Forums are back in action! ×

Too easy of a setup to pass by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

You can change M.A.C. to Minnesotans Against Canada.

Canadians, fuck 'em eh.

Nah, I don't mean that. The Canadians are a lovely people; I just wish they'd keep all this smoke on their side of the border.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Here's my itty-bitty forge.

fe277a59f3cda39b07cd68e795b83c93.jpg

It hooks up to a propane tank. I made it in a metal working class at the local community/ technical college. The next class would have taught me how to bash metal, but I've never made time to take it.

My goal is to make my own set of woodworking tools, - chisels and blades for a set of wooden planes that I'd make. I don't know if the forge will get hot enough for that. Anyway, I'll have to level up a few times before I attempt that.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Saw someone post this on the Nerd Fitness Academy Facebook page and thought it might be a possible project for your Shopsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zzRElnpm7Y

Also what's happened with your sacred kettle bell class? Haven't heard anything about that lately.

That's kind of cool. I'd have to move into a bigger house first; we're all full up.

I used up the groupon and was going to re-up - I enjoyed it and the socializing was good for me - but we had some medical expenses and I didn't want to dump money into it. Also racing on Thursday and KB on Wednesday would make the missus grumpy.

I might go back in the fall.

Speaking of medical expenses did Sloth Girl get her heart murmur checked out?

11411807_10153361129356206_5469324685468

11722264_10153361129381206_4824970163181

Also saw this posted on the NFA Facebook in case you were looking for ideas of what to do with your basement. Put the pictures in the spoilers because I could make them any smaller and didn't want to take up that much space on your thread.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

She had her EKG, but the clinic's cardiologist was on vacation and a floater did it. Now they can't find the report. Hopefully we'll find out the results tomorrow.

I would love to have a bike room and a workout room, but again, I live in a tiny house filled with too much junk that no one will get rid off.

Do you have the night off work? I haven't seen you post this much in a long time.

7/9/15 Thursday

Race Report - I finally got to the venue on time. I took it easy on the warm up; I was still having breathing issues even though I had three different types of antihistamines in my system.

I got a great start for once, but once we went a few meters I petered out and gobs of people passed me. I just couldn't get enough air in to go hard. I lost lots more places every time we went uphill. I held my own on the flats. In the technical single track I was soft pedaling and still putting pressure on the guys in front of me. I finished a sad 41st out of 47.

My big goal for mountain biking this season was to learn how to corner. I'd say I finally figured that out. It's all in the hips. I just need more practice so that its automatic even when I'm tired.

The guy I was going to do the 12 hour race with is out for the season - ligament damage. I'm not sure what I'll do; I don't know anyone else who rides any more. I'm leaning toward 12 hours solo and doing it as a fun run.

The guy I was going to do the 12 hour race with is out for the season - ligament damage. I'm not sure what I'll do; I don't know anyone else who rides any more. I'm leaning toward 12 hours solo and doing it as a fun run.

I don't think my but would survive 12 hours on a bike or I'd volunteer. My massage therapist is a cyclist but does road stuff primarily. i can connect you guys if you want to talk to him.

Also, it just popped in my head but look into the adventure racing community, we have a strong one in our area. The guys who run GearJunkies.com are from here. They tend to hang out at Merlin's Rest a lot. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

It hooks up to a propane tank. I made it in a metal working class at the local community/ technical college. The next class would have taught me how to bash metal, but I've never made time to take it.

My goal is to make my own set of woodworking tools, - chisels and blades for a set of wooden planes that I'd make. I don't know if the forge will get hot enough for that. Anyway, I'll have to level up a few times before I attempt that.

It looks like a nice little forge, lots of insulation. I especially like the wide feet, so many of these forges look so top-heavy.

Good luck on the tools. Once you manage to get that right it will  be a great accomplishment.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

12 hours as a fun run? 

*gulp*

I would have to work up to this point but reading your posts about it make me want to look into getting a bike...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I don't think my but would survive 12 hours on a bike or I'd volunteer. My massage therapist is a cyclist but does road stuff primarily. i can connect you guys if you want to talk to him.

Also, it just popped in my head but look into the adventure racing community, we have a strong one in our area. The guys who run GearJunkies.com are from here. They tend to hang out at Merlin's Rest a lot.

I appreciate that. My buddy offered to find a replacement for me; he knows guys who'd be interested. There's also a couple of forums I could try.

The thing is I just don't want to race with someone I don't know. I've done it before and expectations never line up. Plus you have to camp with a stranger.

It looks like a nice little forge, lots of insulation. I especially like the wide feet, so many of these forges look so top-heavy.

Good luck on the tools. Once you manage to get that right it will be a great accomplishment.

Thanks. I also have a couple of 1/4" steel plates that sit on the legs. It's really stable.

12 hours as a fun run?

*gulp*

I would have to work up to this point but reading your posts about it make me want to look into getting a bike...

You should get a bike.

The more I think about it, the more that seems like too long on a bike. My current thinking is 6 hours solo and take it seriously.

• Like 1

7/10/15 Friday

I went to the city's most rugged trail. I did a lap and bounced all over the trail, I had to walk a bunch of hills, and just generally did terribly.

I sat down in the shade of my car, drank a coke and a muscle milk and contemplated. I considered going home, I considered quitting the sport.

I decided to do another lap at an easy pace and to focus on body positioning. I took two minutes off my best time (1:06). I attribute that to my hips. I had a couple of moments of pride when I rode a couple of downhill features that I've been to timid to try before.

Afterwards I did get ups, presses, and chins.

7/11/15 Saturday

I did an easy ride at an easy trail with my buddy who's doctor told him he couldn't ride this year. ~19 miles in 1:52 for another PR.

Despite the PRs I feel fat and slow these days.

Wow. That's amazing and it was just a matter of getting your head right. I could certainly stand to do better at that.

That's funny you say that, when I'm getting out of my headspace and focusing on technique it's due to your influence. You've changed how I think about my riding.
  • Like 2

It is more the duty of a hard-working to teach the lazy the dignity of labour. 

You should have invited all the neighbors over last night to join you at six. 

• Like 2

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

awesome. Course I'd hate that if it were my neighbor. Weekends, I say 9 or after is polite.  Course, if they were partying the night before and keeping you up, then 6 is very legit.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

That's funny you say that, when I'm getting out of my headspace and focusing on technique it's due to your influence. You've changed how I think about my riding.

That's funny because I feel like I'm constantly failing to get my head right and that hurts me more than any lack of training ever has. I guess I'll have to draw on your positive experience more.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Do you have the night off work? I haven't seen you post this much in a long time.

Yep had work, just happen to finally have some free time around a real computer and there were things that I kept forgetting I wanted to send when I got around a real computer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts the other day when you were having doubts. That and you pushing on to set new PRs is a real cross roads moment. For me it was like watching the moment in Star Wars when Luke Skywalker went into the cave in Dagobah and confronted Vader only to see his own face under the mask. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I'm just thinking that reflecting is a real important part of the process.

Did they ever find the EKG?

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

awesome. Course I'd hate that if it were my neighbor. Weekends, I say 9 or after is polite.  Course, if they were partying the night before and keeping you up, then 6 is very legit.

I'll remember that next time.  I do get kind of bored in the early morning waiting for a respectable time to get started on stuff somethimes.

I have one neighbor who stays up late most nights drinking, but she never bothers us until the next day.

11327222_875119932554282_831048817_n.jpg

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see two NF'ers inspired by each other like that :)

That's funny because I feel like I'm constantly failing to get my head right and that hurts me more than any lack of training ever has. I guess I'll have to draw on your positive experience more.

The mutual admiration society continues.

114.png

Yep had work, just happen to finally have some free time around a real computer and there were things that I kept forgetting I wanted to send when I got around a real computer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts the other day when you were having doubts. That and you pushing on to set new PRs is a real cross roads moment. For me it was like watching the moment in Star Wars when Luke Skywalker went into the cave in Dagobah and confronted Vader only to see his own face under the mask. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I'm just thinking that reflecting is a real important part of the process.

Did they ever find the EKG?

I am always having doubts.  I have a whole slew of negative self-talk I go through whenever I train.  For mountain biking, giving myself permission to go easy and then focusing on a technical aspect is working very well.  Remember, when you enter your own Dark Side Cave, the only things in there are what you bring with you. A profound message that I didn't get the first several times I saw the film.

gduvd.jpg

Not actually related, but I liked it.

My wife spent days on the phone getting the run around. Finally they said, "everything is fine" with no explanation of why she has a murmur.  I'm left dissatisfied with her care, the explanation, and the expense.  I still assume it was a fluke of fluid dynamics.

7/12/15 Sunday - I was too sore achey too walk down the stairs.  I took the day off from training.

7/13/15 Monday - Still very sore and achey.  I took the day off again.  Mountain biking five days in a row seems to be a bit much for me.  I didn't think it would be because I haven't gone out hard and our trails are fairly tepid.  Perhaps I'm too old for this shit.

49381727.jpg

7/14/15 Tuesday I had time for just one lap at my local trail.  I'd have to check to be sure, but I think I took five minutes off my previous fastest lap.  I was focusing on hip steering and looking at the exit of corners.  If I ever get fit I just might be fast.  Still no kettlebells because sore.  I've got to find a way to get those back in.

7397247.jpg?317

In other news we've replaced the modem and I am back on a computer.

• Like 2

Thanks Emma. I was never worried, but it would have been nice if the clinic took it more seriously.

Two days of lazy. I did walk all over tarnation, but nothing else. As I come out of the morning fog I wonder if the fog and lethargy from taking too much Benadryl at night has something to do with it.

My weight has topped 175#, all new weight seems to be flab. Flab seems to track up and down with Kettlebells/ sandbags thrown around. It hasn't helped that Mrs Sloth has been using up all the fruit in the yard by baking me a pie every other day.

I've been trying to get more protein to see if it helps recovery - it's been a carby summer. I've discovered a big coffee with a scoop of plain whey protein, sugar, and cocoa satisfies my need for a mocha. Which is not to say it tastes just as good.

Edit: I'm crabby as Hell today. I'd better get some exercise.

• Like 1