Forums are back in action! ×

rolled a 20 for this resurrection

...or at least, I hope I did!

According to my notifications, it's been a little over a year since I was last here, although I haven't been careening downhill that ENTIRE time. (I just tend to need a lot of freedom/time away from the computer, so longterm relationships with forums don't usually happen.) But I've recently started backtracking hard, and I'm sensing I need help getting back on the right path.

The plus side is I got accepted to a bachelor program and am doing very well! The con side is that I haven't been doing anything except driving, sitting, and studying for the past three months. Time to get back on the wagon.

I've recently got back up to running a slow 5k, and I've been playing around with weights in the gym, but commitment issues are making me think I might want to look into bodyweight exercises more. I also need to work on mobility issues, because I physically can't do a 'proper' squat (which caused an injury when I unbalanced while doing a barbell squat last summer, around June) because my ankles (mostly left) can't dorsiflex far enough. I compensate with a lot of butt winking and/or too wide of a stance, so I want a stronger foundation.

Although I don't know if I actually want to give up my bench press. We'll see. ;) My biggest problem honestly is time! (Isn't it everyone's?) I know so many different things I COULD be doing that it's hard to narrow it down to what I am going to ACTUALLY do. I have a true libra's indecisiveness. Finding time for running AND strength training is...really hard, but I l o v e running, I've found. It gets me outside, I feel great, I don't want to give it up. But adding up pre-run warmup and dressing, plus the showering/stretching afterwards, plus the run itself... It's a lot to need to add strength training to, but I know I've got to! 

I think my issue is that so many things went wrong with EVERYTHING I'd been doing that it's hard to pick up the pieces. I need to work on my diet and my exercise, and I keep trying to get back to where I was (I was doing really good with both, several months ago) but I can't make all those changes at once. I think that's the hardest part for me: deliberately agreeing with myself to only focus on one big change at a time. With school being an ENORMOUS change, I can't handle too much else at once.

Anyway. Wanted to make it official somewhere! I'm eagerly waiting for that next 6 week challenge to come up. In the meantime, I've got my own basic dietary goal I'll be trying out, which basically amounts to limiting my sugar intake. I'm a fiend for coffee and pastries, but right now I'm focusing on swapping out tea (nothing added) for most of that coffee. (I've got Real Goal numbers, don't worry, they're just a bit...sad to share with a group, haha.)

You can do this! Starting small is key :) My small goals are the ones I've kept up. I did one challenge where I ate a single fruit or veggie with most of my meals. Now, I do that just out of habit. It helps so much!

Maybe starting with your mobility issues is the way to begin? Yoga is good for strengths, mobility, and it's probably good for pre or post run :) It can take as long as you want it to!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63