Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for direction

Hey there! I actually found this place back in December, and I was thrilled! I started working on my plan to be strong, to lift heavy things and put them down again. I was psyched to become my own superhero!

At the end of January, I hit a snag. I have had problems with sciatica for awhile, and I was hoping the strength training and resulting weight loss would solve that problem. Turns out that I have a bulging disc, and the doc didn't give me a lot of hope for anything outside of surgery. This came as a shock, as I thought that I was there to be put on a physical therapy regimen. I was supposed to get a cortisone shot in my spine a couple of days ago, but I canceled the appointment for various reasons. Reason one, fear. I had an epidural when I had my daughter, and my spine hurt in that spot for a year afterward. Reason two, doubt. Is this really the only thing I can do?

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go for a second opinion. Is there anyone here who is training with back issues? I don't want to make it worse, but I also don't want my muscles to atrophy while I do nothing. I can't find two pieces of advice that agree with one another anywhere online.

So that's my introduction, by way of sob story. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and participating in this awesome community.

Welcome to the rebellion!

I had issues with that after my kids were born, as well as herniated disks in my neck after a car wreck and subsequent nerve damage because of that....I refuse to have surgery until I absolutely have to! I have had good luck with a chiropractor, as well as some acupuncture...it's worth a try! 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Welcome to the Rebellion!

I can't help much with back issues as I am lucky enough to not have any yet, but I'm sure you came to a great place for some help! Lots of great people here with all sorts of experiences!

Keep us updated on progress, solutions and whatever else you feel like sharing!

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

Hi there! My wife has had some pretty major issues with her sciatica as well. The stretches really do work for her. It was/is a pain in the butt to get her to do them, but when she does them regularly, she feels so much better. Another thing that helped her a lot was doing a calisthenic style workout. The more she strengthened her core, the better she felt. Based on your description, she has the exact same issues... and it worked for her. Maybe try to focus on stretching and bodyweight exercises for now. I really think it's possible to avoid surgery, and I wish you the best of luck.

Level 3 Half-Elf Assassin

STR= 9.5  DEX= 14  STA=4  CON=3  WIS=3  CHA=2

Current Challenge

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're right."  ~Henry Ford

Welcome to the rebellion, Illuminaughty!

Well, none of us can give you a diagnosis over the internet, so I would suggest you get a second opinion from another doctor or from a physiotherapist. Your back is not something you want to mess around with.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I have to concur, if you are looking for a second opinion - see a chiropractor.  If anyone is going to know how to correct an issue like that without going under the knife, it's a good chiropractor.  I see one every 6 weeks or so myself, due to a rotation of vertebrae in my spine.  It would occasionally pinch a nerve and keep me from using my left leg for a bit but now that I've been getting treatment on it, I've not had that happen again.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I would avoid surgery, if I could.

My wife and I have similar problems. Hers is pretty severe and prevents her from doing most exercise, but through trial and error has figured out a routine that doesn't hurt to do/doesn't hurt afterwards. For example, lunges kill her but walking up and down stairs is fine, even holding weights.

You just have to figure out what works for you, and find a good orthopedist.

p.s. A cortisone shot leaves her feeling great for 12-18 months.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...