Forums are back in action! ×

Lurker speaks, er, types

Hello all,

I've never been really active, grew up playing video games and nomming lots and lots of home-baked goods. I swam some during high school and that steadied my weight during that time, but I didn't lose any. After that, I got up to 190 lbs. at my 5'3" height while I still lived at home. That changed when I moved out. Because I'm so frugal, I didn't buy a lot of food and I'm pretty sure I wasn't getting adequate nutrition either. I mostly subsisted on PB sandwiches, cereal, and Wendy's dollar menu while at college and ended up dropping to 150. After, I ended up getting a job that kept me on my feet so I stayed at 150 lbs. for some years.

My boyfriend is a vegetarian and more health conscious than me and he has slowly changed my diet for the better. Whole wheat bread/pasta vs. white. Eating more fruits and vegetables. I still ate crud, (cookies and ice cream are vegetarian too!) but I was getting used to eating more wholesome foods. More recently, I read Born to Run, so I actually started running (slowly) last summer. I read a bit of some other book (don't remember the name) that was about how sugar was terrible for you. After doing some more research on that topic, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't fat that is the worst for you, it's easily accessible sugar. (And I really like how this site seems to support that.) So I've tried to reduce the amount of white flour and sugar I consume and I've dropped to 130. About a month ago, I read Younger Next Year, which while I disagreed with some of the science in it, led me to looking more into strength training, which led me here.

I started the Beginner bodyweight routine about 4 weeks ago and am now thinking of changing some of my runs into HIIT sessions. My main goal is to live a long and healthy life and properly take care of this machine I reside in during that time. More immediatly, I want to get rid of some flab around my midsection that I'm not sure is fat or just loose rolls of skin leftover from the past. I've become more inspired by the idea of actually being able to DO anything I want. Climb that tree, no prob. That mountain over there, piece of cake. Lick my elbow? I'm really close! I want to be able to run an actual marathon at some point, but am still worried I'll get shotty knees like my mom (they already creak!) and won't be able to. But I think strength training will help with that? I'm not very good at precisely defining my goals, but I know I want to be better at life.

Sorry for rambling a little. I'm normally pretty shy and trying to get better at putting myself out there as well.

• Like 2

Welcome to the rebellion...while licking my elbow is not part of any quest I currently desire to achieve, I can relate to the rest of those goals! :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda