Forums are back in action! ×

I wanna be a superhero!

Recently, my doctor told me if I lost weight and exercised, I could reverse my diabetes, and help my back and knee pain. I joined a gym and made changes to my diet. I have a long way to go. I see my body doesn't like making drastic changes and I have been dealing with weird glucose and insulin spikes. I have been trying to figure out how food and exercise affects my blood sugar. I have to make changes slowly to allow my body time to adjust. I am 5'3 and 170#. I want to get down to a normal BMI. 

I was a kid who was always reading and playing video games. Going outside to play was a punishment. I loved camping and hiking but would never consider going for a walk around the neighborhood. I want to get into hiking again but this chicago winter makes it not the best time to start. I have started to use an app, a zombie run couch to 5k. It is making cardio suck a little less. I look forward to the weather warming up so I can use it outside. 

At the gym, I like resistance training. A trainer got me on a routine using dumb bells and cable machines. My bad back has gotten a lot stronger and feels better. I'm not pain free though. I don't expect exercise to completely fix my back but I want to try. I developed this bad back by having a very sedentary job and I commute 2-4 hours a day. When I get home from work, I would be so achy I just want to sit on the couch and be on my laptop. 

I am here to find support and to give some too. I am here to learn. I am also here because I strive to become a superhero. 

I look forward to starting my first challenge. 

Thanks,

Soli

Level 1 Human Rebel

STR 1 : DEX 1 : STA 1 : CON 2 : WIS 3 : CHA 2

Soli's first challenge

Hi Soli,

So, don't make drastic changes. Make a series of small changes that will add up to a drastic improvement in your health.

My back sucks, too :-/ but my doctor tells me I'd probably be an invalid if I hadn't exercised. Just sayin. Feel free to post your questions here; you'll likely get more responses than you expect. This is a very helpful and supportive group.

Welcome,

Barfly

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Welcome to the rebellion, Soli!

If you are diabetic, you might want to try the paleo diet or something similar. I know that a lot of people here follow it with great results. Read about it here and here.

Good luck with your goals and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Welcome to the rebellion! I second the paleo suggestion, I know I don't miss the sugar crashes after eating :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thank you everyone.

I have seriously been thinking about paleo/primal and am just beginning research. I mentioned it to my partner who does most of the cooking and she doesn't like the sound of it. Heh. But it is something we both need to look into. I have been trying to cut out grain here and there. I really want to get rid of this wheat belly I have been cultivating. Giving up beer will be hard though.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human Rebel

STR 1 : DEX 1 : STA 1 : CON 2 : WIS 3 : CHA 2

Soli's first challenge

Hi Soli

I am also prone to back problems (long in the body, sedentary job, etc.). Since getting serious about fitness a few months ago, they have almost completely disappeared. I do core and stretching exercises every day, and resistance training in the gym three times a week. I also make sure I get up and move around after every hour of sitting at work. I sleep better, move better, and feel unbelievable, it is perhaps my biggest motivator to keep going.

Personally I feel people on this site are a bit too zealous about the whole paleo thing. That said, a lot of the main principles of paleo are good tips for any kind of healthy diet. If you are focusing on eating 'real' food (especially lean meats with plenty of veggies) and minimising sugar, bad fats and heavy carbs you will get great results - paleo or not.

Hard cider is also quite tasty ;) my partner is a beer drinker and said the same thing...she likes the cider and is probably as bad if not worse than me at hunting up recipes for us to try! We are enjoying how much better we feel with this style of eating...and we've gone through about every diet we could find prior to this lol

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda