Forums are back in action! ×

Shield-Maiden seeks to join the Rebellion

Hello all,

I’ve been a lurker here for about a month, debating whether or not to introduce myself or not.  But the time has come that I feel I need a better support system instead of going it alone, so here I am.  I’ll try to keep it brief, so we can all get back to gaming J   

First a bit of history – I have always been a big girl (and being 5’4†made it worse), through middle school, high school and college.  I have a lot of hobbies (gardening, yarn crafts, reading Victorian fiction, probably too many to list that mostly involve sitting L).  I abhorred sports and physical activities because I wasn’t good at them.  I finally had my moment where I decided to change my ways in December.  I was tired of being the big, funny girl instead of a girl who could kick butt in life and look good doing it (like Lara Croft). 

On Jan. 1, 2014 I went to work.  I was actually looking for bodyweight exercise routines when I stumbled across Nerd Fitness, and instantly began to devour everything on the site (I couldn’t resist the gaming references!  I love Mario and Zelda).  Something in my brain just clicked – I realized I needed a plan beyond what I was doing, not just a wish and a prayer.  About a week later I stumbled across Staci’s story.  I was floored, to say the least, how a woman so small (and completely un-body builder looking!) could lift so much weight.  I picked up a barbell a few weeks ago and haven’t looked back.  I track my workouts religiously, but I could improve tracking my body measurements.  As a side note, I’ve also started eating about 90% primal (I still eat Greek yogurt and kefir, so its technically not paleo), and I feel better than I have in a really long time. 

So back to the support system – I live alone, so I don’t have the issues with the family/significant other/roommate resisting change.  If there is junk food in the house, I put it there. Thus, no one will know if I screw up but me.  I don’t want to fall off the wagon.  I’m ready for a change.  So (if you’re still with me), I’m looking for some help from the Nerd Fitness Community to keep going so I don’t fail, and hopefully to make some new fitness-minded friends.

Peace!

• Like 2

Welcome and best of luck!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Welcome to the rebellion! 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Well, you're in the right place :) I just finished my first challenge and it feels great! I found a great resource to be www.marksdailyapple.com . They talk on there of practicing at least 80/20 ratio on your paleo (primal) food intake. I'm probably more 90/10 like you. 

I recommend starting a challenge and going from there. I've done crash diets in the past but never lasted more than a month. Since finishing my first challenge, I feel energized and ready for more. I also don't feel like I'm missing out on the foods I craved in the past. I've been disciplined with eating but I cautiously allow myself a taste of the things I really love once in a while. One of my biggest weaknesses is key lime pie so when we had company over, I made one but only had a sliver instead of a huge slice. The discipline thing may or may not work for you but I feel it allows me just enough flexibility where I still eat right 90% of the time.

Anyway, I wish you great success and I have found a lot of support here!