Forums are back in action! ×

[SPOILERS]Episode VII: The Force Awakens [SPOILERS]

They actually did allude to Palpatine being Anakin's "dad" in the prequels.  Something along the lines of "influence the midichlorians to create life".  

I think that was a reference to Palpatine's master Darth Plagueis the Wise.  Some assert that he is the Supreme leader.

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

is that a tragedy?  Maybe in the classical "man doomed by his refusal to change" sense, but if you ask me, anybody going around calling himself "Darth Plagueis" is tempting karma.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

If you remember the tragedy of Darth Plagueis his apprentice (Palpatine/Sidious) killed him.

The theory is that Palpatine could have been wrong about that he had the power to save others but not himself.  Wouldn't be so out of character for a Master to withhold information from a student.  In the now noncannon EU there's plenty of body switches, etc

• Like 1

*finally* saw it yesterday and read through the first four pages of this thread.

In as much as I know I am going to be on the wrong side of this debate, I don't think Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter.  I have not seen any evidence of him getting a girl.  It is possible it happened after RotJ, but nothing in the background story says anything about a wife.  The alternative is Leia's daughter, but then I think Han Solo would have recognized her when he recaptured his ship.  The only other possibility I can think of is she is much younger than Kylo Ren and Luke hid her on a remote planet when he turned to the Dark Side.  (And I already crossed that out because I doubt that he is portrayed in his early 30's and she in her late teens.)  So I am going back to the part I put in bold and underline.

I liked her as a character.  They developed her well.

Kylo Ren - Uh.  He.  Is.  Simply.  Not.  As.  Bad.  Ass.  As.  His.  Grandfather.

Darth Vader had incompetent Generals who failed him.  He force-choked him and then promoted a replacement.

Kylo Ren had an incompetent General who failed him.  He pulled out his Light Saber and whacked something expensive.  Whack the General!

• Like 2

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Maybe Kylo Ren is in his mid-30s, and Rey is his daughter.

I don't really believe it, but figured I'd throw that out there since it's just about the only suggestion which hasn't been made. ;)

Credit for being original!  Okay.  I am looking at the Wikipedia article.

Assuming "Approximately 30 years" as being within one year, then Kylo Ren could be as much as 28 or 29 years old.  I don't think the "Rey is Ren's Daughter" theory is very likely.  A much younger sibling Rey might be 16 years old.  So Ren went Dark Side at the age of 16.  She was hidden away at 4.

I think my "Happy Accident" Theory will fall.  That leaves Luke as the father.  The next question is when did he find himself a lady?  What happened to her?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

My guess is that if they do go the Luke parentage route, that his wife was a force sensitive person he found and a possible padawan or teacher at his academy. She died with the rest, lending more to credence to why Luke ran away from it all.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I think we can all agree that this guy

FN-2199.gif

kind of stole the movie :)

tr8r2.gif

• Like 4

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Yeah, Nines was pretty badass. Cheap shot by Solo.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If he is, they were really sloppy with his scarring. Kylo Ren is shown at the end with a significant lightsaber cut on his right cheek and only a faint one on his forehead. Snoke has a huge forehead scar, further up than Ren's, and no visible scarring on his right cheek (although he does have some on his left).

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

Saw it for the 3rd time today.  This time in 3D for kicks.  I took away 3 new things from it:

1.  The 3D version is definitely worth seeing at least once.  It doesn't blow away the 2D version, and I probably won't buy it in 3D, but there are 5 or 6 shots in 3D that look absolutely effing badass.

2.  R2D2 honestly kinda feels like a Deus Ex Machina.  Not because he had the map.  I can justify that.  But because of the timing that he "woke up".  I looked for one and didn't see anything that could feasibly trigger his waking up at that specific time.  

3.  Rey may not be evil, but she doesn't fight like a Jedi either.  Yoda said "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense.  Never for attack".  During their final duel, Rey was playing it SUPER defensive right up until Kylo Ren reminded her about the Force.  After that little epiphany, she went berserk on him.  I feel confident in saying she used the Force for attack.  Which, incidentally, is something Luke did in ROTJ and Mace Windu did in ROTS.  Kinda makes me think Yoda could have been wrong.  Or at least oversimplifying things.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Kinda makes me think Yoda could have been wrong.  Or at least oversimplifying things.  

Typical Jedi philosophy. Never using the force for attack doesn't really make any sense in a fight. Yoda himself gets pretty brutal in Episode 3 when he and Obi-Wan take out the clones at the Jedi temple. 

• Like 1

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

3.  Rey may not be evil, but she doesn't fight like a Jedi either.  Yoda said "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense.  Never for attack".  During their final duel, Rey was playing it SUPER defensive right up until Kylo Ren reminded her about the Force.  After that little epiphany, she went berserk on him.  I feel confident in saying she used the Force for attack.  Which, incidentally, is something Luke did in ROTJ and Mace Windu did in ROTS.  Kinda makes me think Yoda could have been wrong.  Or at least oversimplifying things.  

I wouldn't expect Rey to untrained (as far as we know).  My typical interpretation of Luke in ROTJ was he was in fact drawing on the dark side at that time and losing himself to aggression.  Mace Windu used Vaapad, a technique of ferocity channeling his inner darkness and serving as a conduit of the aggression and passion of one's opponent.  It seemed to be a gray area as well. 

I think it was an ideal.  More of a guideline than an actual rule. ;)

EDIT: Also, the 3D is awesome.  I nearly ducked from a Star destroyer.

• Like 2

But in all those cases they were fighting in defense of the galaxy. You can seek out a fight in order to stop an aggressor from hurting something or someone else, and still be fighting in defense of something even if you're the aggressor in that specific instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Typical Jedi philosophy. Never using the force for attack doesn't really make any sense in a fight. Yoda himself gets pretty brutal in Episode 3 when he and Obi-Wan take out the clones at the Jedi temple. 

That he does.  

I wouldn't expect Rey to untrained (as far as we know).  My typical interpretation of Luke in ROTJ was he was in fact drawing on the dark side at that time and losing himself to aggression.  Mace Windu used Vaapad, a technique of ferocity channeling his inner darkness and serving as a conduit of the aggression and passion of one's opponent.  It seemed to be a gray area as well. 

I think it was an ideal.  More of a guideline than an actual rule. ;)

EDIT: Also, the 3D is awesome.  I nearly ducked from a Star destroyer.

10400640-ff63-0131-6fed-0add9426c766.gif

But in all those cases they were fighting in defense of the galaxy. You can seek out a fight in order to stop an aggressor from hurting something or someone else, and still be fighting in defense of something even if you're the aggressor in that specific instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but Yoda did say "Never for attack."  Which kinda defeats the purpose of using offense as your defense.  

For the record, I agree with you.  Just pointing out that Yoda may not have, if we take him literally.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yoda attacked the clones sneaking up on him when Order 66 was issued.

• Like 1

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

Yoda attacked the clones sneaking up on him when Order 66 was issued.

And he said the famous quote after doing that.  Did his opinion change after fighting the Emperor and seeing Anakin turn?  (rhetorical.  Not trying to start a big discussion)

In any case, I just thought it was interesting that Rey switched from defense to offense when the Force was mentioned. 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I saw it yesterday, and here's a copy of the review I put on FB:

The good:
The old characters are still there, just a little older. Harrison Ford is still the loveable scoundrel, just a bit older, wiser, and sadder. Oh,my thoughts when he died were "I guess Harrison Ford REALLY didn't want to do another Star Wars movie".

The effects were everything they SHOULD be at this stage, with very little if any break between live action and special effect. I don't once recall saying "That looks computer generated". 

No annoying characters (Jar Jar call your office).

Plenty of action, excitement, close-calls, in other words the things that made the original trilogy so great and the lack of which made the prequel trilogy stink like month-old fish left on the beach.

The not-so-good:
The Darth Vader type character replaced with a silly little emo putz. Yeah, I know, Anakin. The thing is he went thru his emo phase BEFORE the forces of evil put him in charge. 

The movie had a kind-of Hunger Games vibe, with a young girl kicking everyone's butt. Seriously, Luke Skywalker trained intensively under Yoda before he was ready to take on Darth Vader, while Rey takes on the best the First Order has to offer the very first time she picks up a light saber.

We have a droid with information BOTH sides want. Stop me if you've heard that before.

We have to destroy the space station, er, planet with a world-destroying weapon built into it. And we've figured out where we have to attack to do so. Stop me if you heard that before.

In order to do so we need to send in ground forces to bring down the shield. Stop me if you've heard THAT before.

The silly:
I'd say the cross guard is the silliest addition to the basic light saber ever, except I DID see The Phantom Menace so I saw the double-ended light saber. Really, it seems easy enough to accidentally cut yourself in half with a light saber,then you add something that'll cut your hand in half if it slides down just a little?

Can someone PLEASE fix the hyperdrive in the Millenium Falcon?

So all told I'd rank it as not as good as the original trilogy, but better than the prequels.
  • Like 1