Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

There is a theme that runs in my family.

Myself, brother in law, step father and brother from left to right. I had to shave for  meeting at the time so I only had a couple weeks growth going on.

Beards_zpsv2ddchee.jpg

If not for all the patriots logos, this would be a very good picture.

Nearly two weeks in now, coming along nicely.

bd7f8b38e4db9977c518f31d62226fec.jpg

Gonna connect the beard to the chest hair?

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

All that would take would be letting nature its course for a couple of days or so...

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

#firstworldhairymanproblems

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I can definitely appreciate a nice beard, but I'm not particularly talented at growing one.

A part of the problem is that there are patches on my cheeks where hair refuses to grow, which I doubt there's much of a solution to. I usually just end up leaving it as a goatee or a chinstrap. Perhaps I'll have to shave it all off and give it a few weeks to see what happens, but it doesn't look good for my beardly aspirations. I also find it a little annoying that the hair in the mustache/soul patch/goatee area grows in blond when the rest grows in brown; I haven't had blond hair since I was a toddler and everything naturally went brown.

Race - Ambiguously Human | Guild - None

Level - 0 | STR - ? | DEX - ? | STA - ? | CON - ? | WIS - ? | CHA - ?

I have those patches too they very slowly closed up with age, and at 27, had gotten small enough that once my beard got grown in, they weren't noticeable as the hair covered them up. They were the reason I never grew one up until then as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I can definitely appreciate a nice beard, but I'm not particularly talented at growing one.

A part of the problem is that there are patches on my cheeks where hair refuses to grow, which I doubt there's much of a solution to. I usually just end up leaving it as a goatee or a chinstrap. Perhaps I'll have to shave it all off and give it a few weeks to see what happens, but it doesn't look good for my beardly aspirations. I also find it a little annoying that the hair in the mustache/soul patch/goatee area grows in blond when the rest grows in brown; I haven't had blond hair since I was a toddler and everything naturally went brown.

For now, embrace what you can grow and grow it to the best you can.  It honestly took me a long time to get to where I am now.

I want to say it wasn't until my mid to late 20's that my beard started to peak (I'm almost 29 for reference).  I'm going to reveal an inner secret..because I think I feel comfortable enough to do so.  When I was a teenager, I wanted sideburns more than anything..but all I could do was grow peach fuzz..so I tried coloring it..it was horrible.  I wish then that I knew what I know now..we all are blessed with a variety of genetics..and good things to take time..like I said above..embrace what you can do and do it well.  

While I don't know how much truth there is in this, it definitely can't hurt, several beard models (yes that's a thing) have stated that high protein diets help with beard growth.  We also know here it can help with muscle growth and fitness..something to perhaps ponder on.

I've always had a high protein diet, even when fitness or exercise wasn't a priority for me.

I can't confirm or deny that there is necessarily a correlation between magnificent bearditude and maximum protein mastication... but I like the sound of it.

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I've had no issue growing a beard pretty much ever. Mostly b/c my grandfather and father are 2/3 gorilla. Seriously my dad's chest hair is thicker than any sweater I own. I pretty much had full beard growing in at 13 without any missing patches. By the time I was 15 I had to shave in the morning before school, and on Friday's I had to shave again before Football games. 

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Ahhh, yessss! This is a wonderful thread. While I have not made spectacular progress on my fitness goals yet, I am very proud of my beard.

This is about 3 months of growth in.

7THh4QK.jpg

This is about eight months, with regular trimming to keep it clean (but my barber had to close unexpectedly the day of my appointment before my little brother's wedding here).

ZFF2vFb.jpg

I've since had it cut shorter and trimmed the moustache, but that was a major mistake and I'm in the process of growing both back out so I look like my avatar again.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

Excellent facial kevlar there, Grifball. 

Welcome to the Bearded Brotherhood (and sisterhood of those amenable toward we few, we happy few!).

Magnificent beards, people.

Also, I think for people who already have the potential to grandeur beards, the protein and masculinity would help. I can only grow a spiky goatee, and I have eaten a whole lot more protein than I should.

I've always had a pretty protein-heavy diet (love meat...omg meat...), but since tracking what I eat the past couple months, I definitely feel like my beard is growing faster. I get it trimmed once a month professionally by the same barber who does my hair. I've got another two weeks until my next appointment and it could really use a trim already.

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

Trimmed mine up last weekend. Took a little too much off.

8EA73CF5-34A7-45CA-9306-85939C86B78C_zps

500 / 330 / 625

a6a4384ed50862f97a4427e21c1aada7.jpg

Mines feeling pretty scraggly and Mrs Shu is threatening to chop it off. Should probably do something about that.

(Yes I also took a pic because I had a new shirt to show off)

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Lol, same reason I have that pic too.

500 / 330 / 625

My girlfriend does this thing where she makes me scowl at her camera wherever we are that day and then uploads it to her Instagram as "The Adventures of Scowlbeard."

My beard this afternoon:

11024374_1576912562554357_70584728_n.jpg

Yep, that's a bald eagle behind me.

• Like 10

'Merica

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Me with my beard (plus a vest and tie) 

1723988_1561303584145212_469627330_n.jpg

I need to trim under my chin up as its gone very boot strap in length. 

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Continuing the trend of GLs who took pictures of their shirt...

image_zpsyfpnwbyl.jpg

Also, I too, have a beard.  Though a bit on the short-and-scraggly side.  Kind of jealous of my younger brother who has a thicker beard than me.  Ah well.  It'll fill in eventually.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Am I the only one who went through extra efforts to make sure that the image isn't mirrored, as to show off the shirt to the greatest extent? Lazy bums.

RP, you lose weight?

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Am I the only one who went through extra efforts to make sure that the image isn't mirrored, as to show off the shirt to the greatest extent? Lazy bums.

I tried, but my phone wouldn't do the edit and photobucket doesn't seem to let me invert the image either.  Couldn't futz too much with it since I am at work.  And I share and office.  And my back is to the door.

RP, you lose weight?

A bit!  Trying to get back down to 200-ish pounds after my weight skyrocketed for whatever reason the end of last year/start of the year.  It's been less than fun.  But apparently the hard work is showing! (Though my weight I've only lost like, 3-4 pounds in the past few weeks, so you might be seeing some of my recomp efforts.  Huzzah, things almost working!)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School