Forums are back in action! ×

Time to be a superhero.

Hello. I don't like introducing myself; I've always been the shy type. But I realize that if I don't make myself be responsible to somebody (like an awesome community of fellow nerds, for instance), I'm probably going to fail in my goals, so here goes. My name's Deveney, or Dev, and if I had to label my race I'd say human: just about average for a female physique at 5'6"-ish and 130lbs. I signed up in December when I discovered this site, but only got around to posting my introduction now; how's that for procrastination? I am a terrible procrastinator. I will literally do anything else if it means I can avoid doing the thing I'm supposed to . For this reason I have sabatoged all of my previous attempts at fitness, and frankly, I think it's time I kicked that particular habit. And although my family eats well, and I get regular exercise (mostly consisting of farmwork, which is pretty great), for many years I've had an insatiable sweet tooth that's begun turning into a real problem, threatening to undermine all of the benefits I should be getting from my diet.

To give you a bit of backstory, I've been taking regular Tae Kwon Do classes for nearly seven years. My proudest moment was last year when, because I was forced to miss a belt test due to illness the year before, I was allowed to test for two belt levels at the same time to make up for the lost test. For a year I busted my backside working for it, endlessly drilling moves at both the belt level I hoped to achieve and the one after that, giving my all towards making sure that I passed that next belt test. Last May I finally tested. I passed -- both belt levels. It felt awesome. I had worked steadily for a year to achieve what I wanted even though it had seemed pretty darn impossible, and when I got it, I felt like a superhero.

Fast forward six months, and I had gone from feeling "superhero" to feeling "bump on a log". Without anything to work for, without anything to push myself towards, I began to lose all of that awesome momentum. Tae Kwon Do became just another thing I did every week. By the time Christmas rolled around, I was feeling pretty weak.

So I've decided to assign myself some new goals. They're more long-term than double-belt testing in a year's time, but they're going to require everyday dedication to accomplish. And once I do accomplish them, I'm going to feel awesome.

I love the look and philosophy of parkour. I've made that one of my goals.

I've been thinking of a career in law enforcement -- entry-level physical requirements for police is another of my goals.

The nerdiest goal of all is directly related to the fact that my brother and I are joining the SCA this year: I've decided to add a "Sir" to my name and become a Knight of the SCA.

All of these goals will take tons of hard work and won't allow for any procrastination. That's great. It's time I stopped being a bump on a log and started being a superhero again; Nerd Fitness is going to help me accomplish that.

Welcome to the Rebellion Dev!

You definitely came to the right place for the extra push and accountability you need! We all want to be superheroes!

I'm starting to learn Parkour right now actually! If on the rare chance you like in Colorado, US we could learn together! On the much more probably chance that you don't, maybe we could just be accountability partners if you wanted someone to do that? Either way, I'm crazy excited. Just get started and you feel it!

Let's get to work!

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

Welcome to the Rebellion! I love your goals. They definitely sound achievable and long-term is always good to have in mind if you ever stall out on the short-term. Just don't overwhelm yourself with getting there. One step at a time :)

Congrats on the belts though! Great accomplishment. Stick around, ask questions, and pop by chat sometime. Glad to have you here!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Welcome to the rebellion...

I'm probably going to fail in my goals, so here goes

Why would you say that? From the intro I just read it seems like you're pretty good at reaching the goals you set for yourself...Tae Kwon Do, 2 belts, that's MAJORLY cool!!! I'd say you can achieve whatever you set your mind to do...you just have to set your mind to do it! 

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

This sounds a whole lot like I was feeling a little more than a year ago. It's a big part of why I'm diving in now. I'd just passed a major belt test, somewhat unexpectedly (but that's its own story). Then, after a short time, I got that same "bump on a log" feeling. I wish you all the best of luck in your fitness goals. You already seem to have the motivation and know-how... you've got this.

Also, SCA will be a great counterpoint to Tae Kwon Do; I think you'll really enjoy it.  :pride:

Level 3 Half-Elf Assassin

STR= 9.5  DEX= 14  STA=4  CON=3  WIS=3  CHA=2

Current Challenge

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're right."  ~Henry Ford