Forums are back in action! ×

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Anyway, I watched a little TV.  I saw a few Big Bang Theory episodes.  I know of the show, but I don’t think I’ve seen a full episode before. I’m assuming the ones I saw were after it jumped the shark. I also saw a couple episodes of Xena Warrior Princess.

Personally I don't like BBT all that much (the dvd shop bought all the series till series 10), but Brandt and the boys love it. He said they could watch it, while to me it has too many adult references in which I've had to jump around and think very hard how to explain at times. Sadly I've never seen any Xena Warrior Princess episodes. I should maybe try to find some on YouTube.

Hope you feel better soon and that the rest day will help.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Ugh, having to go to work sick is one of the worst things in the world, I think.  Maybe you caught something sinister from the slime puddle.  Feel better!!! (Hey since you're home maybe you can watch Maury or something, you know, get on that daytime TV train..............)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

OMG YES MUDDY BIKE PIC!

I LOVE IT!

Great work on the race.   The conditions sound epicly brutal!  Epically.   Brutally epic!  There we go.

Sorry the stomach bug got ya, but judging by the pic, you earned a bit of R&R as you recover.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Ugh, hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. I certainly feel better than yesterday. 

14 hours ago, deftona said:

MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN! 

I hope you recover speedily and find something good to watch on TV. Might I suggest Father Ted?

Lol. It’s too cold to be half naked and we’re out of cornflakes. 

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Personally I don't like BBT all that much (the dvd shop bought all the series till series 10), but Brandt and the boys love it. He said they could watch it, while to me it has too many adult references in which I've had to jump around and think very hard how to explain at times. Sadly I've never seen any Xena Warrior Princess episodes. I should maybe try to find some on YouTube.

Hope you feel better soon and that the rest day will help.

I would let Brandt explain if he’s the one to let them watch a show with adult themes.  Do shows come dubbed in Afrikaans or are they closed captioned?  IIRC correctly your boys are still learning English. I think you’d really like Xena.

7 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Feel better soon man!

Thanks brother. 

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like some sort of stomach bug, I hope you heal fast.

It must have been in the vat of terrible taco meat. 

4 hours ago, shaar said:

Ugh, having to go to work sick is one of the worst things in the world, I think.  Maybe you caught something sinister from the slime puddle.  Feel better!!! (Hey since you're home maybe you can watch Maury or something, you know, get on that daytime TV train..............)

I didn’t watch any TV , instead I laid in bed and went through about a million click bait articles. 

2 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Getting better yet?

Xena rocks.

I’m starting to. 

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

OMG YES MUDDY BIKE PIC!

I LOVE IT!

Great work on the race.   The conditions sound epicly brutal!  Epically.   Brutally epic!  There we go.

Sorry the stomach bug got ya, but judging by the pic, you earned a bit of R&R as you recover.

I love when you channel @Shaar and get all hyperbolic.  Thanks, it was indeed epic.  

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Thanks for the support. My last post was probably a bit over dramatic. I always get sick, a lot of germs come through my classroom, and I get vomity every time I get sick.  The dizziness is new, but I’ve been getting shaky all summer. I figure cracking a helmet every three years or so for thirty years will do that to a guy. 

I could have gone in to work, but I was still woozy and sporting a bad belly; it wouldn’t have been fun. 

Today I laid in bed and looked at the internet all morning.  I started feeling guilty for excessive sloth and went to the DMV and renewed my license and got new tabs for the war rig.  It was expensive. I also got a burrito from Chipotle that has stayed down.

Next up, I’ll get the kids from school and deliver them to circus class.  This year Slothboy is doing acrobatics again and Slothgirl is doing globes (balance tricks on giant balls) and Moroccan pyramid (acrobatics while piled up on people’s shoulders).  Then the kids want to go to a pop-up bike park.  

I hope to start fitnessing again tomorrow. Here’s my plan for the next four weeks.

- DDP Yoga as a warm up

- Get Ups

- Shovelglove

- Maybe I’ll also do Trap Bar deadlifts.

I’ll do that M/W/F

- I’ll do some jogging and farmer walking while I walk the dogs. This will be random.

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

excessive sloth

That seems like it might be code for "extra awesomeness"

I was a little worried when you talked about the terrible tacos. You seem pretty open-minded and accepting of all reasonable taco-like products. They were apparently pretty darned bad. Glad you are on the upswing!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Aaugh! Hope you feel better! 

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Jitter Bug is still asking after Circus. She wants to get through this years dance class first, but sound like we will be there next year. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I didn’t watch any TV , instead I laid in bed and went through about a million click bait articles. 

To be fair I feel like this could very well be the "daytime tv" of modern-day times........

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I would let Brandt explain if he’s the one to let them watch a show with adult themes.  Do shows come dubbed in Afrikaans or are they closed captioned?  IIRC correctly your boys are still learning English. I think you’d really like Xena.

He doesn't watch it at the same time as they do. He's usually busy with the cars or watching a racing YouTube video. When he does watch with them, he just doesn't even think about appropriateness for kids. He'll only explain if they specifically ask him about something. I sit behind them, have a clear view of their computer screens and obviously hear what is being said, and react on it. These things bother me a whole lot more than it does him.

The boys watch the show only on audio, no closed captions or subtitles. The boys are learning to read and write English, but they basically speak it fluently, better than Afrikaans actually. They also think in English, thus will do it as their first (home) language. Adam has started to put the subtitles on for some dvds we have, and then try to read with the text. They are basically learning the two languages concurrently which is apparently more difficult than first learning one language and then a second language. We just really didn't have a choice. I stopped with Zulu lessons at the moment, except to remind them how to greet people in Zulu, because three languages at the same time is a bit much.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

I used to Shovelglove!   LOL.    I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my hammer.   I have now been reinspired to do this!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

On September 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM, DrFeelgood said:

That's fighting fire with fire right there.

lol.  My system is finally tuned to consume Chipotle.

On September 18, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Shoveglove is back!

Not quite,but soon.  Soonish...

On September 18, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Keifer said:

Hope you are feeling better. Looks like the crud we have been dealing with here.

Thanks brother.  The back to school crud was extra virulent this year.

On September 18, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Xena said:

That seems like it might be code for "extra awesomeness"

I was a little worried when you talked about the terrible tacos. You seem pretty open-minded and accepting of all reasonable taco-like products. They were apparently pretty darned bad. Glad you are on the upswing!

lol.  I think they were a vat of hormel chili with shredded velvet in uncooked tortilla.  In 30 years this was the first meal I didn't enjoy after an endurance race.  On the plus side it was all-you-can-eat.

On September 18, 2018 at 6:38 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Aaugh! Hope you feel better! 

Thanks.  Considering its been about two weeks, Im fine now.

On September 19, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Jittersthe.Clown said:

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Jitter Bug is still asking after Circus. She wants to get through this years dance class first, but sound like we will be there next year. 

It would be cool to have someone to hang out with while the kids learned their tricks.

On September 19, 2018 at 1:26 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

He doesn't watch it at the same time as they do. He's usually busy with the cars or watching a racing YouTube video. When he does watch with them, he just doesn't even think about appropriateness for kids. He'll only explain if they specifically ask him about something. I sit behind them, have a clear view of their computer screens and obviously hear what is being said, and react on it. These things bother me a whole lot more than it does him.

The boys watch the show only on audio, no closed captions or subtitles. The boys are learning to read and write English, but they basically speak it fluently, better than Afrikaans actually. They also think in English, thus will do it as their first (home) language. Adam has started to put the subtitles on for some dvds we have, and then try to read with the text. They are basically learning the two languages concurrently which is apparently more difficult than first learning one language and then a second language. We just really didn't have a choice. I stopped with Zulu lessons at the moment, except to remind them how to greet people in Zulu, because three languages at the same time is a bit much.

In the long run their language skills will be superior in their home language for the skills learned in the second language.

On September 24, 2018 at 1:10 PM, Starpuck said:

I used to Shovelglove!   LOL.    I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my hammer.   I have now been reinspired to do this!

I had forgotten that.  Thats why I originally followed you way back when I used to confuse you and @starbuck .  You're in a groove with your lifting, but hammers are cheap if you need a finisher.  Besides it'll be handy when you have your own house.

On September 24, 2018 at 10:36 PM, tcw295 said:

Glad to be back, because I read your update and learned about shovelglove, and its kind of amazing. I got a part time job around my apartment complex so this morning I headed into the tool shed and grabbed a hammer and tried it out! Good way to get warm on a cold fall morning!

haha.  spreading the Shovelglove gospel.  You seem to be in a groove too, but its a fun diversion.

On September 26, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Rooks said:

Sloth's thread has the best comments. Hope all is well Sloth.

Thanks brother.  Indeed all is well, but I haven't been fitnessing so I haven't had anything to update.

• Like 5

Criminy.  Its been a long time.  Like I said I haven't been fitnessing.  I purposely took a week off after the race.  I don't think my body needed it, but mentally I needed some time to not be preparing for something.  As it tends to happen, one week bled into another...

I've probably already mentioned this, but I am really happy with how my body is doing.  My back which has plagued me with constant pain for years is near normal.  Its a bit achy in the morning, but probably no more than any 50 year old's.  My belly has stopped trying to kill me.  I'm no longer on a very restrictive diet and can eat just about anything again (although I'm afraid to try deep fried food).  The glasses which get rid of double vision have improved my life immensely.  I think the big change is that I destressed - I finally had a relaxing summer and my classes this year are pretty calm and I can finally teach again.  My I-can-never-be-happy item is that the ringing in my ears has gotten quite a bit louder.

Some updates:

Friday - we went to the back-to-school pow wow.  It was alright.  Then we picked up a foster dog.  I didn't want one yet.  We've been doing this non-stop for four years and I wanted more of a break.  She's nice though.  A papillion  -that may not be spelled correctly.  She's real nice and has decided I'm her human.  I'll try to get a pic posted later.

Saturday - I spent the day trying to catch up with school work.  In the evening a "friend" had a 50th birthday party and we didn't make the cut.  I was like, "well when was the last time we talked with them."  Figuring it was our fault for not putting work into the relationship, but Mrs. Sloth was very upset.  Instead we went to the mall where I bought new sneakers and then to a neighborhood block party with a bunch of bands.  Mrs. Sloth talked to some friends.

For the shoe nerds - I have been wearing New Balance Minimus.  I really like the low drop and the sort of moccasin-like ground feel, but they are slippery when wet.  I went to the Merrill Trail Glove.  Which is also low drop (not as low), but it has a more solid bottom almost like a normal running sneaker.  The jury is still out.

Sunday - we went to the Ren Fest.  A good time was had by all.

This week - school is still going well.  Its a nice group of kids who had decent teachers for the last two years.  The students who have transferred in are upsetting the apple cart a bit, but I think they'll settle in.

Circus is going well. Slothgirl is the star of her globes group - while the other kids are still working on simply balancing, she is zooming back and forth across the room and gets to use the giant ball, she also gets to be the top of the Moroccan pyramid.  She must get her athleticism from Mrs. Sloth, Im still the gawky nerd who gets picked last for sportsball.  Slothboy is taking acrobatics seriously this year and is much improved and he moved up another level in ballet.

I run into our last foster dog occasionally.  She gets frantically happy when she sees me.  It makes me feel bad that we let her get adopted out.

That's more than enough blabbing.  I'll post again if I ever start fitnessing again.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I've probably already mentioned this, but I am really happy with how my body is doing.  My back which has plagued me with constant pain for years is near normal.  Its a bit achy in the morning, but probably no more than any 50 year old's.  My belly has stopped trying to kill me.  I'm no longer on a very restrictive diet and can eat just about anything again (although I'm afraid to try deep fried food).  The glasses which get rid of double vision have improved my life immensely.  I think the big change is that I destressed - I finally had a relaxing summer and my classes this year are pretty calm and I can finally teach again.

This makes me so happy for you.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

38 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had forgotten that.  Thats why I originally followed you way back when I used to confuse you and @starbuck .  You're in a groove with your lifting, but hammers are cheap if you need a finisher.  Besides it'll be handy when you have your own house.

Yes yes!  I was thinking the same thing.   That we met via the Glove!  Hahaha.   And hey, Starbuck is who I modeled my name off of.  My first 4-5 challenges were BSG themed!   And I am wearing Viper pilot digs in my profile pic.   (I really ought to finish watching that series... I left off half way through the final season, sheez!)

Great update!   I agree with Tank on how happy I am for ya that youv'e settled into this place of being. :)     Also I would have NEVER guessed you were anywhere near 50.  Well done sir!  Well done!

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In 30 years this was the first meal I didn't enjoy after an endurance race.  On the plus side it was all-you-can-eat.

Only an endurance athlete (or some kind of refugee) would put those two thoughts together.

Enjoy the butterfly dog :-)

image.png.107a653cbdfbd090b6cb9d02ef7c2f6c.png

wow, it really is the same word (why is that?) and they are so cute!! I love the ears!

image.png.9a2d6052412052177001a9622218008a.png

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016