Loved UnderRated Movies

Do you have a movie or a list of movies you love that was NOT popular but you believe in your very skin that its freaking awesome and it should have been? 

This is the beginning of my List

-Wedding Singer (should be on everyone's shelf, I'm not that big into love stories, but this one is very acceptable.)

-Watchmen (I'm still talking my husband into letting me be Rorshach for Halloween, he says it won't work because "I'm a 5'8" chick")

-Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind (Ok, I swear I'm not that much into love stories, but again this is very acceptable)

-There Will Be Blood (This one was a popular movie, I just still think its awesome

-Top Secret (I was not born born yet when this movie was out, so I'm not sure if it was popular, but I have only met 1 person who knows of this movie)

I know I have many more, but I can't think

How bout you? Any favorite b-rated or just plain movies that didn't get popular? 

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Jupiter Ascending. Spectacular space opera. Includes things like action, spaceship chases, explosions, fabulous costumes, 9-foot dinosaurs wearing leather jackets, more explosions, flying boots, etc. It has its "just go with it" moments, and will leave you like o_O WHAATT? the first time you watch it. Having said this, there are two types of people:

- Those who will be thinking o_O WHAATT a waste of time! Not enough things are explained, this makes no sense, etc.

- Those who will be thinking o_O WHAATT...I NEED TO SEE THIS AGAIN!!!1 (one tends to notice additional details with each re-watch, too!)

Jupiter Ascending did terrible with the critics, unfortunately. Apparently critics hate fun. (On that note, I'm usually a fan of Nostalgia Critic, but with his review of JA I was like...WTF? Did we even watch the same movie?) This makes me sad because it means we will likely never see sequels, spinoff TV series, comics, or art books based on the movie :(

Also, Butternut, you should totally dress up as Rorshach for Halloween if you want to! If I can pull off Loki at 5'6", you can totally pull off Rorshach at 5'8", never mind what the haters say ;P

• Like 2

Thanks Naxious! You've given me more of an "oumph" to do it! 

I've never heard of either of these movies...  I am looking them up in a seperate tap right now.

Another one : "Out Cold."  Before Zach Galifinakis was famous.

Also: "Kung Pow Enter the Fist"  

• Like 2

"Jupiter Ascending" was interesting, but I think if "The Siblings" had 3 movies to tell the story it would have been as good as Matrix. As a film student I could tell huge amounts of the story were cut for time. I liked it, but I think it just missed it's mark. It's  very pretty and the scene from the intergalactic DMV was hilarious.

"Ultra Violet" was good, again it was one of those movies that didn't do that great with critiques.

"Daredevil" Yes, I liked the 2003 version of Daredevil, it was fun. Following that I also like "Electra" yes I know it didn't exactly follow the comics, but I never read the comics so my view wasn't colored by that.

"Vibes" was fun, it had Cindy Lauper and Jeff Goldblum in it.

This isn't an underrated movie, but "Willow" and the books that followed from the movie. Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy is the trilogy of books that follow the movie.

• Like 1

The Boondock Saints

Harlem Nights - Classic comedy lineup of Pryor, Murphy, Foxx, also Della Reese, Danny Aiello

House of 1000 Corpses (I loved it, most of my friends didn't)

The Count of Monte Cristo - Jim Caviezel in 2002.  Ultimate tale of revenge. 

• Like 1

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

For me, my most loved and underrated movie is Oscar.  It's a who's who of 1991 Hollywood, staring such names as Sylvester Stallone, Don Ameche, Marisa Tomei, William Atherton, Tim Curry, and an appearance by Kirk Douglas.

A close second is the movie Clue.  It's another who's who from 1985.  Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, and Martin Mull are among the small cast.

Finally, number three on my list is a movie based on one of my favorite plays.  Noises Off... is another who's who from among Tinsel Town (do you see a pattern here).  Michael Cain, Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve, John Ritter, and Julie Hagerty have some of the best lines and show everything that can go wrong with a big-name stage production.

• Like 4

I'm a huge fan of bad teen movies...

Disney's Descendants, High School Musical, Sky High...

Then there's Yo-Yo Girl Cop which is just bad. As is Dead or Alive. But I love them.

I also love Asian Horror movies. So the Korean Version of A Tale of Two Sisters and the Thai version of Shutter turned out to be my favorites.

Some Kind of Wonderful - the John Hughes movie which always gets overlooked because of the Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.

Untamed Heart - early 90s, Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei

After Hours (Scorsese from 1985)

Night on Earth (Jim Jarmusch from 1991, great movie which didn't do great business because 60% of it is in French/Italian/Finnish)

• Like 1

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Secondhand Lions - starring two of my favorite actors, Michael Cane and Robert Duvall (also Haley Joel Osment)

The Sand Pebbles - Steve McQueen as a China sailor and a VERY young Candace Bergen as a school teacher.

• Like 4

The Road:  Damn depressing.  A horror story for parents.  The worst part is realizing there are people living like this today, no post-apocolyptic world necessary

Dark City:  One of my favorite all time movies.  

Idiocracy:  although could be seen as a documentary today

Moon:  guy alone on the moon...or is he?

• Like 1
On 5/12/2016 at 3:30 PM, Machete said:

Con Air. Greatest movie ever made.

I forgot about that movie.

On 4/19/2016 at 11:38 AM, ChanelNo.9 said:

Eagle vs. Shark.... look it up ;-)

Looked it up, I am going to find this.  I love Jermoine from Flight of the Concords.

On 4/23/2016 at 8:17 AM, Luds said:

The Cell (though it's not that underrated) for being way.. interesting...

Crazy to know Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Lopez was in that movie, but yes, that movie was awesome.  I am still trying to talk my husband into watching that movie

• Like 3

A New Leaf, with Walter Matthau. Not one of his more famous films.  Really, I don't even like Walter Matthau.  But this old gem is such a hilarious quirky understated little movie.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

I second Watchmen. My underrated movie list includes- Artificial Intelligence, Thank You For Smoking, A Scanner Darkly, The Ladykillers, O brother where art Thou and I'd say that I enjoyed what Joseph Gorden Levitt tried in his first feature Don Jon. There are plenty of underrated movies that I don't remember right now.

• Like 1

Never watched "bullet proof monk" but you mentioned "Stifler" (Seann William Scott) and it reminded me of the movie "Goon" it wasn't the greatest movie but it is my "turn off brain" movie.

• Like 1

Crying Freeman (1995) featuring Marc Dacascos is considered as a B-movie but it is actually a very good B-movie with excellent storytelling, acting and characters.

I also love the original Punisher movie featuring Dolph Lundgren back in the early 1990s. It is still the best Punisher movie in terms of building the Frank Castle character despite of criticism about it did not show the iconic skull logo.

• Like 2

Check out my fitness logs, journey updates & nutrition tips as I try to build a body like CM Punk.