Forums are back in action! ×

The First Week of School wrap up.

It wasn’t terrible.  I don’t want to jinx it, and you never know what’ll happen after everyone shows up, but at this point I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to teach this year. Which is surprising because this is the group that I had for an after school STEM class where I spent the whole time teaching them not to jump on each other when they were angry and how to work together instead of teaching the science.  Anyway... the whole week’s a blur; I can’t recall anything that stands out right now, but it went well enough. Next week will be a restart as the rest show up.

One day Slothboy came home from school with his clothes in a bag covered in enough blood that he must have looked like Carrie. His friend was swinging his jacket around and the zipper nicked his forehead, a tiny BB-sized nick that turned out to be a gusher. 

Not much fitnessing happened. Wednesday I went on a short, but fast ride.  25 miles and a bunch of Strava PRs.  I guess the time off didn’t hurt me much. I was going to go on a ride Friday after work, but Mrs. Sloth offered me the choice of staying home and having Indian tacos made with real buffalo butt or what ever leftovers I could scavenge after a ride. What could I do?  Today (Saturday) I went on a 35 mile ride.  I was planning on 40-45, but the lack of saddle time was giving me a sore ass.  No Strava PRs, but enough 3rds to make me feel good about the ride. 

I was going up one of the steepest hills in the area.  Going pretty hard, but not really hard.  Maybe 9 or 10 miles an hour and a guy flew by me doing 20 or so.  I was beating myself up when I noticed it was an electric bike. It looked fun. 

Thansk for your patience nerd friends.  I should be back to regular posting now. 

• Like 18

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth offered me the choice of staying home and having Indian tacos made with real buffalo butt or what ever leftovers I could scavenge after a ride. What could I do?  

It's almost like she didn't even offer up a choice there

Very scary about Slothboy, I would have freaked

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

One day Slothboy came home from school with his clothes in a bag covered in enough blood that he must have looked like Carrie. His friend was swinging his jacket around and the zipper nicked his forehead, a tiny BB-sized nick that turned out to be a gusher.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Head wounds bleed a lot! When Adam was still in pre-school (4yrs old) he jumped out of the way of a child on a swing going wild, and cut the back of his head on the concrete fencing. Small cut, maybe 1cm long, not deep at all. The teachers didn't phone to notify me, so when I picked him up at lunch time, they told me casually not to freak out because of all the blood over his t-shirt. I waited till we came back from the dr. to freak out. The dr. insisted on putting in stitches though.

Had two more incidences with Adam and Rocco and gushing head cuts. Glad Slothboy is ok and it wasn't serious or a fight.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It wasn’t terrible.  I don’t want to jinx it, and you never know what’ll happen after everyone shows up, but at this point I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to teach this year.

This is a good good thing.  Sending all my spare good vibes your way that this school year is good to you!!!

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Indian tacos made with real buffalo butt

Is.... is this an Indian thing or..............

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Indian Tacos... oh my goodness.  With fry bread?  That stuff is the most amazing stuff on the planet.    I have nowhere to get it here, but when I've gone on my travels, especially to the southwest, I make sure to always get some.     I am jellies.

Everyone's been in a whirlwind lately, but last hurrah of summer, and now the long routine sets in.  (Gosh I hope so, I do much better while Routine-ing.)

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

On 9/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, Starpuck said:

Everyone's been in a whirlwind lately, but last hurrah of summer, and now the long routine sets in.  (Gosh I hope so, I do much better while Routine-ing.)

My oldest son is such a creature of routine it will take him at least the next 2 weeks before he's taken to the new routine. As such he is always a victim of the "summer slide" when the school year starts. But, my wife is so happy to be back to the normal routine where everyone has a set schedule. I'm just happy I'm not the only one that has to get up and go get something done :P 

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

9 hours ago, jstanlick said:

But, my wife is so happy to be back to the normal routine where everyone has a set schedule. I'm just happy I'm not the only one that has to get up and go get something done :P 

We are lucky that we basically set our own schedule, but I also prefer a set routine. As much as I don't like driving around, when "school" starts and thus the boys' extra-murals, it does make things easier when they can get rid of some of their energy away from me, and I have some "me" time.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 9:05 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I once got a cut in my forehead diving to save a basketball from going out of bounds in gym class. Went head first into one of those mobile poles they use to hold volleyball nets. It didn't really hurt that bad so I stood up, then said I was ready to play again. Everyone in the game just sort of stopped and stared at me. It was at that point I realized blood was flowing quite steadily down my nose already. Ended up being 4 stitches to the head right on my hairline, but my folks were called right away to take me to the doc. 

Head wounds are fun. 

• Like 3

Man... I must have literal thick skin!    (Not figurative, I get crushed pretty easily)  But I took a puck to the forehead without my helmet on and had a lump the size of a second head and it didn't break the surface... (I kind of wish it did... maybe the swelling wouldn't have been so bad.)
My most flattering picture, EVER!  (A few days post puck hit)

Spoiler

11218063_10206918833759713_4746117872995

• Like 3

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

45 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Man... I must have literal thick skin!    (Not figurative, I get crushed pretty easily)  But I took a puck to the forehead without my helmet on and had a lump the size of a second head and it didn't break the surface... (I kind of wish it did... maybe the swelling wouldn't have been so bad.)

Hide contents

But the black eyes?  Same injury or...?

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Hide contents

Ow! Very impressive.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 9/1/2018 at 10:05 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I was beating myself up when I noticed it was an electric bike. It looked fun. 

I get passed by these at Stone Mountain all the time and I'm like "motherpusbucke- oh, wait. Never mind."

I would never presume to tell you what to wear for Halloween, but I came across this in a store and... well... you should wear this.

the actual product is, if possible, even more terrifying

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

56 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

But the black eyes?  Same injury or...?

Yeah, they were the result of the swelling following the laws of gravity.  :P   "It's all downhill from here" as they say.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

On September 2, 2018 at 12:42 AM, WhiteGhost said:

It's almost like she didn't even offer up a choice there

We've had a few gushing head wounds around here.  They're not that big of a deal any more.

On September 2, 2018 at 2:54 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Head wounds bleed a lot! When Adam was still in pre-school (4yrs old) he jumped out of the way of a child on a swing going wild, and cut the back of his head on the concrete fencing. Small cut, maybe 1cm long, not deep at all. The teachers didn't phone to notify me, so when I picked him up at lunch time, they told me casually not to freak out because of all the blood over his t-shirt. I waited till we came back from the dr. to freak out. The dr. insisted on putting in stitches though.

Had two more incidences with Adam and Rocco and gushing head cuts. Glad Slothboy is ok and it wasn't serious or a fight.

Hah.  I'm glad it wasn't a fight this time either.  Slothboy has had stitches twice now and Slothgirl had to have most of her tongue reattached once.  The regular hospital visits are keeping me from being financially sound.  Next time we need stitches we're going to urgent care, it's cheaper and quicker.

On September 2, 2018 at 10:06 AM, shaar said:

This is a good good thing.  Sending all my spare good vibes your way that this school year is good to you!!!

Is.... is this an Indian thing or..............

Indian tacos are great.  Take Indian fry bread and put American taco fixings on top.  I'm sure they're terrible for you, but they taste awesome.

On September 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Starpuck said:

Indian Tacos... oh my goodness.  With fry bread?  That stuff is the most amazing stuff on the planet.    I have nowhere to get it here, but when I've gone on my travels, especially to the southwest, I make sure to always get some.     I am jellies.

Navajo fry bread and tacos are the best. I have a few relatives in Chicago; I'm sure they're available somewhere, but you'd have to travel into the city.

I do much better on routine too, but I much prefer the routine where I sleep until 8:30 to the one where I get up at 5:00.

On September 4, 2018 at 2:54 PM, jstanlick said:

My oldest son is such a creature of routine it will take him at least the next 2 weeks before he's taken to the new routine. As such he is always a victim of the "summer slide" when the school year starts. But, my wife is so happy to be back to the normal routine where everyone has a set schedule. I'm just happy I'm not the only one that has to get up and go get something done :P 

Hah.  Mrs. Sloth was in your position.  For familial bliss we had to figure out a way for her to have summers off too.  We're a little broker, but we have a lot of fun.

On September 5, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Rooks said:

I once got a cut in my forehead diving to save a basketball from going out of bounds in gym class. Went head first into one of those mobile poles they use to hold volleyball nets. It didn't really hurt that bad so I stood up, then said I was ready to play again. Everyone in the game just sort of stopped and stared at me. It was at that point I realized blood was flowing quite steadily down my nose already. Ended up being 4 stitches to the head right on my hairline, but my folks were called right away to take me to the doc. 

Head wounds are fun. 

Nice.  Your classmates will always remember you.

On September 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Starpuck said:

Hide contents

You look very badass; I wouldn't mess with you.

On September 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I get passed by these at Stone Mountain all the time and I'm like "motherpusbucke- oh, wait. Never mind."

I would never presume to tell you what to wear for Halloween, but I came across this in a store and... well... you should wear this.

the actual product is, if possible, even more terrifying

I can't find that online... It looks like I'll have to be a SandPerson again.

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

It looks like I lied about posting regularly.  Not a whole lot has happened.  The second week of school went pretty well, but today it is obvious the honeymoon is over.  

Let's see.

Monday - it was raining when I had a block of time to ride.  We saw the Teen Titans movie at the cheap theater.

Tuesday - it was raining when I had a block of time to train.  

Wednesday - it was gorgeous out, but I got a text that MIL changed her plans and was going to stay with us so I cleaned the house.

Thursday - I had some time and got 25 miles in.  Minimal Effective Dose.

Friday - we packed up and went to a state park to camp near our nephew's wedding.  It was nice, they had BBQ, I walked in the woods with the kids to look for coyotes when we got bored.

Saturday - I got a 30 mile ride in and went to the wedding.

Sunday - we did a long family hike.  Sign said rugged, but it was pretty easy.  Came home.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I walked in the woods with the kids to look for coyotes when we got bored.

YEEEE did you see any?

We have coyotes roaming around The Mountain here and on our second night Finn and I heard some yipping from behind the house, WOOO NATURE PLS DON'T EAT ME

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

58 minutes ago, shaar said:

YEEEE did you see any?

We have coyotes roaming around The Mountain here and on our second night Finn and I heard some yipping from behind the house, WOOO NATURE PLS DON'T EAT ME

Coyotes are easy to troll. You can fake howl when they are around and get them to respond.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

YEEEE did you see any?

Hah. I wish. I love when you’re camping and you hear the loud howling coyote party. I’ve only ever seen one from the car.

The wedding was in an old barn far down a dirt road. There was an extremely large field surrounded by wooded hills. We saw about a dozen deer, some large paw prints, and off in the distance something smaller than a deer (fox? fat raccoon?) that I convinced the kids was a coyote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Slothgirl had to have most of her tongue reattached once.

Oh my word! I would have freaked out for sure.

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was nice, they had BBQ, I walked in the woods with the kids to look for coyotes when we got bored.

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The wedding was in an old barn far down a dirt road. There was an extremely large field surrounded by wooded hills. We saw about a dozen deer, some large paw prints, and off in the distance something smaller than a deer (fox? fat raccoon?) that I convinced the kids was a coyote.

This wedding sounds great! Glad you had some good family time, walking around, sightseeing, having BBQ.

And woot! for two rides during the week.

How was the TT movie? Kid want to go see it. I think I do too.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

12 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Slothgirl had to have most of her tongue reattached once.

wait, whaaaaat? aaaaaaaaaghglafo;isjelnrfovh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 9/11/2018 at 3:00 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I walked in the woods with the kids to look for coyotes when we got bored.

That reminds of a time when I was about 8 or 9 years old.  We lived right on the edge of town so if walked out the front door and across the street we were literally in the foothills.  One day my neighbor and I (about the same age as me) discovered there was a coyote that had been prowling around our tree fort, so we decided we wanted to try and catch it.  We spent all day digging a giant pit (actually about 2 feet deep, but we thought it was enormous :D ), and put sharpened sticks in the bottom of the pit and covered it with sticks and then covered those with grass.  Then we tied a big piece of meat from the rope to the tree fort (which was right above the pit) and went home for the night expecting to have caught ourselves a coyote by the next morning. 

Needless to say we were sorely disappointed (and out a big chunk of meat) when we showed up the next morning :D :D :D 

• Like 7
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I come back to talk of coyotes and re-attaching tongues? Good to see things are still interesting in sloth world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Man, I gag every time I brush my tongue while brushing my teeth, so this recent turn of conversation has me Eeryurrrk! 

tenor.gif

• Sad 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler