Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Fat people, I have learned, are not smart - if they were, the first thing they would be doing is getting thin. There are some fat people I know who are either making great progress or at least trying, and I commend them for that. Still, those who cannot see that they are in serious need of physical improvement tend to display a lack of intellectual power in other areas, at least in my experience.

+1

love & peace,

Heidi

Let me begin by saying, I'm stupid. I must be, I was an obese child, a morbidly obese teenager, and a morbidly obese adult. Here allow me to show you how stupid I was.

2013-10.jpg

Now forgive me if I am offending with my fatness. Thing is that's not even my heaviest. No years before this in 2007 I stepped on a shipping scale at work I weighed in at 411 pounds. Now I don't have any pictures of myself from that time. In fact I don't have pictures from about age 20 to age 29, which would be last year. Certain things make me refrain from taking and actively avoid having my picture taken during that time.

Shame.

Self Loathing.

Suicidal Depression.

I'm not going to make excuses for why I was fat, why I was morbidly obese. I ate too much. I ate way too much. It's not that I wasn't physically active. I was a football player from middle school through high school, I lifted weights. While I have an associates degree, admittedly from a community college, like I said I'm stupid, I've made some bad choices, as an adult I've worked mainly physically intensive jobs, the economy being what it is. I'm a book binder by trade, might as well be a buggy whip maker given the way print is going. So while I worked 8-12 hour shifts on my feet moving tens of thousands of books, I was still fat. Because I ate too much, because eating gave me pleasure. Because even though I hate myself, deeply deeply hate myself, disgusted by what I saw in the mirror, we all gotta eat.

That's not to say I didn't try to lose weight. I tried going vegetarian, I drank slim fast, I tried fad diets, but as has been established... as a fat person I'm stupid, right? Well perhaps that's not quite right, perhaps a more succinct way to put it was I was ignorant.

There is a difference between stupid, and ignorant. Stupid is a deficiency of intelligence, ignorance is a deficiency of knowledge. One is chronic, the other can be corrected. There is a lot of misinformation out there, a lot of propaganda from various producers of foods. For every study that says one thing is healthy there is another that says that very same thing will kill. The messaging out there is pretty ridiculous. I know I was deeply misinformed. That's not to say I never heard the correct thing, "eat right and exercise," but the deep rooted fundamental truth of it was lost in the noise.

I am reminded of this YouTube video, though it is more about the wonders of nature and science, but it's fundamental message of knowing vs understanding resonates with me on this subject.

The truth of how to lose weight, how to gain muscle, how to strengthen your heart and lungs, and how to eat healthier is all stunningly simple of course. "Eat less calories." "Lift a heavy thing up and put it down, repeat." "Elevate your heart rate, keep it up, repeat." "Eat less processed foods."

Simple.

Simple should NEVER be confused with easy.

Running a marathon is simple, put one foot in front of the other, repeat for 26.3 miles. That doesn't mean it is easy.

As for myself? Today I weighed in at 215 pounds dead even. That means I have personally lost One Hundred and Fourty Five pounds since last October. That means I have lost One Hundred and Ninty Six Pounds, give or take a few for the weight of the clothes I was wearing that day since I ran up the largest number I ever have on a scale. I have lost more weight than some people here who are desperate to lose weight have weighed at their heaviest. It was simple. I counted calories. I ate less. I ran.

It was simple. It was not easy.

IMG_20130718_075608.JPG

Forgive me for not having time to splice together spiffy mug shots for this, this is just a shot I had taken at work after getting worked up over this thread. Now maybe I'm still just stupid, after all, 215 for a 6'0" man is still overweight. And I have plenty of fat still hanging on, loose skin, and I'll have these stretch marks forever to feel disgusted and ashamed over... still...

This community is a place of support, shared knowledge, and motivation.

It should not be a place where people are made to feel ashamed.

Belittled.

Mocked.

So I digress. What annoying comments do I hear all the time? See the quoted text.

• Like 3

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Totally agree FalseAesop - just wanted to clarify a little bit.

Heidi was alluding to the quoted statement as annoying :D

and you know what? A million woots to you on your progress. That's incredibly motivating and inspiring.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Holy cow, I am embarrassed at the confusion and hurt feelings I sparked.

Please forgive me?

And FalseAesop, I am honored that you shared your story, humbled by your effort and your progress, inspired by your dedication.

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Let me begin by saying, I'm stupid. I must be, I was an obese child, a morbidly obese teenager, and a morbidly obese adult. Here allow me to show you how stupid I was.

2013-10.jpg

Now forgive me if I am offending with my fatness. Thing is that's not even my heaviest. No years before this in 2007 I stepped on a shipping scale at work I weighed in at 411 pounds. Now I don't have any pictures of myself from that time. In fact I don't have pictures from about age 20 to age 29, which would be last year. Certain things make me refrain from taking and actively avoid having my picture taken during that time.

Shame.

Self Loathing.

Suicidal Depression.

I'm not going to make excuses for why I was fat, why I was morbidly obese. I ate too much. I ate way too much. It's not that I wasn't physically active. I was a football player from middle school through high school, I lifted weights. While I have an associates degree, admittedly from a community college, like I said I'm stupid, I've made some bad choices, as an adult I've worked mainly physically intensive jobs, the economy being what it is. I'm a book binder by trade, might as well be a buggy whip maker given the way print is going. So while I worked 8-12 hour shifts on my feet moving tens of thousands of books, I was still fat. Because I ate too much, because eating gave me pleasure. Because even though I hate myself, deeply deeply hate myself, disgusted by what I saw in the mirror, we all gotta eat.

That's not to say I didn't try to lose weight. I tried going vegetarian, I drank slim fast, I tried fad diets, but as has been established... as a fat person I'm stupid, right? Well perhaps that's not quite right, perhaps a more succinct way to put it was I was ignorant.

There is a difference between stupid, and ignorant. Stupid is a deficiency of intelligence, ignorance is a deficiency of knowledge. One is chronic, the other can be corrected. There is a lot of misinformation out there, a lot of propaganda from various producers of foods. For every study that says one thing is healthy there is another that says that very same thing will kill. The messaging out there is pretty ridiculous. I know I was deeply misinformed. That's not to say I never heard the correct thing, "eat right and exercise," but the deep rooted fundamental truth of it was lost in the noise.

I am reminded of this YouTube video, though it is more about the wonders of nature and science, but it's fundamental message of knowing vs understanding resonates with me on this subject.

The truth of how to lose weight, how to gain muscle, how to strengthen your heart and lungs, and how to eat healthier is all stunningly simple of course. "Eat less calories." "Lift a heavy thing up and put it down, repeat." "Elevate your heart rate, keep it up, repeat." "Eat less processed foods."

Simple.

Simple should NEVER be confused with easy.

Running a marathon is simple, put one foot in front of the other, repeat for 26.3 miles. That doesn't mean it is easy.

As for myself? Today I weighed in at 215 pounds dead even. That means I have personally lost One Hundred and Fourty Five pounds since last October. That means I have lost One Hundred and Ninty Six Pounds, give or take a few for the weight of the clothes I was wearing that day since I ran up the largest number I ever have on a scale. I have lost more weight than some people here who are desperate to lose weight have weighed at their heaviest. It was simple. I counted calories. I ate less. I ran.

It was simple. It was not easy.

IMG_20130718_075608.JPG

Forgive me for not having time to splice together spiffy mug shots for this, this is just a shot I had taken at work after getting worked up over this thread. Now maybe I'm still just stupid, after all, 215 for a 6'0" man is still overweight. And I have plenty of fat still hanging on, loose skin, and I'll have these stretch marks forever to feel disgusted and ashamed over... still...

Belittled.

Mocked.

So I digress. What annoying comments do I hear all the time? See the quoted text.

This is one of the best success stories I have ever seen.  You are the freaking man.

Just shot you an email, I'd love to hear more about how you did it.

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

One of the annoying fitness-related things I hear all the time is unfit, unhealthy people insisting that getting fit requires meticulous planning and hours in the gym and all of this stuff. Along with it, fat lazy slobs eating their Burger King will insist that eating healthy is so expensive, and if you do your own cooking it's expensive AND time consuming.

Yeah, no.

I am the strongest person I know by far, even though some of my friends have as much as 4 inches of height and 30 pounds on me. I spend less time and effort on working out than the skinny cardio bunny girls I know. I go into the gym 3 times per week and hit maybe 2 or 3 lifts seriously and the rest is just bodyweight playing. Since so much of what I do is bodyweight, I often just wake up in the morning and hit some exercise right in my house before leaving for the day. It's like it's just a normal part of my daily hygiene like brushing my teeth, but to hear chubbies tell it I MUST be spending hours and hours per day in the gym trying to get strong, and my only possible motive is to impress women.

I lol heartily at these because that is a projection - if lacking better information they assume that's how I do it and that's what I do it for, they're really telling me that they are incompetent and motivated by petty things.

Eating healthy is the same story. I wake up and cook and go. I leave the house at 6 am when I work and I still cook breakfast. It's just not that hard, I have yet to ever be so busy in my life that I have to switch to cooking in batches and eating over multiple days, much less get so busy that I cannot cook for myself. I usually set up my laptop on the counter and check my internets while my food cooks.

Then again I did kinda sorta redesign all of cooking around the food I believe is healthy, my budget and my personal convenience. I took what ingredients that left available and learned to cook with the time available, I improvised within constraints and got something awesome out of it. That's what happens when you're smart and practical: you solve problems and gain the ability to succeed where others fail.

I do find it ironic that most of the people telling me that cooking and fitness "take so much time" are TV watchers. Maybe if they threw their televisions away they'd have time to fix their disgusting bodies.

Fat people, I have learned, are not smart - if they were, the first thing they would be doing is getting thin. There are some fat people I know who are either making great progress or at least trying, and I commend them for that. Still, those who cannot see that they are in serious need of physical improvement tend to display a lack of intellectual power in other areas, at least in my experience.

There's absolutely no room for this in the Nerd Fitness Rebellion.

I found your words to be horribly offensive, immature, destructive, arrogant, and most of all incredibly ignorant.

Please find yourself a new community.

-Steve

• Like 1

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I found your words to be horribly offensive, immature, destructive, arrogant, and most of all incredibly ignorant.

-Steve

loveimg-thing_zps15d733af.jpg

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

-Steve

^^^This.

love & peace,

Heidi

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

-Steve

YAY 

party party party.

<3

Geez. I'm sorry. It's a real bummer to work so hard and then have other people just dismiss your efforts. Don't pay any attention to them, though - what you're accomplishing is amazing and you deserve to be proud!

I don't really pay attention to them... the VAST majority of my co workers are AWESOME and wonderful... there are just one or two career dieters who always "need to lose 20 pounds" who get frustrated with me for losing (this year) what the two of them combined need to lose and overall losing 5 times what each of them indivually needs to lose...

momma always said "pity the ignorant" (and lead by example)

You should be really proud of what you've achieved and not just the improvements to your physical well-being;

I am VERY extremely proud of myself... I have proved so much these last few years that I am so much more than my past mistakes

I am a beautiful amazing powerful tiger... and I can do anything I put my mind to... and nay sayers will always be nay sayers no matter what I do.... and if nothing I do changes their nay saying then I might as well give them something phenomenal to say nay to ;):onthego:

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Belittled.

Mocked.

You Sir, are a freaking hero :)

My journey

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Join me at myfitnesspal: liftmeupletmefall

Join me at jefit

-Steve

loveimg-thing_zps15d733af.jpg

Yus!  

My journey

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out."

Join me at myfitnesspal: liftmeupletmefall

Join me at jefit

-"You're out of shape? No way! You're so skinny!"

-"You're trying to diet?"

Me: "I still have a little bit of fat on my stomach I want to lose."

Everyone: "You're not fat at all!"

Yeah. Didn't say I was...

I just hate how everyone automatically assumes thin = healthy.

Half-Elf Ranger (Lvl 2)

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 3

“What you can do is often simply a matter of what you will do.â€

Challenge | Battle Log

I am VERY extremely proud of myself... I have proved so much these last few years that I am so much more than my past mistakes

I am a beautiful amazing powerful tiger... and I can do anything I put my mind to... and nay sayers will always be nay sayers no matter what I do.... and if nothing I do changes their nay saying then I might as well give them something phenomenal to say nay to ;):onthego:

*Standing ovation*

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

-"You're out of shape? No way! You're so skinny!"-"You're trying to diet?" Me: "I still have a little bit of fat on my stomach I want to lose."Everyone: "You're not fat at all!"Yeah. Didn't say I was... I just hate how everyone automatically assumes thin = healthy.

That's what a little girl said to me once... When she asked if I was working out. I said yes and then told me oh I need to lose weight to. I was like oh sweetie in not trying to lose weight. Sigh. Mass misconceptions everywhere. Le sigh

breaks my heart when little girls equate exercise to just trying to lose weight. No, I want to enjoy life, not just lose weight. Poor babies.

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Last night, my oldest girl (7 and a bit) was grumpy that I was teaching my son (11 and a half) how to lift weights properly, and not her.  She explained she was depressed that she was such a weak little girl, and didn't have visible muscles, just skin and squishy stuff, and she wanted to be big and strong. It took a while to explain that a.) she's seven, b.) she can totally lift weights when she's a bit older, c.) her vast amounts of outdoor activity is definitely awesome, and d.) she is EXTREMELY strong for a seven-year-old girl (she can get her 110 pound brother off the ground with a bear-hug lift). You don't need BIG muscles to be strong.  Then I showed her Bruce Lee and Panom Yeerum, and explained they were ten times stronger than me, THEN I showed her this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0xNjAgcYj4#at=17) and she felt better :) 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

my almost 5 year old son is currently lifting with 3lb weights, because he wants to get strong enough to do push ups... (they are almost 10% of his weight! (he's 38 pounds right now)Pretty darned good for a small fry, lol)

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)