Forums are back in action! ×

So....this is me. Oh, and Tolkien, before anyone asks ;)

Hello, everyone! 

As I am new here, I just thought I'd introduce myself. 

I am a 25 year old American volunteer in Eastern Europe at the moment, and I've been following NerdFitness for at least 6 months now. Although I don't actually play video games (especially not online)(sorry!), I do recall really enjoying SuperMario, Crash Bandicoot and Mortal Kombat when I was younger on the rare occasion I got to play. I am, however, still a nerd. I just love reading instead of games. Classics, literature, scifi, detective stories....honestly anything! 

In any case, I joined this community because I honestly don't think I can keep up my weight loss on my own. I need more accountability, I think, than just I can provide (or even my friends....they always let me cheat)! I am not satisfied with my weight, although most people don't think I'm overweight, and I want to drop 25 lbs more than I want anything else in the world right now (except, of course, for my family to remain healthy and safe). My sister dropped a lot of weight a few years ago after she became vegetarian and started exercising every day, and my cousins recently dropped weight, too, even the one who was always crazy thin, and I feel like the Incredible Hulk in our photos together. I'm sick of making excuses and being so pathetic, but I just find losing weight to be so much harder than succeeding at anything else, mostly because this success depends entirely on the ability to remain conscientiousness every day and every hour of every day on the long-term goals (and not the taste of that cookie). 

Oh, I suppose my love of baking doesn't help, either. ;)

Anyway, I'm (perhaps obviously) looking to lose by changing my diet. I started Tim Ferriss' Slow-Carb diet about a month ago, and I have seen results, which is encouraging, but I worry that I need to do more, or that my attempts will fail, or that I should workout more. I love working out, although it's a little trickier here without a gym or my free-weights, but I'm trying not to workout that much in order to drop the fat before adding muscle. And before anyone tells me that it's possible to do both at once, I realize this, but I think that, for me, the best option will be to lose the weight first. Every other time I've done this, I always did exercise first, and I gain muscle quite quickly, which improves my appearance but which does nothing for that little number on the scale. And I want that number gone. Forever. 

So, right, I'll stop jabbering about now. I just want to say that I'm really glad there's a community like this, and I love what I've seen on here. It gives me great comfort to know that I am not the only person declining sugar and cookies daily. 

Hope to meet everyone else soon! Good luck! 

Welcome to the rebellion! I also do not play video games anymore...though I wish I could find a Super Mario 3 again, I did waste way too many hours at that! ;)

Cookies are delicious...in moderation...shouldn't say "never" because that makes them forbidden, and nothing is quite so good as the forbidden...:D

I would encourage you to work out, muscle helps burn fat, I personally ignore the number on the scale and pay more attention to the ones on my tape measure, since a pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat...anyway, maybe focus on some that won't 'bulk you up' quite as much, but still give the fat burning benefits?

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda