Forums are back in action! ×

Introduction <insert nifty title here>

Hello everyone!  

My name is Keeley.  I'm 43 years old.  I'm 5'3" and weigh in at 260 pounds (as of July 1st).  I was always a chubby child growing up (poor eating habits and a love of books) and the bad habits continued into adulthood. Cubical life and a bad coca-cola habit.  Oh and cupcakes.  And pie.  You get the idea.

When the big 4-0 was just around the corner I was successful in getting down from 260 pounds to 185 pounds over the course of 5 1/2 months.  I went on a vacation and never got back on the wagon.  Last year I went from 270 to 230 and then went on a vacation and had trouble getting back on track. Vacations are the death of all of my healthy endeavors.  And I have a vacation coming up in September (San Francisco & Yosemite National Park). This time I want to make sure I don't get derailed during and after my trip.

I am now 15 days into a Whole30.  The crazy sugar cravings are non-existent and I haven't killed anyone.. yet. :)  I'm getting back into preparing every meal myself because I can't trust that out food would be Whole30 compliant.  

A Planet Fitness just opened not too far from my house and I had planned on joining after I finished my Whole30.  I wanted to get my food and diet under control before I added in anything else.  Baby steps, you know?  Also I need to start training for San Francisco walking and some easy Yosemite hikes.  I've had a relatively easy time on this Whole30 so I went ahead and joined the gym yesterday and got in a 45 minute walk.  Mostly what I need in a gym right now is a place to walk that's not outside in the Texas heat.  I'm going to start with just walking and building the habit of going to the gym. Last year I was walking at the park by my house, but I was restricted to late in the evenings or early in the mornings and I'd like to have more options.

I discovered a love of hiking a couple of years ago while at Zion National Park, which is crazy because I am such a city girl.  I've even found a couple of nature areas around town that have some decent hiking.  It's been almost a year since I've been out on my local trails (what with not being anywhere near my wagon) and I'd like to get back to going out there at least once a week.

My short term goals are to finish my Whole30 (and not go wild on day 31) and to get to the gym at least 3 times a week (if not more because I'm just walking at this point) and to start wearing my Fitbit again and hitting at least 10,000 steps a day.

Nerd stuff.. Everquest was my big time sink years ago, I think I lost seven years of my life to Everquest.  I dabbled in few other games but they didn't really stick like EQ.  Today I don't even own a computer with enough power to play those types of games and pretty much limit myself to Dungeon Hunter V on my iPad.  Thankfully there's a limit to how long you can play at one time.   My other huge time sink is reading.  I read a bit of everything, but lean more toward Urban Fantasy than anything else.  Harry Dresden and the Iron Druid being two of my favorite series.  

I'm looking forward to being more active in the NF boards and not just a lurker.   :)

• Like 2

Keeley - Level 0 Recruit 

STR: 0     DEX: 0     STA: 0     CON: 0     WIS: 0     CHA: 0

current challenge

Walk 42 miles

16.25 of 42

38.7%
38.7%

Restaurant Meals

3 of 6 (or less)

50.0%
50.0%

Urban fantasy? Have you ever read Bedlam's Bard by Mercedes Lackey?

And congrats on working so hard for your goals! You've got this :)

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Welcome to the rebellion, always glad to have more Texas Nerds.  Don't know what your schedule is like, but as long as there aren't any skeeters causing problems you can still go outside in the morning or the evening (and even if there are skeeters, you can always get some OFF). Short of that, a gym can be a handy place to use a treadmill. Good luck.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Urban fantasy? Have you ever read Bedlam's Bard by Mercedes Lackey?

And congrats on working so hard for your goals! You've got this :)

I've read the Valdemar Series through Winds of Fury and a couple of her other books.. one that comes to mind is If Pay Thee not in Gold.  But I've not read the Bedlam series.  I'll have to give it a look.  Thanks!

Welcome to the rebellion, always glad to have more Texas Nerds.  Don't know what your schedule is like, but as long as there aren't any skeeters causing problems you can still go outside in the morning or the evening (and even if there are skeeters, you can always get some OFF). Short of that, a gym can be a handy place to use a treadmill. Good luck.

I live on a lake so the mosquitoes are always on the bad side around my place this time of year.  I do a bit of quilting and have a large quilt frame and quilting machine in my garage and while we were enjoying the unusual cooler weather I was trying to get out there in the evenings, but was getting eaten alive even with the off.  Now that the heat has set in.. my quilt shop is closed until Fall.  At least where I work I have some flexibility with when I come in, so I can work around being able to get in walks outside, but I have to make sure I make critical meetings so I can't count on it.  I walk outside when I can but I needed the gym so that there's no excuse :)  

Keeley - Level 0 Recruit 

current challenge

Walk 42 miles

16.25 of 42

38.7%
38.7%

Restaurant Meals

3 of 6 (or less)

50.0%
50.0%

I've read the Valdemar Series through Winds of Fury and a couple of her other books.. one that comes to mind is If Pay Thee not in Gold.  But I've not read the Bedlam series.  I'll have to give it a look.  Thanks!

I live on a lake so the mosquitoes are always on the bad side around my place this time of year.  I do a bit of quilting and have a large quilt frame and quilting machine in my garage and while we were enjoying the unusual cooler weather I was trying to get out there in the evenings, but was getting eaten alive even with the off.  Now that the heat has set in.. my quilt shop is closed until Fall.  At least where I work I have some flexibility with when I come in, so I can work around being able to get in walks outside, but I have to make sure I make critical meetings so I can't count on it.  I walk outside when I can but I needed the gym so that there's no excuse :)

Oh my gosh I've never met anyone else who's read those! Also If I Pay Thee Not in Gold. I finished rereading that yesterday as a matter of fact. 

Valdemar is my favorite. Lackey is one of my favorite authors as well. :)

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Oh my gosh I've never met anyone else who's read those! Also If I Pay Thee Not in Gold. I finished rereading that yesterday as a matter of fact. 

Valdemar is my favorite. Lackey is one of my favorite authors as well. :)

Yesterday!  Wow isn't that perfect timing!  I was just looking at her website since you reminded me of her.  The other books I read by her are the Diana Tregarde series which I think was really my first ever UF books I read.  Up until that point it was all David Eddings, Piers Anthony and Terry Brooks.

Keeley - Level 0 Recruit 

current challenge

Walk 42 miles

16.25 of 42

38.7%
38.7%

Restaurant Meals

3 of 6 (or less)

50.0%
50.0%

Yesterday!  Wow isn't that perfect timing!  I was just looking at her website since you reminded me of her.  The other books I read by her are the Diana Tregarde series which I think was really my first ever UF books I read.  Up until that point it was all David Eddings, Piers Anthony and Terry Brooks.

Eddings is my hero. I've been reading his books since I was around 12. Piers Anthony I read a decent bit of (Spell for Chameleon) and I don't know if I've read Terry Brooks before.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log