Forums are back in action! ×

Skinny nerd ready for a change

Hey there NerdFitness team. I am brand new to the community and I am ready to level up my life. A little about my life to start: I am 30 years old and only weigh 135 lbs. I am in the Navy and I will be reporting to Bahrain for a year which is going to be fun (a lot of time to focus on my goals and myself) but will also suck (I will be away from my two daughters the whole time). My goal for NerdFitness is to weigh 160 lbs and be in great shape. I want to make it during my time in Bahrain. I am pretty new to working out. I go to the gym but I pretty much just wonder around doing whatever workout looks good at the time with no real direction. I have looked at a lot of the items they have here and I am thinking of going to use the "beginners guide to working out" and the "skinny nerds guide" for stater points. I am open to anyone who is willing to give me advice and assistance with my goals and I hope to make some friends as well.

• Like 1

Hey! Welcome to the Rebellion. That's a bummer that you'll have to be away from your daughters for so long, but really cool that you can put a positive spin on it and try to focus on personal goals in the interim. I'm definitely not an expert in gains, but we've got a pretty big portion of the community dedicated to the Warriors guild and they could probably give you some good advice on how you're working out and what/how you should be eating to best supplement muscle growth. If you decide to sign up for a challenge, you'll have to hit the Level 1 group for your first one, but you can definitely use some of the material from those guides to get yourself going and find a direction you want to head in. Do you know if you're looking more towards body weight exercise or weighlifting/powerlifting?

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Welcome to the rebellion, I also have no real advice since gaining is not an issue for me (none of it healthy!) but just wanted to say hi :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thank you all for the welcome. I was reading the RPG IRL and I am thinking that what I want to be is a Ranger. I have the body of a elf already and who makes better rangers then elfs? As for what I am going for is body weight exercise. I think that body weigt exercise would be best with some weigt training thrown in. I plan on starting next week once I get to Bahrain. Thanks for the heads up with the level one groups. I will look into them and see what catches my eye. Thank you all again for the welcome and I will keep you all posted.

Hail SkinnySailor!  I know what it is like being away from family for a long period of time.  I think you are doing the right thing by focusing on improving your fitness!  Be sure to check out the resources here and don't be afraid to ask for tips!  I look forward to hearing of your fitness achievements!

Take a deep breath, center, LEAP!

Hey Sailor!  Welcome to the Rebellion!  I feel you on the weight-gain goal.  I'm about 145 now looking to get to 175.  I'm taking it slow, though, because every time I try to cram in 3000+ calories a day, I just gain inches around my gut.

One of my challenge goals last year was to read every blog post on NF, and I have some good tips for you!

For staying/getting in shape while away from home

The beginner's guide for building muscle

Beginner's guide to getting bigger

There's also a guy on the boards here named Waldo who has had great success building muscle with mostly bodyweight exercises.  He also has a blog:

http://strengthunbound.com/

And good luck in Bahrain!  I have a buddy who's a Navy helo pilot that just headed over there for 6 months.  He has two daughters, too.  So you're not alone!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week