Forums are back in action! ×

4 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Also, I usually have cold weather here in Minnesota (especially in Duluth) and can use the garage as a very big refrigerator.  

That's how I used to roll in Iowa--turkey in a food-safe bucket of brine parked by the garage door overnight.  I've only been able to do that once since moving to Oklahoma, and I didn't enjoy that winter at all.  :D

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is awesome! Also, your menu sounds delicious! We need to discuss this baked squash casserole.

That was 2016's battle plan--long before gluten freedom--so this year's looks a little different.  The baked-squash casserole is made with breadcrumbs, so it's no longer on the menu.  I'm making a GF cornbread-sausage stuffing this year in place of the squash and the wild rice au gratin.  But if you want to make one it's very similar to this:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/206515/southern-baked-yellow-squash/

My main variation is that I oven-roast the squash chunks instead of boiling them.  It makes for a better texture in the finished dish.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I know why you have that San Antonio Magnet!

I remember telling you about it.  B)  In fact I think I posted that same picture in my NF challenge at the time.

• Like 4

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Friday, we went to see my nephew in his first school play! He did a pretty good job!  There were a few other seventh graders in the play, it's interesting because there hasn't always been a lot of interest in activities in this school until Covid. After everyone was stuck at home for a year, they all signed up for ALL the extra-curricular activities, which seems to be a theme in other districts too. Ernie is in choir, marching band, concert band, show choir, art club, drama club, school council, and I think that's it.  He's particularly excited about show choir this year, so I can't wait to see that concert.

This Christmas, I want to buy the majority of presents in person. I miss Christmas shopping in decorated stores and just seeing what is available. when online shopping first came out, and we were really busy, it felt really cool having stuff arrive to the house. But then it started feeling super impersonal and I hate that. Christmas should be personal. I think everyone in the family feels the same way, because we're getting together more to do some fun festive things and we've all agreed that presents are not the star of the show this year. So I think we'll do some shopping together, and it will be fun! 

• Like 4

Cat Fail GIF by MOODMAN

Summing up my efforts to exercise this week...

Yesterday, I cleaned for about an hour and a half, and then decided to finish the grocery shopping. Today will be a little busier, we're going to move furniture and set up the tables.  The Visiting Uncle arrived last night, and threw around some major energy. He's overworked, hasn't slept or eaten properly in months, is smoking a lot again, and spends too much time watching the news so he's super cranky and ready to fight.  He needs some rest, good food, and some exercise. Which he'll get today because he's totally helping move the furniture around. ?

Now it's time for coffee. Have an awesome day!

• Like 4

OMG!!

Spoiler

Ernie, the almost 13 year old nephew cleaned his room last night after my brother has badgered him to do it for a YEAR and then casually asks my brother if he could drive a girl home that he wants to hang out with. She came home with him today and he said "This is my room, sorry I didn't vacuum" like it wasn't a wreck just 24 hours ago. 

I LOVE IT SO MUCH. HAHAHAHAHA!!

My brother is really enjoying this phase, and so are the rest of us :)

Also, uncle update: he's still itching to fight someone, but he's in a much better mood. We ruin all his fun with our warm and loving selves.  :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

We ruin all his fun with our warm and loving selves.  :D 

Keep shining, friend!!  Keep shining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Today is Thanksgiving!

I've counted all my calories for today, and I'm about 300 calories over the limit. I may end up taking a slice of pie and saving it for tomorrow and that would put me closer to my daily goal. I'll see how I feel in the moment. I may save the pie and drink more wine. :D 

My folks and I are playing a game in the Reminders App. we're sharing a list filled with the little quirky and also annoying/rude things our family does and checking them off whenever it happens. It turns that constant mild annoyance into something more silly.  And yes, our own quirky and annoying/rude habits are on the list too. :) One of mine is "hiding in the bathroom from everyone"   We've checked off four items already! . It's really helping my Dad and his anxiety over holidays so if it continues to go well, we may do this for Christmas too.  He's already like "Oooh we're gonna get so many checkmarks today!" :D  

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

23 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My folks and I are playing a game in the Reminders App. we're sharing a list filled with the little quirky and also annoying/rude things our family does and checking them off whenever it happens. It turns that constant mild annoyance into something more silly.

OMG!!  What a great idea!!  

• Thanks 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

29 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Today is Thanksgiving!

I've counted all my calories for today, and I'm about 300 calories over the limit. I may end up taking a slice of pie and saving it for tomorrow and that would put me closer to my daily goal. I'll see how I feel in the moment. I may save the pie and drink more wine. :D 

My folks and I are playing a game in the Reminders App. we're sharing a list filled with the little quirky and also annoying/rude things our family does and checking them off whenever it happens. It turns that constant mild annoyance into something more silly.  And yes, our own quirky and annoying/rude habits are on the list too. :) One of mine is "hiding in the bathroom from everyone"   We've checked off four items already! . It's really helping my Dad and his anxiety over holidays so if it continues to go well, we may do this for Christmas too.  He's already like "Oooh we're gonna get so many checkmarks today!" :D  

Next step is to make bingo cards

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

OMG!!  What a great idea!!  

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Next step is to make bingo cards

I wanted to, but the lists are apparently more discreet? also Dad can’t see the cards anymore but I could make some generic cards for next year and we can all play ?

• Like 2

The game went really well. I avoided a lot of our annoying relatives, so I honestly couldn't tell you if more stuff happened or not because they were all the way down at that end of the table.  :) 

And now it's pie for breakfast day! I'm not eating pie :D but I am going to eat a banana, drink a lot of green tea and clean the house. Yay! Have a great day everyone!

• Like 3

I'm ready for some quiet. The Visiting Uncle goes home tomorrow and we resume our busy schedule again as Dad's appointments all pick back up. 

I'm really tired. This week I went back to putting other people first, and it's exhausting, and I can't keep this up. So I need to take care of myself first, and then I'll feel restored enough to be able to help everyone else. But I'm also going to be mindful of overfunctioning, and make sure I don't do that. It just works so much better than the Old Way that we've kinda slid back into the last few weeks. Nope. We're picking up the Healthier Way. That worked better for everyone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

We're picking up the Healthier Way. That worked better for everyone. 

This is so significant.  The new way works better not just for you.  Kinda like a beneficial AoE.  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:05 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

The game went really well. I avoided a lot of our annoying relatives, so I honestly couldn't tell you if more stuff happened or not because they were all the way down at that end of the table.  :) 

And now it's pie for breakfast day! I'm not eating pie :D but I am going to eat a banana, drink a lot of green tea and clean the house. Yay! Have a great day everyone!

Were you avoiding them by hiding in the bathroom?  ?  It's a good thing you didn't make it a drinking game. 

I'm glad to hear you managed a good holiday and sounds like you did an awesome job managing your goals that day too.   And pie for breakfast is always a win.  This is the 2nd time today I've heard someone mention it so I'm definitely implementing for next year.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

4 hours ago, Shello said:

Were you avoiding them by hiding in the bathroom?  ?  It's a good thing you didn't make it a drinking game. 

I'm glad to hear you managed a good holiday and sounds like you did an awesome job managing your goals that day too.   And pie for breakfast is always a win.  This is the 2nd time today I've heard someone mention it so I'm definitely implementing for next year.  

I didnt' have to hide in the bathroom this year, which is a win in itself!  PIe for breakfast day is really fun! Unfortunately all the pies were from my cousin's kid's swim team fundraiser and were awful. A good pie is in my future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

all the pies were from my cousin's kid's swim team fundraiser and were awful.

image.png.e72991ca91b3010ef1946ad66791f178.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yeah… I didn’t say anything, I just quietly threw my slice out and had some wine lol

Wise choice

• Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: Life is not Always SET

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

1 hour ago, RES said:

Wise choice

Thank you!

57 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Every so often I'm reminded of what a blessing-in-disguise Celiac can be.  :)  I only eat pies that I've made.

That does ensure quality. I make good pies. My mom does too. This whole swim team pie situation has gone on for two years now, and it's gonna get contentious if it continues. And seriously, why are my uncles ordering so many pies? We literally had 8 pies for 17 people. :D :D SO MANY PIES

• Like 2