Forums are back in action! ×

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

13 hours ago, MaeradCase said:
15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think we'd probably have to start with an egg whisk for Annoia. One that's really good at blocking drawers.

And a spatula, blessed be her drawers. ???

Or the Nessie Ladle!

Screenshot_20240104-0804262.png.aff6026d03809ab7136448a7fc10d4d1.png

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

12 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Or the Nessie Ladle!

*gasp* Beautiful and practical! It stands up on its little feets!

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

13 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Or the Nessie Ladle!

54 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Does it come in green?

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50; Ch 51; Intermission VI

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

❤️❤️❤️

(Its neck also extends out of one's soup pot like Nessie gracing their loch)

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Does it come in green?

Hmm... I think so? I'd have to double-check

• Like 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

On 1/2/2024 at 2:45 PM, MaeradCase said:

I had forgotten about that! Is it going well?

So far so good. Grant by Ron Chernow was really good. It was one of those books that was more than just "Here's a bunch of facts about a person." It got into Grant's struggles with alcoholism and also showed an interesting take on how everything played out after the Civil War ended.

• Wow 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Just finished my first book of the year, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. Don't remember where I discovered it, but it was on my want to read shelf and my library and it available. Was not expecting it to make me cry, but it did. A good first book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

Don't know that book, but am genuinely curious about where the Macbeth reference comes in to play.

• Like 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:51 AM, The Most Loathed said:

My wife and I are both reading The Power Broker along with Roman Mars and Elliot Kalan on 99% Invisible. It's a year long project, about 100 pages per month. I'll dip in and out of this book on pace with the podcast. 

Was scrolling back through and noticed that you had this book. Robert Caro is good. I'm on Master of the Senate (3rd book in his series on Lyndon Johnson) right now and am loving it. What do you think about the book so far?

• That's Metal 1

Finally managed to put a small list of stuff I have read and plan to read this year out on Goodreads. Here is my link for anyone who may want to be friends. 

Goodreads link

Read Friends Tv GIF

• Like 3

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

On 1/6/2024 at 4:28 PM, KeysMcGee said:

Don't know that book, but am genuinely curious about where the Macbeth reference comes in to play.

One of the characters has a passion for theater in general, and Shakespeare in particular, so he makes lots of references throughout the book. The Tomorrow soliloquy was very well used, in my opinion. It's one of the parts that made me cry. 

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

21 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Finally managed to put a small list of stuff I have read and plan to read this year out on Goodreads. Here is my link for anyone who may want to be friends. 

Goodreads link

Read Friends Tv GIF

Just sent you a request.

• Like 1

Finished The Adventure Zone vol 1 over the weekend. Still think I read it too fast and should work on slowing down in graphic novels to really take in all the visual details. But I liked it. The podcast is going on my list for my lunchtime walks.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

37 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Finished The Adventure Zone vol 1 over the weekend. Still think I read it too fast and should work on slowing down in graphic novels to really take in all the visual details. But I liked it. The podcast is going on my list for my lunchtime walks.

Love both the stream and the graphic novels of the Bureau of Balance! ?

I finished Snuff this morning with focused intent. Well done story line, and I'm thinking of looking into other Pterry books after I indulge in rereading some of my favorites and maybe peeking in new books. ?

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Finished Arbiter of Worlds last night. It is touted as a great book on game-mastering, but I felt rather meh about it. It's very short, which I appreciate in light of all the massive tomes that are RPG rulesets, but I think it could have benefited from a bit of expansion. For new GMs, I think he was trying not to overwhelm them with information, but I think I would have needed more explanation to follow him if I wasn't already familiar with TTRPGs. And for experienced GMs, if you agree with him it's a nice little confirmation bias, but if you don't, he doesn't expound on any of his arguments, just states them like facts and moves on. He does mention different times that if you don't agree with him that's fine, there's all different ways to play, which is true and I appreciate him acknowledging, but presumably you are reading this book because you are willing to be persuaded on some of the issues he raises, and then he puts no effort into persuading you.

Anyways, a couple good finds in there and short enough it's worth mining for them, but all in all, not impressed.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 8:52 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Which are your favourites?

Well, I got the Winternight trilogy in hardcover as a Christmas present, so I might indulge in those. But at work, I might revisit Naomi Novik for Spinning Silver or Mercedes Lackey for Firebird to get some of the middle of winter vibes via eBook. I've been in a dead end all morning and want to put my hands on something I know I want to read, but have not been sure what I'm hungry for, so narrowing it down to one of three books is good. Thanks for prompting this thinking moment. ?

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

On 1/6/2024 at 1:53 PM, Artemis Prime said:

Just finished my first book of the year, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. Don't remember where I discovered it, but it was on my want to read shelf and my library and it available. Was not expecting it to make me cry, but it did. A good first book.

I loved that one.  I have a coworker that I'll swap book reccs with once in a while, and he not only highly recommended this one but brought in his copy for me to borrow. I love my job. 

On 1/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Sepherina said:

Goodreads link

I just sent a request (I'm c. s. rambo over there) 

My favorite son bought me the first three Interview with a Vampire books for Christmas. He isn't always my favorite son,  the job rotates, but in that moment he was. I'm well into the first book now. I read them in high school but don't remember much, and I couldn't force myself to watch Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt make hash of it so it's kind of all new to me again. 

For long-commute audiobooks I'm still working through the Crow  Investigations series, and still mostly enjoying it despite (and sometimes because of)  the weird similarities to Rivers of  London. They aren't as good as RoL but still fun for light entertainment if you can binge read through 'em. Not recommended if you like to read just one of a series and then go off and do other things and get back to it. Sarah Painter likes cliffhangers. Not every book ends in one, but enough that it would annoy me if I didn't already have the next one cued up. 

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Finished The Colorado Kid. It felt like old SK, akin to Green Mile or Different Seasons. Like old SK, ie Tommyknockers or It, I can't say it stuck the landing. I enjoyed it up until the rather lackluster ending.

Now I'm reading Monster by A Lee Martinez and it's v v funny so far. Think Christopher Moore without getting gross or over-wrought.

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

The next Rivers of London novella has been announced. It's being released in September, and it looks like a very Wodehouse-influenced narrator in a 1920s New York adventure for Nightingale amidst the Harlem jazz clubs.

Happy Stormy Weather GIF by Turner Classic Movies

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23