Forums are back in action! ×

New to NF and kind of overwhelmed

Hello! 

I guess the plus side of having a cold is that I've spent the last few days going through the NF site trying to get a handle on things. With the rebellion, the academy, quests and challenges, I'm not quite sure where to begin, but the introduction page seems like a nice solid starting point.

I think one of my biggest problems when I try to get healthy is that I'm basically going at it alone. I'm a card-carrying introvert, so I never thought it was a problem, but when I start to trail off, there's not really anyone to encourage me to stay the course. I also have that little voice saying "What's the point in trying if I'm just going to fail again." So I like what I've been seeing on NF as far as the community and encouraging the little changes first and building up. Plus I'm a huge nerd, so that angle makes this easier for me to latch on to as well. :)

My long-term goals are to lose weight and be more active. I have a desk job and work from home, so it's really easy for me to be a hermit, which is not good for me. I'm starting off by trying to walk a little every day and eating "paleo-ish" for my breakfast and snacks. Eventually I want to start hiking and I'm looking forward to strength-training again since I discovered that I really enjoyed it the last time I worked out regularly.

So yeah, that's me. Hope to see you around!

• Like 8

"There's sadness in the world, sure. But I choose to see the joy. The miracle of life is that we live, and the responsibility of living is that we try to make the world a little better."

Twitch's First Challenge

Sounds like you will fit in nicely around here.  There is a ton of support.  The more you put into the community, the more you get out of it.  Your goals sound pretty awesome too.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Hi there! Welcome! 

I know where you're coming from work wise - I spend 90% of my time in my house! For a long time I was doing body weight workouts at home, but recently started at a gym for access to different equipment, and honestly, to get out of the house for a little bit.

There's lots of stuff you can do solo if that's what you prefer, and NF is filled with awesome people who are happy to help if you have any questions or need motivation.

Best of luck and hope to see you around the boards!

Introverts unite! (online only, skype optional)

I’m training by myself, as well.  For me, I’m not so much an introvert as I’m a dysfunctional veteran and don’t play well with others.  :P

In all seriousness, when you’re on the internet, you’re never alone.  I’ve found myself trying to justify why I shouldn’t exercise a couple of times, but talking myself out of it because it would mean a hole in my Battle Log.  I keep honest because of the rest of the nerds around here.

The secret for me is to do one thing at a time.  Start here with your introduction.  After that, lurk around and pick up on what others are doing.  Next, move to the Academy (if you’re doing it).  Then, start a Battle Log.

Be comfortable.  Work at your own pace.  Move ahead.

• Like 2

I have to agree that it's quite overwhelming to start (I have been working on getting in shape since the start of the year, but have only recently joined NF), but once I started to break it down into smaller chunks, I was able to get some traction.

Even though I've heard (and ignored) it a million times, it's great to just start with a reasonable, concrete goal. For me, it's a set number of pounds lost by the end of the year. In your case, it could be to schedule a hike every other month (and then increase it as you reach your goals). When I didn't have a concrete goal, I tended to be less dedicated toward the cause.

There are plenty of good ways to do things without going to a gym (as it can be quite intimidating, depending on the gym) as I'm finding out through this program. Also, instead of calling it a "failure," try calling it a "stumbling block." As long as you get back up and return to the effort, it's not a failure (something I needed to tell myself after a 6-month workout haitus last year).

Best of luck, and may the journey be the reward!

• Like 1

(Re)training since January 2016; member since March 2016.

Starting weight: 290; current weight: 254.8; goal weight (December 2016): 220

Hi! I'm new here too. It is a little overwhelming but I'm made my decision to not get scared away. Everyone seems so nice here. I've browsed the forums before and just recently began the read Steve's book and it is what is really pushing me to level up my life.

I look forward to talking with you and all the other fellow nerds.

• Like 1

Hi there! A great place to dive in is in the 4 week challenges! You can align your goals there with anything you are currently working on, and there are even some sample challenge ideas/formats that you can just straight up steal in case you need some ideas.  It's a great way to work on your habits and being working towards your goals.  Everyone here is really supportive and like Shello said, you get what you put in (and then some). So welcome aboard and hope to see you around!

51 minutes ago, Rin Asami said:

I can't believe how helpful the levelupyourlife site is and putting in all down on quest logs. Writing it down never worked for me before but it feels so different when I put it all in a gaming perspective and I get pumped just reading the book!

I know really! And gaming terms and dynamics make so much more sense :D 

Apprentice of Intent .  Lvl X Druidu Bronze IV

Epic Quest | Battle Log | Current Challenge

' Who has the time to stall reaching hus highest potential? Death tells me "I'm a fickle thing, and I see you." ' •Aerisand