PhD, so I spend a lot of time sitting and reading. I’m also sometimes a video game shut-in, though no time for that during the term, and a loyal devotee to many webcomics.

I’ve been perusing this website for quite a while, getting geared up to make some entertaining changes. I’m pretty much an elf, I think (6’2â€, ectomorph), and I’m in lousy shape: the three flights of stairs to my office leave me winded, I’ve constantly got a sore neck from craning over a book, and I don’t have much energy for anything other than school.  

I’m hoping to use my first six week challenge to work up to biking to school everyday, since it’s only about 3 miles away (uphill!), and parking to take the shuttle to campus sucks up about 45 minutes of my day, everyday of the week.  Another goal, perhaps for later, is to get better at body weight workouts – I haven’t been able to do lunges without hurting my knees at this point, but I’ve been getting through about 2 sets of squats. I’d like to work up to three sets and train to do a pull up (which sounds unimaginable to me, since I can’t do a complete push up, even on my knees).  I’m also a great swimmer and like to run, but I can’t run very often just yet without my hips hurting, so I’m hoping to get started with barefoot running sometime.

Here is what I’m bringing to the table: Because I’m so tall, I have back trouble from living among shorter people, looking down to talk to them, sitting in their tiny desks, hunching over their little countertops. However, I stretch. A lot. Daily or a few times a day.  I also meditate pretty often because life is hard, and since I’m sort of lazy and refuse to do what isn’t fun, I’ve put a lot of thought into practical approaches to meditation.  I know how to cook and already eat pretty well, but I am an impoverished student right now and have chosen to use that as motivation to start cooking most of my meals at home.

That’s the short version. Happy Valentine’s Day/ Friday.

Djinn

Djinn

Amazonian Sage * Warrior

Str1  Dex2  Sta2  Con3  Wis6  Cha6

Battle Log

Welcome to the rebellion! Sounds like some good goals you have mapped out, and you're definitely in the right place to plan the route to reach them :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Hail Djinn!

Elf?  Are you a night elf by chance?  Just kidding!  Seriously though I look forward to hearing your trials and tribulations on your journey and encouraging you.  I will pass a little encouragement your way right now.  What ever exercise you start, just working at it a little at a time.  Hit a plateau? That's okay, just rest for a few moments and do a couple more.  Just keep at it until you meet your goal.  Also important, listen to your body.  If your muscles feel like jelly after an exercise, stop and do something else or rest.  I hope that helps you!  Good journey friend!

Take a deep breath, center, LEAP!

Thanks, All!

I *might* be a night elf, Seeker. The hight is spot on and I do have white hair right now. I will take your advice, keep it in mind when I'm struggling with that third pushup. Thanks for the complement, Calen, I'm hoping the good base I've built will make it easier to take the little steps Seeker suggests.

I'm not sure what guild I belong in, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd be interested to hear it!

• Like 1

Djinn

Amazonian Sage * Warrior

Battle Log

Hello, it's nice to meet you! I'm happy there are more academically-obsessed souls to be found here. My studies had also kept me from doing anything with my body for a long time, but since I found this site a couple of days ago I've been feeling much better - I finally have motivation and some knowledge of the subject, and the people around here are extremely supportive and helpful. I hope you'll get in your dream shape soon, and of course welcome to the community!

• Like 1

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Words have power.

Second Challenge Rebel (Assassin)
Current Challenge: Assassin's Quest - Igi's Journey II

[Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2 ]

Hi Djinn!

I just joined myself, and I looked at your post because I liked the literature reference. I just wanted to say that, as for lunges, they usually don't hurt your knees if you make sure that your knee never goes over the top of your toe (much like with squats). So step forward, but don't lean forward, and squat straight down. That might help! I like to lunge up stairs (mostly because I'm lazy and want to get home quicker). I'm jealous that you 1) are great at swimming, and 2) get to read literature all day. Lucky! What are you looking to do with your literature degree?

(oh, also: I hate unsolicited opinions myself, so if the squat 411 irritates you, I apologize. Just thought it might help)

Good luck!

Hi Striving,

No worries on the lunge advice - I lunge up stairs too, and never thought of that as a viable substitute! That doesn't hurt, so it's probably something to do with form after all.

I'm going to teach with my degree, since explaining difficult ideas is my forte.

Good luck to you too!

Djinn

Amazonian Sage * Warrior

Battle Log