Sara Kingdom's Rivers of London 5: Spring Cleaning

35 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

To hear them, that's the nature of the beast, common to all perfumes. Everything on Fragrantica has someone talking about letting it rest if they didn't like it initially, especially the oils, which don't have alcohol to stabilize it. I'm not convinced, in part because I haven't heard a good reason as to why, and because it's never the majority of reviews that talk about it being an issue.

Yeah, I call bullshit on that. I can see letting it from from the over-90F outdoor temperature to room temperature before opening it, for reasons I already mentioned, but that's not going to reverse any damage, only confirm it.  Perfumes are not port wine, and I can't think of any good reason for why they should be treated as if they are.

38 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

The oils in particular can have a very noticeable dry down period on the skin and also can change a lot on the skin over a few hours, much more than alcohol based ones. Could the constant vibration of shipping do something, maybe. Maybe also part of it is interaction with my body chemistry.

All perfumes react somehow with the skin they're applied to. The surface pH-level, whatever was applied to the skin before hand (in my case, sunscreen or body lotion), if the skin begins to sweat during the day, etc. That's why real perfume counters advise you to wear that sample they put on your write for a couple of hours at least, before making your purchasing decision. And why a perfume might end up smelling different on me than it does on you, as Everstorm already pointed out. For example, the choco-musk smells overwhelmingly of vanilla and sugar on my skin, and very little else.

I'd be more inclined to blame this than to blame a fraudulent bottle, by the way. It's not exactly Chanel profit margins here.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

15 hours ago, Everstorm said:

That's so interesting that the scent changes over time or even smells different on different people.  I know my sister always loves my perfume on me (always asks what I am wearing) but then she remembers she didn't care for it on herself when I gave her a sample bottle 🤷‍♀️

I've never experienced it first hand. I gather that it's more exaggerated with perfume oils, because alcohol based sprays contain so many volatile molecules that they pretty much immediately do what they're going to do, so you don't get long drydown periods. (And are rumored to be somewhat stabilized by the alcohol, so they don't have such obvious phases.)

In my previous batch, I've just got one that really changes over time. It starts out a nice basic cologne of some sort, but four hours later, it loses the woody, cedary masculine edge and has a softer vanilla undertone. It's a known thing about that one, although I didn't pay attention before I bought it. But I've never had this experience of really hating it when it goes on, and ten or fifteen minutes later thinking it's genuinely great. They say it's not uncommon, even 30-45 minutes with oils.

It may partly be my nose right now. Everything is a bit intense. I'm not liking the chocolate one as much as I usually do.

15 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

All perfumes react somehow with the skin they're applied to.

Yes, that's that I just said. :D

15 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'd be more inclined to blame this than to blame a fraudulent bottle, by the way. It's not exactly Chanel profit margins here.

I'd agree, but I'm informed there are even cheaper knockoff refills available. I guess every level has its grifters.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

16th April, 2024

Dear Inspector Nightingale,

Can I be unsuspended, please?

Yours,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Isaac-Newton-PNG-Isolated-HD-133x200.png

Scientia potestas est

Society of the Wise • Est. 1775

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

16th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

Is your sleep deficit under twenty hours?

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

Detective Chief Inspector, Metropolitan Police

Acting President, Society of the Wise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16th April, 2024

It's only 22 minutes over. That's not very much. It's almost like being under twenty hours.

Yours,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

16th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

I will ask you to produce a weekly plan. That's almost like being unsuspended.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16th April, 2024

It's not the fun part of being unsuspended.

Yours,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

16th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

I would have to agree.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

My God. This exchange reminds me of my job. Except the stationary's prettier.

You could get stationery with Isaac Newton on it.

• Like 2

18th April, 2024

I did a weekly plan, and I've slept enough to come off suspension tomorrow, and most of my current lack of sleep is due to things that my training plan would help me do more reliably. Can I be unsuspended now, please?

Yours,

Sara Kingdom

• Like 4

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

18th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

Yes, all right, that seems reasonable. Don't overdo the training.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

• Like 2

Training Performance Report

Officer: Sara Kingdom

Date: 18/04/24

Department: Special Assessment Unit

Physical Formae

Daily

Crura impello

Arma scindere

Scindere practice set

Bonuses

Boxing practice

Dance

Visit genii locorum

Support

Electrolytes

Hydration

Meds

Vitamins

Meds. Vitamins. Working on hydration.

Scindere practice set. All but one, because you said not to overdo it.

Oh, well done.

Score: 1.5

Mental Formae

Tool

Reversal of desire

Gratitude flow

Cue

Avoiding a task, restless, distracted

Any negative thinking; during daily wrap-up

Score: 

Recovery

2 hours practice, start before noon.

6-8 hours sleep. In bed by midnight 

I got six hours! It took a lot of work. And a lot of time.

Score: 1

Silentium Mentis

Mindfulness

Metta

Cast a magical circle or ground energy

Score:

Home Front Reintegration

Yoga nidra

Podcast

Yoga (regular)

Yoga nidra.

Record Keeping

Make a daily plan

Journal practice

Make a weekly and monthly plan

I made a new plan when my daily plan didn't work.

Adaptation is an art.

Spring Cleaning

Make a daily plan

Project work

Make a weekly project plan

I have a plan. Five minutes each in the two problem zones.

Space reserved for office use

Date rec'd:

Initialed by:

Form ID: Zulu Foxtrot 18.C.68-v2-Jun-1977 (ZF.18.C.68/1977.06)

(Supercedes form 64B from Nov 1932)

For internal use only. Sensitive records. Not to leave the Folly.

• That's Metal 3

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

19th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

I ought to suspend you simply on principle. Is that any way to react to an early reinstatement? You wanted to train, as I recall.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

19th April, 2024

I'm sorry.

But you won't, though, right? Right?

Yours,

Sara Kingdom

• Haha 3

Scientia potestas est

The Folly

Russell Square

London, WC1B 7ZF

19th April, 2024

Dear Sara,

I shouldn't think I'll have to. You'll do it to yourself soon enough.

Yours,

Thomas Nightingale

The YouTube algorithm has been feeding me a lot of Ryder Carroll, designer of the bullet journal. (Who is also an ADHD guy.) I might try the above, when I have more time to focus on new things. (THE IRONY.)

I am finishing off this challenge with a lot of work deadlines that have been keeping me a little preoccupied. Sleep middling, not enough to multitask. (I was technically not hitting suspension criteria. Although I am suspended today, because my Wednesday night sleep was poor.)

I got a full eight hours last night, and have had two short walks and an isometrics workout between work segments, because I can feel my body hating the inactivity of recent work busyness. (It's apparently making the difference between small improvements and backsliding physical health, so I'm making the effort to get more small improvements in.) I think the still very high sleep deficits are not helping. I'm under my bed line, but hovering around my orange line. So I think repairs are not happening, plus lots of work hours sitting down, and my body hates it.

Ugh, I'm sort of exhausted, despite sleep.

• Like 4

Well, the good news is, last night I finished enough work that the pressure is slightly off and I can think about my challenge again! Just in time to.... oh.

Well, I think I've got my next two challenge themes all set, I just need to decide what to actually do on them.

(I really did get an amazing and frankly relieving amount of work done yesterday. If I can do half as well today and tomorrow, I'll be in great shape for next week's deadlines.)

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing the videos. I have only watched the first one so far. I like his idea of daily logging. That is pretty similar to what I used to do, but with more intention. I have been letting my logging fall off. Trying this approach may help.

Yay for getting a lot of work done! I hope that lets you feel more relaxed and better able to sleep.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log