Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Ze/zir? That's a new one for me.

Yeah, the created pronouns are new on a lot of people who0 haven't had particular reasons to come across them. That's why I'm good with the singular "they" for most people, it's a little easier to adapt a known set of pronoun than learn a whole new set.

Still, there's always time for a quick Pronouns 101 :)

post-30116-0-24551500-1402955576_thumb.j

Viscura
[Cybernetic Warrior
]

Current Challenge

LEVEL: 18
STR: 23 | STA: 25 | CON: 22 | INT: 10 | WIL: 19 | DEX: 1

Stuff I do:
Write stories and talk about being trans
Various filmy/webseriesy things

Thankfully, we here in Lower Nowhere have "y'all," which is a perfectly fine collective/singular pronoun.

• Like 3

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

I've just been using "yonder gentlefolk" all this time.  Again I have failed. :(

Or succeeded awesomely! (any time you use "yonder," it's a win.)

I'm a fan of "all y'all."  Gender neutral and folksy as all git out.

• Like 3

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Hi. This looks like a place where I should be!

I am non-binary transgender - or genderqueer. Feel free to use the singular "they" pronouns, or if you have comfort doing so, I like the "ze/zir" pronouns too. Or, y'know, call me Lee ;)

I've read some of the posts on here, it's nice to have a safe space that seems to really be a safe space.

Hi Lee :-)

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Yeah, the created pronouns are new on a lot of people who0 haven't had particular reasons to come across them. That's why I'm good with the singular "they" for most people, it's a little easier to adapt a known set of pronoun than learn a whole new set.

Still, there's always time for a quick Pronouns 101 :)

attachicon.gifPronouns 101_smaller.jpg

Welcome to the party!

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I have a question that I wanted to offer up for discussion - I'm curious to hear what people think about this:

**Disclaimer - I am using "Queer" as an umbrella term for LGBTQA and the various gender and sexual minorities that don't fall under that acronym.**

Is there a distinction between "Queer" as a gender identity or sexual orientation and "Queer" as a personal identifier, community, or culture?

If one falls under the umbrella term of "Queer", do they have to use "Queer" as personal identifier or be part of the larger "Queer" community?

Can a person be one without being the other? Would it be possible to be "Queer" without being "Queer", per se?

What do you all think?

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?

Yes? Of course its possible to be queer and not a part of queer culture. There are a lot of people who actively disengage from the scene for whatever reason. Transfolk in particular often do this as they progress through their transitions and want to "just be straight" or whatever.

Can you be a part of the scene as a heterosexual? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what type of person you are i guess. The scene is mostly created by people with shared experiences and similar outlooks, so i dont see why a heterosexual person couldnt join in, especially if they fall outside the gender binary.

*edits for grammar, removed depersonalisation 

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I'm glad that this thread exists.

Hello by the by! I'm (as I like to call myself) a pandemic, or demisexual and panromantic.

• Like 3

Race: Tiefling

Class: Assassin

[Level: 2STR 3DEX 2 STA 2CON 2WIS 1CHA 2 ]

I don't want to be skinny. I want to be dangerous.

I'm a heterosexual female and I have quite a few gay male friends. My girlfriends and I often go out with them in West Hollywood, which has a huge queer scene - soooo much fun. So yeah, you can totally be a part of the scene even if you, yourself aren't queer.

Not trying to speak for anyone else, but while you consider yourself 'part of the scene' you're really not. I believe what may have been meant by a heterosexual not being able to join in is there is no way you can experience what I do as a gay/queer female, because you are not gay/queer, any more than I could claim to know what someone who is African American goes through because I am not.

You have never been fired because of your sexuality, never been looked at oddly because of who you were married to, never had your family tell you that whomever you were dating was not welcome in their home, never had your children feel they had to get into a fight because of what some punk kid who did not understand said about you. So party scene, yes, and I have several straight friends who used to join us when we would go to the club, but there is much more to us than that scene.

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Not trying to speak for anyone else, but while you consider yourself 'part of the scene' you're really not. I believe what may have been meant by a heterosexual not being able to join in is there is no way you can experience what I do as a gay/queer female, because you are not gay/queer, any more than I could claim to know what someone who is African American goes through because I am not.

You have never been fired because of your sexuality, never been looked at oddly because of who you were married to, never had your family tell you that whomever you were dating was not welcome in their home, never had your children feel they had to get into a fight because of what some punk kid who did not understand said about you. So party scene, yes, and I have several straight friends who used to join us when we would go to the club, but there is much more to us than that scene.

I said I was a part of the scene, like a participant, or more like an avid fan even. My best friend is a gay man and he confides in me all the time about his problems with life, love, and prejudice.

And I have had my family tell me who I was dating was not welcome in our home... my parents don't approve of me seeing anyone who isn't Persian or white.

Wasn't looking to ruffle any feathers here. I'm an ally through and through!

• Like 4

Lindsay, Level 1. Warrior Princess

Becoming a Warrior Princess, Step 1

Allies are great! It's rough when families don't agree with your romantic choices. I've never experienced racism like that. What Redeaglespirit is saying is that sure, you can get an idea for what it's like to be queer, especially in situations that may be similar (like racism), but having race used against you is a different experience than having your sexuality used against you. Not better or worse, just different. No one's trying to outdo each other on how much of a victim they are.

• Like 6

I am sorry, wasn't trying to attack, just pointing out that your experience in the scene is different as a heterosexual person than mine is as a queer person. Personally I cannot imagine telling one of my kids that I did not accept who they loved...

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Hi Lindsay and mk :)

I agree with what Twilight said. I am glad you are supportive of other' lifestyles outside of your own, the world needs more of that :)

WTP: I agree with Hitlionsoul :) and hey!!!

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I believe what may have been meant by a heterosexual not being able to join in is there is no way you can experience what I do as a gay/queer female, because you are not gay/queer

WARNING - BAD LANGUAGE INCOMING

Without getting into intersectionality (far too big a word for a monday morning) i dont think this really holds water, because people will judge you on your characteristics before they judge you for who you actually sleep with. If you look like a 'dyke' or a 'faggot' or a 'tranny' you are going to experience what queer people go through regardless of your gender/sexual identity. 

This is why queer people disassociate with the scene in the first place, because they dont want to be tied in to the implications that go along with being 'out and proud'. The "oh im gay but im no queen" types. The "i got mine now fuck you" types. 

I agree that the scene is a lot more than going to clubs, and i think you're spot on when it comes to interpersonal relationships (like family, friends, close work colleagues). But the day to day life, the people who stare at you in the supermarket, or the gas station attendant who wont open the doors for you at night, or the shop owner who tells you to gtfo, they dont know who you sleep next to. They just see clothes, haircuts, voice - they judge you based on a perceived lifestyle regardless of the life you actually lead. And thats exactly what queer people fight every day.

So if someone wants to hang out in the scene; help create safe spaces, write and/or distribute resources for queer and questioning folk, volunteer with at risk youth, or even just grab coffee and chat (or whatever else qualifies as being in your scene), then they are a part of the scene. 

• Like 4

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I am sorry, wasn't trying to attack, just pointing out that your experience in the scene is different as a heterosexual person than mine is as a queer person. Personally I cannot imagine telling one of my kids that I did not accept who they loved...

No harm done. Much love. Just trying to put my name down on the ally list :D

And yeah... that's why I moved out. I wasn't even with anyone at the time, but they were pressuring me to find a "good Persian or white man". If I made a comment in passing about how a Black or Latino man was cute, I'd get chastised.

Like Twilight said, it's not the same, there are similarities, but at base it's not the same and I get that.

• Like 2

Lindsay, Level 1. Warrior Princess

Becoming a Warrior Princess, Step 1