Forums are back in action! ×

So I've been interested in Parkour for a few years now, and finally I just got tired of being rather overweight and not doing anything to pursue something I'm so interested in.  Yesterday, I started a basic routine at a local softball field (plenty of benches, steps, and shallow hills to play around in) to do the old "the floor is lava" thing, interspersed with mild and basic work-out routines. My biggest problems are of personality and situation.

Situation-wise, I'm homeless, spending time at a library or bathing at friends' houses, and my food comes from the Salvation Army while I wait for government housing to kick in.  That means I have little control over my diet (but on the other hand, they don't really feed you junk, and it's easy to avoid the not-so-good things while going for the better-for-you things, so), and I can't buy even free weights or anything.  Personality-wise, I have a hard time keeping momentum on things like this; when something gets too difficult, I admit I get sorely tempted to put it off for just a little bit, which invariably results in me sliding back to square one.  I'm also not one for set "goals" beyond the ephemeral; they tend to loom over me and I usually just cave.

On the other hand--getting moving and getting started on Parkour is fun enough where as long as I focus on that fun and not things like weight loss, getting in shape, or any other "goal", I think I can actually make it through--at least keep it going longer, which I'd take.  And as for hte situation--it's not in my control right now, so I don't let myself care.  I do what I can, so I can work my way up to doing what I want.  The real test will be when the newness wears off, if I can keep it going. 

Sometimes You Plant Seeds For Trees You Will Never Sit Under

Wow dude, you're really doing well in trying to make the best of a bad situation. I'm so impressed that you want to seriously take your health and fitness in hand right now when you've definitely got enough to worry about! 

That 'floor is lava' seems like a great way to practice Parkour. I'm not a practitioner, but the point seems to be having fun. You seem to grasp that, and it makes it a lot easier.

And with the goal thing, maybe trying to frame it in a different manner than just goals. Maybe instead of specific goals, you just say you want to be the best person you can be and make each decision with that mindset. It might help!

Hope things with the housing and such get straightened out soon!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Thank you for the reply!  I see it like--I can't control very much right now, so instead of backsliding and moping about that, I can and should work on the things I can control, which is really just myself.  I know I have the power to get into shape, to practice something I've been admittedly enamored with for a while, so I need to do it.  Everything else will come or not (I've filled out paperwork, bugged people at offices, so on and so on, so it's just a waiting game now).

The "floor is lava" thing I got from another site, Apex Movement, so that combined with the tips and such I found elsewhere on Nerd Fitness (the latter along with the sense of community being what prompted me to join up here) were great in finally getting off my duff.

And the goals thing--yeah, that's it exactly.  In this case, I want to get into Parkour.  I don't worry about certain skill levels, I don't worry about getting to a specific point in it--I just want to get into it, and that general focus (oxymoronic as it may seem) really helps me.

I don't, actually. Right now, The only luxury I have is a pre-paid smart phone, the cheapest I could find. When I do get a place again, Netflix is definitely near the top of the list of luxuries to check out.

I saw clips on YouTube, and it looked neat, though with as thin a plot as "Tracers". Though, I did dig that movie, so.

• Like 2