Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Alif the Unseen, which I'm finding a bit slow and dull. It needs to get the The Point (which I believe is some kind of magicky/fantasy goodness, whereas right now it's the obligatory daily-life intro of our intrepid hero, but it's been going on for paaaaaaaages now).

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Oh my gosh. I am reading so much (librarian! Hahaha!)

For research purposes:
The Saloon on the Rocky Mountain 
A Little Gay History

For Pleasure:
Hangsaman
The Bicycle Commuters Handbook
The Art of Cycling

and The Thin Executioner

Pretty soon, I'll be tackling Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian got banned at a school district my library serves. The entire school district banned the book and so now there's a big statewide stink about it. All the book sellers and library professionals are now reading the book as a sort of protest and doing our best to get our hands on copies to give out to kids. : )

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

Alif the Unseen, which I'm finding a bit slow and dull. It needs to get the The Point (which I believe is some kind of magicky/fantasy goodness, whereas right now it's the obligatory daily-life intro of our intrepid hero, but it's been going on for paaaaaaaages now).

I read this, and I loved it. But the start is slow, which is typical of her writing style. She specializes in magical realism and often the magic she uses is very subtle. Alif is similar to American Gods by Gaiman, if you've read that? It takes FOREVER to get anywhere interesting, but once you do, it goes fast! Don't worry, you'll get there. She's just taking her time.

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

Oh my gosh. I am reading so much (librarian! Hahaha!)

For research purposes:

The Saloon on the Rocky Mountain 

A Little Gay History

For Pleasure:

Hangsaman

The Bicycle Commuters Handbook

The Art of Cycling

and The Thin Executioner

Pretty soon, I'll be tackling Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian got banned at a school district my library serves. The entire school district banned the book and so now there's a big statewide stink about it. All the book sellers and library professionals are now reading the book as a sort of protest and doing our best to get our hands on copies to give out to kids. : )

I read Alexie's book when it first came out (I was a teen librarian at the time, /highfive!). It is frikkin' great. I can absolutely see why it got banned, too: it tells the truth in an unflinching manner in a way that resonates with teen audiences.

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

I read Alexie's book when it first came out (I was a teen librarian at the time, /highfive!). It is frikkin' great. I can absolutely see why it got banned, too: it tells the truth in an unflinching manner in a way that resonates with teen audiences.

(/highfive yea! Go librarians and library aids!!) I've read snippets and I know all about it. I'm excited to read it, especially since I'm the YA go-to at my library. : )

The school district that banned it is a really affluent, white area. All the richest people in the state send their kids to this school district, except one school, where all the poor kids get funneled to. They'd all be super offended by the language and topics. 

There was even this: 

Police Show Up to Free Book Giveaway

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

Oh MAN, that's amazing. Yeah, it's gonna be seen as incredibly subversive in that sort of environment. Forgive my glee; I tend to really enjoy using books to knock people out of their comfort zones.

Barbs are flung about pretty liberally in that book about the rich/poor school dynamics. ^_^

• Like 2

Elizabeth Warren's A Fighting Chance

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

(/highfive yea! Go librarians and library aids!!) I've read snippets and I know all about it. I'm excited to read it, especially since I'm the YA go-to at my library. : )

The school district that banned it is a really affluent, white area. All the richest people in the state send their kids to this school district, except one school, where all the poor kids get funneled to. They'd all be super offended by the language and topics. 

There was even this: 

Police Show Up to Free Book Giveaway

I should read this book....

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

I finished Good Omens a few days ago, and meh. It just wasn't what I was looking for. I feel as though I would have enjoyed it more if either I had a Christian background, or was British; I think many of the references were lost on me. I'm also not a huge fan of "funny" books.

Well, back to my smutty Johnlock slashfic. Then I should finish Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear by Steve Goodman, start Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity by Chloe Brushwood Rose and Anna Camilleri, and then I don't know! Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? To Crush the Moon by Wil McCarthy? (I'd probably have to restart the trilogy at this point.)

I'm excited because Holly Black just announced a new book, but it's coming out in January, argh. The Darkest Part of the Forest is another faerie story, too! SQUEE.

I only have the epilogue left in Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  It is a very, very readable history about President Lincoln's road to the presidency and his political action in office.  It's a different form of Civil War history in that it's not focused on the battles of the war, but on the Union politics of the war.  Highly recommended.

I also have Art of Manliness's Manvotionals going on the side.  I don't know what my next book will be after Team of Rivals.  I need to go through my Kindle and see what's there.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Hello guys, I'm currently approaching the end of my robots/empire/foundation trip with Asimov, and I have no idea what to read after it, all though the new Jim Butcher should be out in a month or so, so that's coming. Do any of you got any tips. I read pretty much anything involving sci-fi or fantasy (read all the books of Terry Pratchett, for instance), so do you guys have any tips?

Peter F. Hamilton is fun.

Thanks for the tip, the wikipedia entry mentioned commonwealth, which for some reason made me think of the Culture, from Iain Banks, so now it's a toss up between those two. I'll probably read both anyways, but now it is a matter of who first.

I just started the "Sookie Stackhouse novels" and I am unfortunately not enjoying them.I also just finished "Uglies" which wasn't bad though I have yet to decide if I want to read the sequel. My next book will likely be something non-fiction for some variety.

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%

I thought Uglies was the best of the series, though Pretties and Specials were both interesting extensions of the story. I'd recommend against Extras, though. Peeps and the Leviathan series were both much stronger stories of Westerfeld's, in my opinion. The Midnighters series is my favorite of his.

I just started the "Sookie Stackhouse novels" and I am unfortunately not enjoying them.I also just finished "Uglies" which wasn't bad though I have yet to decide if I want to read the sequel. My next book will likely be something non-fiction for some variety.

These books are as campy as the show. I actually had to buy them out of the Romance section at my local bookstore when I read them. They're not "good" but they're fast, they're entertaining, and they're something to read.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I thought Uglies was the best of the series, though Pretties and Specials were both interesting extensions of the story. I'd recommend against Extras, though. Peeps and the Leviathan series were both much stronger stories of Westerfeld's, in my opinion. The Midnighters series is my favorite of his.

My favourite of his is The Last Days, which is the sequel to Peeps. Loved it so much! Haven't read Midnighters yet.

• Like 1

Re-read Palahniuk's Fight Club probably for the 20th time. Then finished up Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson. Think I am going to re-read Mark Divine's Way of the SEAL and work through all the exercises now that I have had a couple weeks to digest it.

Sent from my microwave.

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Have just finished Charles Duhigg " The power of Habit". Interesting book, but sometimes a bit slow, so I skipped some parts. But some facts were very informative.

Next project unsure, but thinking of reading a book about Göran Kropp who biked between Sweden and Mount Everest, reached the summit without oxygen, and the biked back again.

@MogiShade: I really have to read Fight Club, only seen the movie *ashamed*

• Like 1

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Have just finished Charles Duhigg " The power of Habit". Interesting book, but sometimes a bit slow, so I skipped some parts. But some facts were very informative.

Next project unsure, but thinking of reading a book about Göran Kropp who biked between Sweden and Mount Everest, reached the summit without oxygen, and the biked back again.

@MogiShade: I really have to read Fight Club, only seen the movie *ashamed*

Duhigg's The Power of Habit is on my "to read" list.  Just listened to the AoM podcast with him, sounds fascinating.

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Thanks for the information, I will look into the other series' you mentioned.

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%

Oh my goodness... The mall I go to had a massive booksale this weekend! Didn't manage to get past the sci-fi/fantasy/classics hallway and walked out with 17 new-to-me books. Only spent about 35$. :) Rediscovering my love for Anne McCaffrey and Sara Douglas. I also have my pile of half a dozen library books to go through first... Best get going on it!

• Like 3
A warrior has only one true friend: himself. So he feeds his body well; he trains it; works on it. Where he lacks skill, he practises. Where he lacks knowledge, he studies. But above all he must believe. He must believe in the strength of will, of purpose, of heart and soul. - David Gemmell

@Arlunydd                              Instagram