Forums are back in action! ×

OHMYGOD BACKSTORY!

Hi guys! my name is Adam Wells, i'm 26 and a member service representatitve at a local credit union (Saint Louis WOOT WOOT!)  Up until my junior year of high school, i was passably athletic. I wrestled, and did a lot of stuff that actually kept me active. Unfortunately, that summer I overdid the weight training and nearly lost my life to a serious case of Rhabdomyalosis.  My CPK (or whatever level it is) that they check for that was so high, they attempted a 100x dillution of the sample, and still couldn't read my levels.  So i spent a week in the hospital developing a massive complex about being in shape and never, EVER wanting to put myself in that situation again.

Naturally, what happened?  Being a nerd, i stopped all the healthy stuff, gave up on being as awesome as I was, suffered a massive bout of depression and anxiety (that i now know is directly tied to that injury - it made me gunshy about everything) that has nearly killed me multiple times.  In six years, i went from a measly 145 lbs to almost 240.  I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but i was always the skinny kid. I love the beach and going outdoors, and now couldn't stand to take my shirt off.  I was really sick of it.

I spent the next four years trying to get my inside under control.  Lots of therapy, medication, and other stuff, and today i've finally got my depression, anxiety, and ADD under control.  Its a great feeling!  I feel great, i love my job, and I'm happy to wake up in the morning. At least, i am until I look in the mirror - at this point, i was 210 lbs, thanks to the medication cutting down on my appetite.

I've spent the last two months not drinking soda, and last month I started work with a personal trainer, but had to stop due to his exorberant prices.  So, that brought me to google, which took me here, and I'm STOKED.

• Like 4

Welcome Adam!  Do you have an idea of how you're going to get started with getting back in shape?  Cutting out soda is a great start.

I'm following the stuff in the academy pretty strictly.  The paleo thing will be a bit difficult because i am planning on working up to it. I did do my first attempt at it for lunch today, and wound up with like a quarter pound of turkey, an apple and some carrots... I have an odd feeling i can do better than that.

Otherwise, i'm sticking to my guns on bodyweight and adding in dumbbells. Right now, I don't feel safe (mentally or strength-wise) with the barbells, but that's the goal level to be at in six weeks.

Howdy and welcome! Sounds like you're ready to kick some butt!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Welcome to the rebellion...I had to google what that was but OMG is right! Wow...Good luck on your goals!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Welcome to the rebellion...I had to google what that was but OMG is right! Wow...Good luck on your goals!

The part that REALLY was awful was having a doctor come running in with a bag of iv fluid, tell the nurse to hold you down so he can put it in to you as fast as humanly possible. Into your arm. That can't unbend because your muscles are so tight from being overworked.

I think i woke babies in the maternity ward across the hospital, that's how much it hurt.  I think what actually hurt was the next morning when the doctor came in (i'm still in the ER at this point) and explained that the night previous i was literally on a five-minute death clock.  X_X  I didn't put that part up top because its crazy depressing, and i'm trying to not... y'know. hate things.

• Like 1

I'm sitting here gaping at my screen, jaw down and eyes wide. Holy shit and kudos to you for getting through that. What an experience to have, especially in high school! I definitely see why it'd make you nervous about weights. It's sad to think that some people joke about rhabdomyalosis when it can be so serious. Kudos also for getting a handle on your anxiety and depression. That's not an easy thing to do.

Do you have a goal weight in mind, or a clothing size or body composition you're striving for? Do you track your food at all, or take body measurements/photos? If not, I suggest it! I love going back and looking at my measurement charts, lifting records, and photo progression on days when I feel discouraged.

Oh, and I'm a huge advocate of working out safely. It looks like you're the king of that now!  :smile-new:  Make sure to take rest days and don't hesitate to go see a doctor if you want to make sure a program is okay...especially if you have lingering effects from your experience, or if your body is somehow predisposed to rhabdomyalosis. 

Level 2 Dwarf Assassin | STR 3 DEX 2 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2

Current Challenge: Climb More, Eat Better, Make Music

My Battle Log: Lift Climb Run Farm

Owowowowowowowow, Rhabdo is no joke.  Glad you recovered and glad you decided to get back in shape.  I'm new here as well.  Good luck to you.

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Nobody likes Uncle Rhabdo.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I think if it were me I'd have to find some other way to stay in shape, I'm not the type that lifts anyway but, seriously, I'm in awe of you

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!! Not good man! OuchOuchOuchOuchOuch!

Sounds like you're on the right track in regards to getting back to physical, mental and emotional health. That's a tough journey though... I'm glad you found this place, it's an amazing community, full of inspiring people.

Hope to see you around the boards :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I'm sitting here gaping at my screen, jaw down and eyes wide. Holy shit and kudos to you for getting through that. What an experience to have, especially in high school! I definitely see why it'd make you nervous about weights. It's sad to think that some people joke about rhabdomyalosis when it can be so serious. Kudos also for getting a handle on your anxiety and depression. That's not an easy thing to do.

Do you have a goal weight in mind, or a clothing size or body composition you're striving for? Do you track your food at all, or take body measurements/photos? If not, I suggest it! I love going back and looking at my measurement charts, lifting records, and photo progression on days when I feel discouraged.

Oh, and I'm a huge advocate of working out safely. It looks like you're the king of that now!  :smile-new:  Make sure to take rest days and don't hesitate to go see a doctor if you want to make sure a program is okay...especially if you have lingering effects from your experience, or if your body is somehow predisposed to rhabdomyalosis. 

I kind of got rid o the idea of 'goal weight' and body composition... I'm not really wanting to mess with the whole idea.  What i'm looking for is kind of vague; I want my outsides to look how I feel on the inside.. Which means the kinda chubby, string-beaned arm dude i am now is not representative of what I feel like on the inside.  I have no idea what 'ideal me' looks like.  What i do know is that ideal me is in there somewhere, and its about time other folks saw me the way I see me.  Ironically, the more i think on it, the more it looks like ideal me looks like my scrawny-as-heck 

Owowowowowowowow, Rhabdo is no joke.  Glad you recovered and glad you decided to get back in shape.  I'm new here as well.  Good luck to you.

Thank you.  There are reasons i'm trying to avoid it!

Nobody likes Uncle Rhabdo.

Pretty much!

I think if it were me I'd have to find some other way to stay in shape, I'm not the type that lifts anyway but, seriously, I'm in awe of you

I like lifting.  I also hate being told 'no, you can't do this'.

For sure.  The first time I read about Uncle Rhabdo I was like "I AM NEVER WORKING OUT EVER AGAIN."  Your reaction having actually suffered it is straight up understandable dude.  But glad to have you (still here) on board!

I didn't know what it was until he almost killed me.  But, i'm not scared of it since i know now i'm doing things right.

Eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!! Not good man! OuchOuchOuchOuchOuch!

Sounds like you're on the right track in regards to getting back to physical, mental and emotional health. That's a tough journey though... I'm glad you found this place, it's an amazing community, full of inspiring people.

Hope to see you around the boards :)

Not all the way there yet, but I'm definitely on my way to some semblance of 'awesome.'