10 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Beauty And The Beast Books GIF by Disney

🥀💛

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Need a smelloscope!

You know, I don't think I have ever noticed the smell of these ones 🤔  Will have to check tomorrow.  My drift roses are very fragrant, though.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Indigestion made it hard to tell if I was hungry at dinner again today.  Not sure what to do with that one.  I don't usually have this much discomfort.   Maybe need to eat low fiber tomorrow. 

I returned my book to the library.   However Map of the Otherlands was checked out, so I will have to wait.  It had been on the shelf the last few times I went, but of course now that I am ready to read it, someone else wants it, too.

I did find the perfect obelisk for my rambling roses (rose that can't decide if it's a shrub or a climber).  I found the obelisk at the craft store of all places, for half the price of the broken/rusty ones at the garden center.  Win!

The trip to the bookstore for a new journal didn't happen.  I saw some at the craft store, but they were a little smaller than I would like (A5 vs B5), and only 120 gsm paper instead of 160.  They were 1/3 of the price of my last one, though.  I have a little time to decide; I held off on the purchase.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

42 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

The trip to the bookstore for a new journal didn't happen.  I saw some at the craft store, but they were a little smaller than I would like (A5 vs B5), and only 120 gsm paper instead of 160.  They were 1/3 of the price of my last one, though.  I have a little time to decide; I held off on the purchase.

Smart. Those impulse buys simply because it's available will get you every time.

Hope to see pics of the obelisk! Your rose is lovely!

• Like 3

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

CURRENT CHALLENGE: 3, 2, 1... Bake!

15 minutes ago, athousandwords said:

Hope to see pics of the obelisk!

Hard to get a shot that fits the whole thing and shows off the roses, but this is what I have

20240509_174725.thumb.jpg.68d8e0de7aa910c4f73f3a45ec38d161.jpg

It's quite a young rose, one my mother started from a cutting last year.   It doesn't fill out the obelisk yet, but should do in the next year or two.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

8 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I found the obelisk at the craft store of all places, for half the price of the broken/rusty ones at the garden center.  Win!

I love these kind of wins, and it looks awesome!

• Like 1

Level 39 Rogue Ranger, 2024 ROADMAP

Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom; locate the Amulet of Yendor ♀ on Level 26

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 1415, 16, 17, 18, 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Here a bit late but following!  And your roses are envious!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina: Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Oh, that is so pretty, and will be even better as the rose grows!

It's a definite improvement.  The canes are so delicate they can't hold up the roses when they bloom, so they were always laying on the ground.

20230824_151235.thumb.jpg.e983babecd16b1af0fb2f6ec2fb250bd.jpg

They do get more sturdy as the plant matures, and my mother has hers trained as a shrub rose, but I thought I'd like to try something different.   I don't have any climbing roses (yet).

3 hours ago, Silmarilliane said:

I love these kind of wins, and it looks awesome!

Me too!

20 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Here a bit late but following!  And your roses are envious!

Welcome!  Glad to have you! 

No matter how many roses I have, I always want more.  As I told my mother the other day, the best thing to plant with roses are more roses.

I guess I forgot to mention yesterday that I doubled my GMB workout.  Now my shoulders are pleasantly DOMSy.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

That obelisk is so Elven and lovely. Nice find! Can’t wait to see it covered in roses in two years. ;) 

• That's Metal 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Sovalis said:

That obelisk is so Elven and lovely. Nice find! Can’t wait to see it covered in roses in two years. ;) 

Finding exactly what you want at a fair price is the best.  I am loving seeing my gardens coming together.

I made it to a couple bookstores yesterday to look for a new journal, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  I would settle for 120 gsm if I could find a good dot grid B5, but that size seems to be unpopular around here.  The few I did find were lined or blank -- not dotted -- or were almost as expensive as the one I want online, but poorer quality and fewer pages.  🤪  I went ahead and ordered another Scribbles that Matter journal, since I really loved everything about it except the price and hassle of shipping.  I went for white pages instead of black this time, though.  I thought it would be fun to do some nature sketches, and those are easier on white paper.  It should be here on Wednesday, along with the graphite pencils I "had to" order in order to get free shipping. 😏

My son wanted an art lesson, so I gave him some pointers about creating dimension with values.  He acted like I had taught him magic, and spent the evening practicing.   I hung out with him and drew an fun sea slug for Gastropod Art Club.

Hunger went well yesterday,  although stopping at fullness is still an issue, and I notice it more now that I am paying attention to hunger.  This is a good thing.  Probably fullness will be a goal next challenge, if I think hunger is locked down.

Something I ate seems to have disagreed with me, however, as I was rather violently ill last night.  I'm feeling okay, now, but wondering if hitting the pool according to plan is wise.  Maybe I'll give it a few hours before I decide.  I would really like to get it in today, since we have plans to go to an air show tomorrow all day, so it's my last chance for this week.

My blackberries and cream daylilies are blooming

20240511_093309.thumb.jpg.d279363b16bdee85b80b47838eaf1c17.jpg

Aren't these mad whirlies cool?  It's what left after the clematis blooms.

20240511_093355.thumb.jpg.92d8d52796c03b9a64fc8e7c14cf62ec.jpg

• Like 7

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

I made it to a couple bookstores yesterday to look for a new journal, but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.  I would settle for 120 gsm if I could find a good dot grid B5, but that size seems to be unpopular around here.  The few I did find were lined or blank -- not dotted -- or were almost as expensive as the one I want online, but poorer quality and fewer pages.  🤪  I went ahead and ordered another Scribbles that Matter journal, since I really loved everything about it except the price and hassle of shipping.  I went for white pages instead of black this time, though.  I thought it would be fun to do some nature sketches, and those are easier on white paper.  It should be here on Wednesday, along with the graphite pencils I "had to" order in order to get free shipping. 😏

Also struggling to finding dotted journals locally. I keep looking when i see them in shops, but they only seem to sell lined journals round here. Actually browsing Scribbles that matter website trying to work out if they have enough pages for me (they do, i did the maths). So its good to hear they’re nice quality. 

how is a B5 to use? Im using a slightly under A5 right now and it can be a bit of a squeeze at times with the graphs and calendars 

oh no, hope your feeling better. 

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4

That daylily is amazing! And it's very cool that you are a magic teacher :D 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Actually browsing Scribbles that matter website trying to work out if they have enough pages for me (they do, i did the maths). So its good to hear they’re nice quality. 

I definitely recommend.   They have several options for paper, but the 160 will stand up even to paint, if that's your thing.  I used gouache in mine, and the paper actually wrinkled less than my art paper typically does.  If you plan to stick to marker, the 120 is probably fine.

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

how is a B5 to use? Im using a slightly under A5 right now and it can be a bit of a squeeze at times with the graphs and calendars 

I agree, the A5s feel too small to me, especially for larger spreads like monthlies/weeklies.  B5 is big enough for most things I do, without jumping to full-page notebook style, which feels somewhat impersonal, not cozy journal.

2 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

oh no, hope your feeling better. 

Definitely feeling better than I have in a few days, tbh.  I am going gentle on my stomach with easily digested, low-fat foods and it seems to be helping.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

That daylily is amazing! And it's very cool that you are a magic teacher :D 

I like the daylilies  too!  But I might switch up where I put them for next year.  I don't think I quite have the right spot for maximum effect.  Fortunately, they are quite easy to move (really should be at least split every 2-3 years) so they are quite adaptable.

#artwitch

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

12 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

They have several options for paper, but the 160 will stand up even to paint, if that's your thing.  I used gouache in mine, and the paper actually wrinkled less than my art paper typically does.  If you plan to stick to marker, the 120 is probably fine.

I will probubly err on the side of 160. Theres some water based marker techniques ive wanted to try where you blend them on a palette with a wet brush. Gives you a watercolour like effect apparently. 

15 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

B5 is big enough for most things I do, without jumping to full-page notebook style, which feels somewhat impersonal, not cozy journal

might give it a go sometime. The A5 does have the upside of being incredibly portable, which is do like. Not that i take it out of the house as a rule

17 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Definitely feeling better than I have in a few days, tbh.  I am going gentle on my stomach with easily digested, low-fat foods and it seems to be helping

. Always sensible. 

18 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

ike the daylilies  too!  But I might switch up where I put them for next year.  I don't think I quite have the right spot for maximum effect.  Fortunately, they are quite easy to move (really should be at least split every 2-3 years) so they are quite adaptable

The day lillies are awesome. I do adore them so much. Waiting for yours to come up here (we have he classic orange ones). 

• Like 2

Theres some water based marker techniques ive wanted to try where you blend them on a palette with a wet brush. Gives you a watercolour like effect apparently. 

Ooh, sounds lovely!

The A5 does have the upside of being incredibly portable, which is do like. Not that i take it out of the house as a rule

True, smaller is more discreet and portable, but as you said, I really don't take mine out.

Waiting for yours to come up here (we have he classic orange ones). 

My mother loves those, but I never see them sold around here.  I wonder if that would be a good gift idea for her 🤔 

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

8 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

My mother loves those, but I never see them sold around here.  I wonder if that would be a good gift idea for her 🤔 

You can buy them as dry bulbs, so you should be able to get them through the post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Hunger went well yesterday,  although stopping at fullness is still an issue, and I notice it more now that I am paying attention to hunger.  This is a good thing.  Probably fullness will be a goal next challenge, if I think hunger is locked down.

That is awesome progress. Stopping when full is definitely a hard level skill. I am still trying to semi master it.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 5/11/2024 at 3:50 PM, Everstorm said:

My son wanted an art lesson, so I gave him some pointers about creating dimension with values.  He acted like I had taught him magic, and spent the evening practicing.   I hung out with him and drew an fun sea slug for Gastropod Art Club.

I love this. 

The whirlies are adorable, they’re like little woodland fairy creatures. ☺️

• Like 1
On 5/11/2024 at 3:16 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

You can buy them as dry bulbs, so you should be able to get them through the post.

I looked into it, but apparently they are considered invasive here 😪  What a shame.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:27 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

this kind of stuff. You can do some really cool things when you add water to them in various ways. 

On 5/11/2024 at 4:04 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

ooh, found another good one. 

That's so cool!

On 5/11/2024 at 4:10 PM, Elastigirl said:

That is awesome progress. Stopping when full is definitely a hard level skill. I am still trying to semi master it.

I know that when I relied solely on hunger/fullness were really the only times I reached a healthy weight.  The problem is that my hunger is so unreliable that it's hard to balance intuitive eating with family meal times.  Still trying to figure that one out.

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I love this. 

The whirlies are adorable, they’re like little woodland fairy creatures. ☺️

🧚‍♂️ 💚

Tired Fuck Me GIF

I am never making a mock death challenge again.  For no reason whatsoever, my shoulder is completely shot.  I woke up yesterday feeling fine, but as the day went on (and I did nothing more strenuous than shopping) it became increasingly tender and weak.  I hoped I could just sleep it off, but if anything, it's worse this morning.  It's so stiff and sore that it was a major project just to roll out of bed.  And of course both swimming and GMB rely heavily on 2 functioning shoulders.  Why?  Why, I ask you?

Some wins and losses and draws on the hunger front.  As I mentioned above, social eating at family meal times seem to be the hardest for me.  On Saturday I joined the family for dinner, even though I had eaten too large of a lunch to be hungry for it at the time.  However, I did talk my self out of joining everyone who was snacking before bed.  On Sunday I wasn't hungry when we stopped for lunch after a truly enjoyable trip to my favorite garden center (out of town).  I did order some onion rings, ate half of them, and stopped there.  That was my whole lunch and I wasn't hungry again until dinner.  I guess I call that a draw.

I hope everyone else had a lovely weekend.  In spite of the bum shoulder, my Mother's Day was just about perfect.😁

20240512_124356.thumb.jpg.4184b121841805512ee74c2f4222d394.jpg

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

10 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

looked into it, but apparently they are considered invasive here 😪  What a shame

Oh, what a shame. Maybe there’s another lilly that you can get instead. 
we get These here. They get called naked ladies (but for the love of god do not google that 😆) or jersey lillies. 

15 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

am never making a mock death challenge again.  For no reason whatsoever, my shoulder is completely shot.  I woke up yesterday feeling fine, but as the day went on (and I did nothing more strenuous than shopping) it became increasingly tender and weak.  I hoped I could just sleep it off, but if anything, it's worse this morning.  It's so stiff and sore that it was a major project just to roll out of bed.  And of course both swimming and GMB rely heavily on 2 functioning shoulders.  Why?  Why, I ask you

Oh no ☹️. That sucks

• Like 1

Bummer about your shoulder, Ever. I hope it smooths out soon. ❤️

That's a satisfying haul of plants!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

A trunk filled with flowers is a good day. Hope the shoulder heals well. Yeah, I'm not really sure there is a "perfect" answer to intuitive eating and family scheduling.  I  have it sort of figured out, but then today we need to eat dinner earlier, so  that means I will probably end  up needing to eat a lighter lunch, and I hope I remember that. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27