Forums are back in action! ×

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

I respawned today after falling off the nerdfitness wagon in a spectacular way. I've been missing the way fitness used to feel, and I'm truly fed up with my crap behaviours. I started doing some yoga at home just to alleviate some of the chronic aches I've been experiencing, so that has helped a bit over the last few weeks. Now, I've signed myself up for a paper route (I do not need the money, just the exercise), and I'll be starting to volunteer at a farm in the next week or so (shovelling poop is good exercise - so is toting around buckets of oats.) 

This is my plan - I think I am more motivated when I know that people or critters are dependent on me. Just as a way to start back into it. I'm also loading my skates into the trunk of my car, so that I can go for a quick skate after work (I'm a former roller derby player.) I just know that I will let myself down over and over and over again, so I thought if I built in some expectations from others, I might be able to build some discipline and some intestinal fortitude to do this for myself. 

Any thoughts/advice? 

Those are good ways to stay motivated! 

And the best thing I've found for helping with the letting oneself down is to be gentle with yourself. Say to yourself something like "Okay, this wasn't the best day, but that's okay. I will do better tomorrow." Take it one day at a time so that you don't feel overwhelmed. I do that with food. I'll eat something stupid and say "That wasn't a good idea and wasn't the best thing you could have eaten but I did <insert good thing> here or I will go do <insert good thing> and I will do better tomorrow/at the next meal." Sometimes it takes a while to get to the tomorrow where I actually do better, but you can't tear yourself up when you mess up. Gradually, your habits will switch over to better ones and you'll find that things are slowly starting to sink in.

Building new behaviors takes time, as Steve mentions in several of his articles. But it does help and is worth :)

You've got a great start on your physical fitness, but make sure you don't neglect the mental side, it is so important! I couldn't have done it without a mindset change.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

I respawned today after falling off the nerdfitness wagon in a spectacular way. I've been missing the way fitness used to feel, and I'm truly fed up with my crap behaviours. I started doing some yoga at home just to alleviate some of the chronic aches I've been experiencing, so that has helped a bit over the last few weeks. Now, I've signed myself up for a paper route (I do not need the money, just the exercise), and I'll be starting to volunteer at a farm in the next week or so (shovelling poop is good exercise - so is toting around buckets of oats.) 

This is my plan - I think I am more motivated when I know that people or critters are dependent on me. Just as a way to start back into it. I'm also loading my skates into the trunk of my car, so that I can go for a quick skate after work (I'm a former roller derby player.) I just know that I will let myself down over and over and over again, so I thought if I built in some expectations from others, I might be able to build some discipline and some intestinal fortitude to do this for myself. 

Any thoughts/advice? 

Welcome back! Respawning is always a good first step :D I found that doing small energetic activities helped me remember and appreciate how good moving about made me feel, as opposed to slugging about on the couch 24/7. I know having someone relying on me to be moving around gives me less excuses to skip said commitment (which is currently fresh meat training for roller derby, no less!) 

I do feel like I have to pull you up on saying "I will let myself down" though - because while you might make mistakes or suffer setbacks, you can use them to modify your plan for next time or learn something new about yourself. Guilt about messing up held me back for a long time but creating new habits is a lot like learning a new skill; Messing up gives you a chance to change your strategy. 

Baby steps. Yes! you've made a great start, so don't get down on yourself if something doesn't go your way. Keep going!

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit