Forums are back in action! ×

Battle Kitten: Ascension

Just now, Owlet said:

I feel your pain! I want one so bad. And a couple of bunnies. And a pony. I think that's it. Haha.

You aren't thinking outside the box enough (said the woman who is saving up for a fence so we can get chickens). 

For the record, cats are great for stress relief. You should get one.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, fleaball said:

Mehhh I was in a decent mood despite being tired af but now the anxiety has gone and killed that. Maybe I'll finally drag my ass to the cat cafe this weekend. I did buy myself a discounted gift card to Lush so I can buy fancy things. Not super discounted but I will take saving $6 over nothing. It feels a little wasteful because their shit's so expensive even though it's good quality. But I need new lotion and a face mask so why the fuck not. I really want one of the ridiculously bright eyeliners they have but probably couldn't get away with wearing it to work and also wouldn't be able to match it anyway. Boo. 

635596573662566007-247047096_tumblr_nb1y

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

Portland has a cat cafe that offers cat yoga on Sundays. They bring in shelter cats to help them get/stay socialized with humans (& maybe get adopted). 

That's what this one does. They're all on loan (so to speak) from the humane society. I think they have yoga too but iirc it's at ass o'clock in the morning and too much of a hassle for me to get to. I think they have a wine and movie night too?

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

These must be some other, unknown animal referred to as "cats" because if I try to do yoga within the same county as my cat (recently cats :apologetic:) I'd be D-E-D dead because they'd have finally realised their ultimate life goal and murdered me in what would look like a very embarassing fat-girl-dies-in-yoga-accident-no-cats-suspected-at-all-cause-she-a-dumb-bitch sort of situation

• Like 7

I'm gonna fucking scream. I had to register my internship with my school in order to check off a box on my graduation requirements, not to do it for credit. The instructions said there's no academic component to non-credit internships. It's registered as 0 credits, but now I'm in a class on Blackboard that says "welcome to this class which is designed to supplement your for-credit internship" and a whole bunch of other language that was in the instructions for for-credit ones but NOT mine. And it requires blog posts, some other papers, and 4 online meetings from 7a-8a. Plus an evaluation from my advisor. This is severe bullshit. When I met with my advisor last year she said there was no additional work. When I was trying to register this last semester I talked to an interim advisor he didn't say anything about it. And now I can't even get a response from my new advisor about what the fuck is happening here. 

I just want to finish my shit and fucking graduate. I don't want to deal with all of this bullshit. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hurr durr the prof for this internship thing is an idiot. Apparently he's the one assigned to "teach" the non-credit "class" that we have to be in for the system to recognize that we fulfilled the requirement. But he also supervises the for-credit classes, so he got the groups mixed up. But he's still an idiot because he's sent he same email 4 times with dates for last semester and all kinds of fun shit. He sent another essentially saying "lol my bad" so no, I don't have to do extra work. Yay. Still doesn't explain why my advisor couldn't respond to an email in 48 hours. 

Ugh I'm so fucking grumpy. On the bright side, my stupid research advisor actually signed the form I left for her (without a courtesy "hey I did it"). Buuuut the woman I research assistant for who never responded to any of my emails last semester said she'd leave work for me in her mailbox and surprise, she hasn't. I certainly won't complain if she neglects to give me work again but I'm also not going to chase her all semester because I don't have time for her shit. 

Rawr. I don't want to be in class. I might be hangry? I had food but maybe not enough. Also as much as I'm going to like this class there's no one I'm really friends with so sad kitty. Although ooh it looks like that one girl I wanted to avoid dropped the class so yay. 

• Like 8

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

False alarm. She's still here. @god why

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, Countess D'If said:

These must be some other, unknown animal referred to as "cats" because if I try to do yoga within the same county as my cat (recently cats :apologetic:) I'd be D-E-D dead because they'd have finally realised their ultimate life goal and murdered me in what would look like a very embarassing fat-girl-dies-in-yoga-accident-no-cats-suspected-at-all-cause-she-a-dumb-bitch sort of situation

From what I've seen, little yoga takes place because the cats kick the humans off the mats. 

• Like 7

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Your school seems to employ a lot of professors of the disorganized clownshoes variety. I imagine they must be pretty well-respected in their various fields to get away with random incompetence like that. Like seriously, do you have any profs who are on the ball? In my experience that's how academia works. The more brilliant and famous you are in your field, the less able you are to do things like send emails or fill in forms (and the less you care). 

Or maybe the administration is so disorganized they don't notice the profs flaking out. That'd explain your string of unhelpful academic advisors...

On the bright side, you're almost done. And that girl is pretty much guaranteed not to try to kiss you in class? Small victories...

• Like 6

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21 ~ 22

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

7 minutes ago, Severine said:

Your school seems to employ a lot of professors of the disorganized clownshoes variety. I imagine they must be pretty well-respected in their various fields to get away with random incompetence like that. Like seriously, do you have any profs who are on the ball? In my experience that's how academia works. The more brilliant and famous you are in your field, the less able you are to do things like send emails or fill in forms (and the less you care). 

Or maybe the administration is so disorganized they don't notice the profs flaking out. That'd explain your string of unhelpful academic advisors...

On the bright side, you're almost done. And that girl is pretty much guaranteed not to try to kiss you in class? Small victories...

Uhhhh come to think of it I've only had one prof who was really on top of her shit.  And she was the saving grace of my spring semester last year because hoo boy my other two classes were absolute shitshows. My first semester I definitely had someone who very clearly gave zero fucks because she has tenure and apparently does a lot of work with the USG. Idk what the excuse is for the advisors but everyone agrees they suck across the board. And that office hasn't been fully staffed since I started either. 

Haha I certainly hope she won't kiss me in class. The problem is it's slightly more awkward because I did the totally mature adult thing the day after when she apologized "if she did anything appropriate" and was like "lol i totally blacked out idk what ur talking about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " A+ for Flea. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

K has apparently gone to stay at her friend's empty place. I texted roommate this morning asking if she knew whether this girl was alive because she left Sunday, hasn't come back as far as I can tell, but all her shit is still at our house. Including her computer. So while I don't particularly care for her, I was wondering if this was going to turn into an episode of a crime show if she just magically disappeared. I thought of texting her myself and asking if she was going to come back for her shit or should I sell it on eBay but that's too much effort considering I don't actually want to talk to her period.

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Academic bullshit. One of the reasons I'm unsure if I will ever get a degree despite loving to learn/study.

• Like 4

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

4 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Academic bullshit. One of the reasons I'm unsure if I will ever get a degree despite loving to learn/study.

I sometimes question whether it's worth it. Of course in the current climate on the U.S. it's pretty necessary to have at least a BA/BS, but sometimes this MA is making me wonder what I was smoking when I thought it would be a good idea. 

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

K has apparently gone to stay at her friend's empty place. I texted roommate this morning asking if she knew whether this girl was alive because she left Sunday, hasn't come back as far as I can tell, but all her shit is still at our house. Including her computer. So while I don't particularly care for her, I was wondering if this was going to turn into an episode of a crime show if she just magically disappeared. I thought of texting her myself and asking if she was going to come back for her shit or should I sell it on eBay but that's too much effort considering I don't actually want to talk to her period.

Fun story - a few years back I had a flatmate whose father came to 'visit' a few times and then ended up basically living with us. Rent free. Did not clean. Was awkward as hell and somehow managed to insult us every time we talked to him. We ended up kicking the flatmate out because she was terrible to live with and 2 weeks after she'd left we still had all of his worldly possessions at our house :/ called him up and reminded him of the 2 week deal we had for him to move his stuff or we'd put it on the street and he threatened to call the cops. We laughed and said go on, we'd love to talk to them. He came and got his stuff the next morning. 

• Like 6

One thing to remember is they have your money, so probably pretty much don't care if you learn anything...

• Like 4

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 1/25/2017 at 5:10 PM, fleaball said:

I sometimes question whether it's worth it. Of course in the current climate on the U.S. it's pretty necessary to have at least a BA/BS, but sometimes this MA is making me wonder what I was smoking when I thought it would be a good idea. 

Well, technically you need a BA/BS in Sweden too, depending on what job you want. None of my two working brothers have it. I don't have it, but mostly because I went with writing instead. I am kinda thinking of picking up online courses one at a time or so over the next few years to get a BA/BS together, but first I have some other stuff I need to clear from my deck.

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

4 minutes ago, RES said:

One thing to remember is they have your money, so probably pretty much don't care if you learn anything...

Someone in class last night made a comment about the school only wanting to produce future donors and not really caring about what we get out of it. So accurate. 

Also I think it's fitting that I only noticed we're on page 69 while reading your post. Good timing. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

59 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Well, technically you need a BA/BS in Sweden too, depending on what job you want. None of my two working brothers have it. I don't have it, but mostly because I went with writing instead. I am kinda thinking of picking up online courses one at a time or so over the next few years to get a BA/BS together, but first I have some other stuff I need to clear from my deck.

I think it's dumb for them to be required. There are definitely jobs where they're not necessary. I think you have a good plan if you really want one though. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I think it's dumb for them to be required. There are definitely jobs where they're not necessary. I think you have a good plan if you really want one though. 

I agree it is dumb. It is also dumb that it is the main way to show you are educated. Especially since I think schools' ways of checking if you've learned something sucks. But that is a long rant that I'm sure you guys can live without.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I agree it is dumb. It is also dumb that it is the main way to show you are educated. Especially since I think schools' ways of checking if you've learned something sucks. But that is a long rant that I'm sure you guys can live without.

I totally agree with you here and probably agree with your entire rant. But yeah lets not get into because I'll get angry at the world and I don't have the energy for that right now. ._.

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi