spacer.png

Goals: finances, gym, philosophy, Evening Rest 

This is going to be an Introverts Challenge — I’m depleted and need to refocus and restore. This is not the time to add in new things or extend my reach, especially not with things that involve being out of the Loft. This is the challenge where I channel my inner Library Cat and just curl up and do what needs doing and nothing else. 

Last challenge I started tracking what I do with varying points and categories, and it really helped me see that I already do a lot, and also that medical appointments are taking a huge chunk of time and energy as well as money. I’m going to continue tracking in the same way, since it makes sense and also allows me to see how the little daily things tend to slip first when I’m flagging, and this is a good way to notice early on when I need to make an adjustment before everything falls off the rails.

Druid Things - weekly tasks: returning the compost pail; picking up the milk or the farm share; acupuncture; housekeeping. +20 each. Ideal: 100/week

Cantrips are my daily tasks: making my bed; logging in to work; forum posting; laundry; dishes; you get the idea. +1 each. Ideal: 35/week

Philosophy: - PhD things: +20 each Philosophy Reading spell; +10 each personal reading spell. Ideal: 80 Philosophy points/week; 20 Personal (optional).

.303 Bookworm & other spells: I am tracking how often I have to cast a Rebalance, Restore, Fortify, or Gumption spell or take a Maxalt (potion), and this has helped me see when I’m getting depleted. Having a disabling condition is a weird thing. Tracking helps make the invisible more visible.+10 each spell. Ideal: track each day.

Gym: just going for a morning walk and hitting the steam room and the sauna has done wonders for helping smooth out the TBI issues I was having, and I’d like to continue this. It’s simple and available, and as long as I spend a little time (30-60 minutes) each morning, it has a cumulative effect of helping me be whole. I have come to think of this as my “commute” since I work from home and the gym is next door to my building. +10 each trip to the gym Ideal: 50/week

Finances: Weekly payment to medical or debt. +25 each Ideal: 25/week

Seize the Day: 5000 Steps by noon (preferably before logging in to work) is a pretty big stretch goal, 10 points; Evening Rest (because rest is sacred work), 10 points. Ideal: 50 points/week each.  Medical Appointments just about did me in last challenge, and I’m taking a step back from the medical carousel that comes with disability. 

Social +20 each Marching Band Boosters, Pinball League, and High School Football all happening at once is a lot, Friends. I’m not certain I’m up for all of that, and I’ll definitely be glad when the social calendar calms down a bit. In the meantime, these alliances make a difference in my small world. Ideal: 20/week. Beware any week with more than 40. 80 is right out. 

Stats

Constitution: 13—good food and good rest continue to allow me to have a greater capacity for recovery and healing. Thank you Universe. I don’t expect this to go up much. Maintenance is the focus and the goal.
Strength: 16 — the job wobbles left this a -1, so we’re starting at 16. Definitely looking to improve this.
Intelligence: 17 — the cognitive impairment from last challenge was largely due to all the many appointments and assessments. It will likely take a year to get this back to 18
Dexterity: 15—constraints, o my! Took a major hit at the end of last challenge. Improving this is my primary focus
Wisdom: 16—a step down because of the constraints situation. Seems like the things that happened in Zero Week affected everything, because they did.
Charisma: 17 — one of the few scores that survived last week. Very glad to see that this is as powerful as it is.
Stamina: 9, and woo hoo me! I didn’t think this would hold, and I’m pleased to note that small efforts applied consistently did in fact work. (Who knew?)

TL;DR:

YES: forum posting, gym, rest, healing, daily tasks, Druiding.

NO: additional anything. Just stop and let things be for a minute.

GET THROUGH: Band Boosters, Pinball League, the job thing.

• Like 8

&Heidi

West-Marches Campaign Herb-Gatherer

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

International Cat Day GIF by G5 games

I think this is perfect. I will come snooze on your shelves with you from time to time. ❤️ 

The Universe loves you and wants you to be happy. ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

53 minutes ago, Sovalis said:

International Cat Day GIF by G5 games

I think this is perfect. I will come snooze on your shelves with you from time to time. ❤️ 

The Universe loves you and wants you to be happy. ❤️ 

Happy to set a stack of Octopi books up to welcome you whenever you want!

The Universe loves us and wants us to be happy.

?

33 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

This is a beautiful challenge, perfect for chilly autumnal days when we all could use a cozy cat curled up in a library.

Yes, harvest season is for coziness!

Vintage Stars GIF by Perecz Annabella

Definitely going to be an inwardness challege, and I'm already feeling the hunker-down vibes. 

The temperatures took a dramatic plunge overnight, a serendipitous bout of encouragement to do less, be more from the Universe. 

I'm not going to sugar-coat it: The recent job wobbles and financial messupery have me rattled. Astologers would probably have something to say about this, but for now I think I'll take it as a message that I'm on the right track with taking a deep breath and shoring up who I am in the world and how I go about gathering and spending resources. I did a similar thing in 2014, and the effects were amazing and long-lasting; it was also a lot of emotional work and a period of intense focus. I don't expect it to be easy, but that's okay. I can do hard things.

Today's list is perfectly aligned with the end of Zero Week:

• Finish work projects and submit times cards
  • Go to the bank and file a dispute claim
  • End-of-week housekeeping
  • Therapy appointment
  • Read one essay of Dewey
  • Community Concert
  • Pray

When I first started with NF, I took on some evening pushups and situps before bed. Nothing grand, mind you, just a few of each after I brushed my teeth and put on my pajamas, and this ended up being a time that was centering emotionally, an effect that I hadn't planned on and was a pleasant surprise. I think I might add this back in. Any centering is good centering. All prayer is good prayer. 

❤️ 

• Like 4

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Hallo--I've seen you 'round the forum, but I don't think I've ever actually followed one of your challenges.

Since books and cats are two of my favorite things, this seems an opportune time. :)

4 minutes ago, Heidi said:

When I first started with NF, I took on some evening pushups and situps before bed. Nothing grand, mind you, just a few of each after I brushed my teeth and put on my pajamas, and this ended up being a time that was centering emotionally, an effect that I hadn't planned on and was a pleasant surprise. I think I might add this back in. Any centering is good centering. All prayer is good prayer. 

Hmm... I've never seriously considered pre-bed exercise. Even in small amounts like you describe. I may have to think about this for my own challenge.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sylph said:

Hallo--I've seen you 'round the forum, but I don't think I've ever actually followed one of your challenges.

Since books and cats are two of my favorite things, this seems an opportune time. :)

Hmm... I've never seriously considered pre-bed exercise. Even in small amounts like you describe. I may have to think about this for my own challenge.

Welcome!

Fetch a cup of tea from the Eternal Teapot on the woodstove and grab a book or a blanket or both. 

reading read GIF

&Heidi

Spoiler

When I was drafting my challenge this morning, there was a word I was after that I couldn't quite remember, so I went with Library Cat.

Nidificate.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Darciana said:

I really really really love this. I'm glad you're setting boundaries with yourself. Rest is Good. May your Library Cat Naps be infinitely restorative ?

May Autumn be a restorative blessing for us all.

?‍⬛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

That is a good word. 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/20/2024 at 3:25 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Cat naps, cantrips... All my brain is reading is "catnip"

Catnip is waaay too energetic for what I have in mind for this challenge!

:D 

I had an amazing weekend with Georgia, and then took a long hot bath before bed. This was an excellent choice.

I woke up well on Monday morning and did a nice half-mile outside, then did another half-mile on the track at the gym. The cool snap left me not wanting to get out of bed for the next forever, but once I got outside and started moving, I was in the groove. The steam room and sauna were a blessing and after my shower I walked home feeling centered. Thank you, Universe, for neighborhoods and sidewalks and gyms with a steam room and a sauna.

I met with Georgia's counselor on Monday, and that went very well. I'm glad that they are developing the kind of therapeutic rapport that is helpful.

Work was silly and a lot, as it has been and as it will conitnue to be.

I read one of the four essays that James and I will discuss tomorrow and ate some tuna salad and then fell asleep by 6:30, and slept for twelve hours. 

While this was certainly not what I had planned, I clearly needed it.

This morning was a very slow Maxalt morning, as so many mornings have been recently.

I made tea and it seemed like all I could do. 

Logging in happened, which is good, and over lunch I met with Chairman Neal to discuss the independent study, qualifying exam, and dissertation things. All went well. I'm blessed to have him as my chair. 

I am probably not going to read tonight, and excpect that I'll have another early bedtime and extended sleep session. 

I might be fighting something off that I got exposed to at the Farm Festival with Georgia on Sunday. 

All in all, it's a good week so far, even if it's not always going according to plan.

Life rarely does.

I hope you are having a lovely Week 1.

❤️ 

• Like 3

&Heidi

Spoiler

On 10/18/2024 at 4:02 PM, Heidi said:

When I was drafting my challenge this morning, there was a word I was after that I couldn't quite remember, so I went with Library Cat.

Nidificate.

spacer.png

I have found a new favorite word for this season 💜 I very much like it and resonate with it

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

On 10/20/2024 at 2:25 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Cat naps, cantrips... All my brain is reading is "catnip"

I did the saaaaaaame thing... oops.

57 minutes ago, Heidi said:

All in all, it's a good week so far, even if it's not always going according to plan.

Life rarely does.

I hope you are having a lovely Week 1.

❤️

I hope you can bounce back a bit more and have a lovelier Week 1 ❤️ 

• Like 1

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

Combining some of the narratives:

The messupery-beastie of Zero Week has been identified as an Arcanaloth by @Artemis Prime (many thanks). 

Apparently it got a massive Level 3 Finger of Death spell on me which left me shaken to the core, and then a Mind Blank spell, which took a hit to my Intelligence and Wisdom. This beastie then cast a Chain Lightning Spell that really ripped through me, body, mind, and soul. WHEW.

I was able to counter the worst of it with Spirit Guardians and then those guardians helped enhance my Sheild of Faith spells.  The guardians are making it so that I can cast Dispel Magic, which is helpful, but is taking all my focus and I'm still taking some slashing damage each week. I'm scouting around for Healing Potions, Herbs, and Other Remedies, which is taking up the remaining energy and attention I have. 

No wonder I slept twelve hours last night.

I can tell that this is a perfect enemy for me, given the Fiend's thirst for knowledge and willingness to create false alliances in exchange for information. It's like the anti-librarian, anti-philosopher, and man, given my Fatal Flaw of not being able to leave off answering questions, it has its claws into me pretty deep. I am looking forward to writing the narrative of this. For starters, I have a great Party as traveling comapnions, which helps bloster my spirit. Also, I have Divine Intervention in the form of Sheild of Faith. This is literally keeping me alive right now. 

I also have Insight from Mind of Mercury, which allows me to craft a Plan that is bigger than this effort, one which will help with this battle and leave me stronger than before, if I have the capacity to carry it out. I'm an 11th level Librarian, following the Way of the Cobalt Soul:

From Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn:  Driven by the pursuit of knowledge and its scholars' worship of the Knowing Mentor, the Library of the Cobalt Soul is one of the best-respected and most heavily guarded repositories of tomes, history and information in all of Exandria. People from all lands come to the library to seek knowledge, and those particularly dedicated to the virtues of truth often pledge their minds and bodies to the Cobalt Soul's cause. To become a member of the Cobalt Soul is to give oneself over to a quest dedicated to unveiling life's mysteries, bringing light to the secrets of concealed evil, and guarding the most powerful and dangerous of truth from those whose unwholesome thirst for knowledge might bring death and suffering to others. The monks of the Cobalt Soul are the embodiment of the maxim: "Know your enemy." Through tireless research, they steel themselves against the unrelenting tides of evil. Through rigorous training, they learn to break through their foes' mental and physical defenses. Then, once the fight is done, they record their findings for future generations of monks to study.

Tank said I was at least a level 12 Philosopher becuase of my ability to grant Universal Advice and my immunity to compulsions. I probably leveled up to 13 or 14 since he said that, and if I fight this off, I'm definitely a level 14. If I enact The Plan™ I'll be a level 15 because of Inner Peace.

Arcanaloth_Portrait.png   Arcanaloth_Scroll.png

• That's Metal 4

&Heidi

Spoiler