Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Me too. .. I hear all the time "you have some fine legs for a fat girl"... I always wanna say "I have some fine legs for ANY sized girl because seriously you can bounce quarters off my solid swole calves! And. .. I hear all the time "I could never ride my bike as much as you" (we did a 160 mile trail in June and a 105 partial trail in July) or "i could never hike like you do". ... to which i always reply well when i first started i couldn't either I had to train hard and increase slowly. .. I also hear "I could never eat as healthy as you do all the time and you never go for the junk food i could never do that" to which i reply neither could i when i started babysteps are the key! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Bwahahahahahaha!!  :applause:  I love it!!

And direrael, I get it.  Sometimes the most annoying thing to hear is a conversation I didn't get a chance to back out of.

I always hated when my grandmother would say to me "You're very cute, but you would be beautiful if only you lost a little weight."

Yeah, I am fat now, but when she was saying this I wore a size 4. Uhg. I still get that from family members. sigh

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Me too. .. I hear all the time "you have some fine legs for a fat girl"... I always wanna say "I have some fine legs for ANY sized girl because seriously you can bounce quarters off my solid swole calves! And. .. I hear all the time "I could never ride my bike as much as you" (we did a 160 mile trail in June and a 105 partial trail in July) or "i could never hike like you do". ... to which i always reply well when i first started i couldn't either I had to train hard and increase slowly. .. I also hear "I could never eat as healthy as you do all the time and you never go for the junk food i could never do that" to which i reply neither could i when i started babysteps are the key! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

biggest pet peeve EVEA

" I could never do... XXXX"

no- you could- you just set yourself up for failure by never even trying.  SMH.

biggest pet peeve EVEA

" I could never do... XXXX"

no- you could- you just set yourself up for failure by never even trying.  SMH.

If they are close friends i usually offer to help them with goal setting etc send them nf links. .... work people i just tell them i couldn't either until i did

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Guest CyborgNinja

One of the annoying fitness-related things I hear all the time is unfit, unhealthy people insisting that getting fit requires meticulous planning and hours in the gym and all of this stuff. Along with it, fat lazy slobs eating their Burger King will insist that eating healthy is so expensive, and if you do your own cooking it's expensive AND time consuming.

Yeah, no.

I am the strongest person I know by far, even though some of my friends have as much as 4 inches of height and 30 pounds on me. I spend less time and effort on working out than the skinny cardio bunny girls I know. I go into the gym 3 times per week and hit maybe 2 or 3 lifts seriously and the rest is just bodyweight playing. Since so much of what I do is bodyweight, I often just wake up in the morning and hit some exercise right in my house before leaving for the day. It's like it's just a normal part of my daily hygiene like brushing my teeth, but to hear chubbies tell it I MUST be spending hours and hours per day in the gym trying to get strong, and my only possible motive is to impress women.

I lol heartily at these because that is a projection - if lacking better information they assume that's how I do it and that's what I do it for, they're really telling me that they are incompetent and motivated by petty things.

Eating healthy is the same story. I wake up and cook and go. I leave the house at 6 am when I work and I still cook breakfast. It's just not that hard, I have yet to ever be so busy in my life that I have to switch to cooking in batches and eating over multiple days, much less get so busy that I cannot cook for myself. I usually set up my laptop on the counter and check my internets while my food cooks.

Then again I did kinda sorta redesign all of cooking around the food I believe is healthy, my budget and my personal convenience. I took what ingredients that left available and learned to cook with the time available, I improvised within constraints and got something awesome out of it. That's what happens when you're smart and practical: you solve problems and gain the ability to succeed where others fail.

I do find it ironic that most of the people telling me that cooking and fitness "take so much time" are TV watchers. Maybe if they threw their televisions away they'd have time to fix their disgusting bodies.

Fat people, I have learned, are not smart - if they were, the first thing they would be doing is getting thin. There are some fat people I know who are either making great progress or at least trying, and I commend them for that. Still, those who cannot see that they are in serious need of physical improvement tend to display a lack of intellectual power in other areas, at least in my experience.

Guest CyborgNinja

Annoying comments you hear all the time:

Look, I'm sorry to be controversial or upsetting but that's the truth. 

If the truth is offensive, that's not really my issue.

I have never found the truth to be offensive. I do find your naming your own narrow and anti-social opinion as truth to be so.

Paladin Aspirant

Level 3

STR: 13   DEX: 3  STA: 9  CON: 9.33   WIS: 6.66   CHA: 6

MyFitnessPal

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth

people are fat for all kinds of psychologocal or emotional reasons, not just because they lack the knowledge how to improve their bodies.

do the fat people that decide to get fit become smart in that same instant, or were they smart all the time?

are skinny nerd-geeks that may be as physically incompetent as fat people (or even more!) also stupid?

if you are trying to say that it's stupid to become and stay fat, i can agree with that. if you are saying that they are stupid people, not juat that they behave stupid in one aspect - that's plain stupid statement! (but that one single statement does not make you a stupid person)

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

we have a potluck here at work tonight...

I can never figure out what to bring to these sorts of things because most people don't eat like me...

brought in eggplant salsa... it was a big hit...

although I overheard people talking about how I am " dissapearing" (I am down 40# this year) and one of them was like "there is no way she isn't doing drugs have you SEEN how much she eats?" the other one was like "I am pretty she she isn't taking drugs or anything she is pretty clean cut" girl one "there is no way someone could lose as much as her without doing drugs or taking pills or something I mean she probably had surgery!" third girl "have you seen how much she rides her bike? she is like a nut!"

I just walked away without even letting them know I had heard them... sigh

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

god forbid... hard work and not over eating- it's a miracle!!!

they are convinced (because I bring in GIANT bags of food and I eat all night long) that no one can eat that much and lose weight

(seriously I bring in lots and lots of food.... and usually have to stop in the cafeteria on the way home.... but... it's fairly paleoish so... not ginormous amounts of calories)

Spoiler

I have been eating MORE this summer, and losing weight like you wouldn't believe. 

tumblr_static_science_shirt_front_thumb.

I can not BELIEVE how much I am eating.... and it is ALL good quality food... and I am rarely hungry (unless it's a day I bicycle 40 miles and don't pack enough portable food)

Spoiler

they are convinced (because I bring in GIANT bags of food and I eat all night long) that no one can eat that much and lose weight

(seriously I bring in lots and lots of food.... and usually have to stop in the cafeteria on the way home.... but... it's fairly paleoish so... not ginormous amounts of calories)

yeah... it amuses me- giving the office "oh that's right you are trying to be a size zero" comment coupled with my dance teacher woh watched me house some chicken before class- she goes- "how is it possible for anyone to believe you don't eat- you eat ALL THE TIME"

definitely this:

"science... it works bitches"

<3

I hear some stuffs like... "you are disgusting, why don't you slim down a bit"... and just after "you don't finish your food" ??? :onthego:

or one i like:  "you work out ??? i have never seen your six pack...",

normal i am dressed.... :numbness:

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

It's not the truth. You're being arrogant and rude. You are insulting a pretty large portion of the Nerd Fitness population in some way or another in your previous post by using the titles and language that you chose.

It's wonderful that you're so outstandingly intelligent and such a strong bull to boot. It's great that you've done well with your fitness and lead a life that is not so busy that you have time to cook. Many others don't and you need to realize everyone's situation is different and you don't understand them all. Tone it down.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It's not the truth. You're being arrogant and rude. You are insulting a pretty large portion of the Nerd Fitness population in some way or another in your previous post by using the titles and language that you chose.

It's wonderful that you're so outstandingly intelligent and such a strong bull to boot. It's great that you've done well with your fitness and lead a life that is not so busy that you have time to cook. Many others don't and you need to realize everyone's situation is different and you don't understand them all. Tone it down.

Hurrah.

I was wondering on his age/maturity/life experience, doesn't seem like he has much to be so narrow minded and judgemental on things he doesn't know about.

I have never experienced overweight people to be lacking intelligence. In fact, the majority seem to be quite successful in other areas of their life, such as careers or family. Becoming overweight and trying to lose it is an emotional issue not an intellectual one, food these days has so many chemicals, it is honestly an addiction that needs to be broken plus breaking down the emotional barriers,

I can never figure out what to bring to these sorts of things because most people don't eat like me...

although I overheard people talking about how I am " dissapearing" (I am down 40# this year) and one of them was like "there is no way she isn't doing drugs have you SEEN how much she eats?" the other one was like "I am pretty she she isn't taking drugs or anything she is pretty clean cut" girl one "there is no way someone could lose as much as her without doing drugs or taking pills or something I mean she probably had surgery!" third girl "have you seen how much she rides her bike? she is like a nut!"

Geez. I'm sorry. It's a real bummer to work so hard and then have other people just dismiss your efforts. Don't pay any attention to them, though - what you're accomplishing is amazing and you deserve to be proud!

Don't worry too much about all of what they're saying just focus on the part about how you are visibly losing weight and other people are noticing. the fact that they are having to construct ludicrous explanations for your weight lose (she must be doing drugs!) shows what an amazing transformation you're going through- they can't believe that you're achieving it through just diet and exercise but the joke is on them because you are! We've been so conditioned by advertising quick-fix diets and 'exercise' programmes and the false hope the give that people now find it unbelievable that someone could achieve weight lose just through their own hardwork and determination.

In cognitive psychology there is the concept of life scripts- a way of describing the meaning we attribute to events in our lives and kind of an explanation as to why we repeatedly go through the same experiences i.e. we stick to certain types of jobs, date certain types of people, that sort of thing. It's quite often used to explain why people go through the same abusive relationships with different partners- they always react the same way to certain situations and look for certain attributes in potential partners and these attributes tend to crop up in the sort of people who are often abusive so therefore you go from one abusive relationship to the next because you always end up dating abusive people. this is really simplifying it but it leads on to a much more interesting point.

The idea of life scripts also applies to how people view us too. As we tend to always act the same way, people who get to know us also learn to expect us to act certain ways. We learn to anticipate how people will react to different situations and even begin to factor this in when we make any sorts of plans that involve others. If you know somebody is quite easy going about helping move furniture but someone else always gets upset- you're much more likely to ask the first person to help you move your sofa than the other as you've learnt how each of them will react when you ask!

The flip side to this then is that it really messes with peoples heads when you start doing things differently from what they've gotten used to you doing. This is why it's so shocking when the chilled up guy in the office suddenly looses their temper and shouts at someone- you just don't expect it and it goes against everything you know about them. Reality has, in just a tiny way, become more complicated.

And this is what is causing your co-workers to speculate about your weight lose behind your back- they just don't understand how it fits into their perception of your life script. They've built up this image of you as being overweight and now they're having to wrestle with the shocking reality that you are rapidly changing from that and the perception of you that's been constructed over the years is crumbling in front of their eyes. And it won't just be the weight lose that is messing with them- it'll be your determination and effort to do it that they'll find confusing as there is a good chance that they never ascribed to you the ability or pure grit to do it. People can take this really badly too and react in very negative ways such as lashing verbally (and in some extreme occasions even physically) out at you, if not necessarily to your face- by your actions you are proving that they don't understand their worlds as well as they like to believe they do. It's like telling a five year-old that Santa doesn't exist- just five year-olds are a lot more adaptable to sudden changes in their perceptions of reality than your average adult!

You should be really proud of what you've achieved and not just the improvements to your physical well-being; if your work colleagues are struggling to comprehend that you can be successful at this, there is a good chance that it's something you've always had doubts about too and now you're not just showing them that they're wrong in this erroneous assumption about you, but you're also proving to yourself that you are better than you previously believed too. Let them talk, let them gossip, you know what you are doing and how you are achieving it and nothing they say will make it any different. Prove them wrong over and over again and eventually the people it's worth actually being friends with will learn to accept and love the new you.

Ignore the nay-sayers- they have nothing to contribute that will help you achieve your goals.

Annoying comments you hear all the time:

Fat people, I have learned, are not smart - if they were, the first thing they would be doing is getting thin.

+1

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Back when I was a vegetarian, people, and by that I mean coworkers or other people who knew relatively little about me, would start lecturing me on how unhealthy my decision was and it always ended with "You know, I love animals too. . . ."

My response:

"Oh, I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm vegetarian because I hate plants. "

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

We have lots of morning teas at work.  There is never anything healthy.  I asked for carrot sticks once, and got told no-one wants to eat that.  

At the most recent one I got, in an almost accusing tone: "Still not eating sugar?"  "Nope."  "You're lucky you can just stop eating it"  Umm, yeah, it's totally not hard work at all *rolls eyes*

My journey

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Join me at myfitnesspal: liftmeupletmefall

Join me at jefit